It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Superposed Question RE: safety
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:00 am 
Utility Grade

It has been almost 20 years since I had a Superposed, but I recently acquired a nice shooter ('62 Belgium 12 ga. 28" LTRK Lightning) and the safety is not behaving as I remember. Of course, me remembering anything correctly at this point is an occasion for uproarious hilarity on the part of my grandsons--who think they're putting one over on the old fart when they insist that my VA benefits were earned in the Spanish-American War--but I digress.... Now where was I...? Oh, right. I seem to remember that the safety reset to the "safe" position automatically when I opened (or closed?) the action, whether I had fired a shell, dry fired, or just pushed the safety off and left it there before working the action.

The reason I ask is, that this new-to-me Superposed does not function that way at all. The safety does not reset to "safe" when I work the action. I pulled the stock, and the receiver has been very well cleaned sometime in the recent past (probably no more than 10-20 shells fired since cleaning) and the previous owner denies all knowledge of any such disassembly and cleaning. He doth protest rather more than necessary.

Anyway, is my memory faulty, or did someone leave out a part upon reassembly? The only schematics I can find on-line are grainy and too coarse to be much help. Any ideas what might have been left out or reassembled incorrectly? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Superposed Question RE: safety
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Automatic safeties are not much liked by clay target shooters. If the previous owner used the gun for shooting clays, it may well be that he disabled (or had disabled) the auto safety function. I'm not as familiar with the Superposed safety as I am with other brands; however, there is usually some kind of linkage (probably a rod) that is removed to disable the auto safety.

With the stock removed, I'd look carefully for parts that do not move when the action is opened. Also look for polished areas that look like then once had something rubbing against them. That might be where a rod or other link was removed.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:51 am 
Limited Edition

My safety on my 68 Superposed lighting is not automatic and neither is my Citori 20 ga lighting or Citori skeet. If fact I don't think I've ever seen a Browning with the automatic safety..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:53 am 
Presentation Grade

The superposed does not have an automatic safety. Yours is functioning correctly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

None of my Superposed guns have automatic safeties. My Citori doesn't have one, and I don't think Browning uses them.

Beretta shotguns have auto safeties, and they drive me nuts! So much so I had a qualified gunsmith remove the auto-safeties from my Berettas.

But I guess it's all a matter of what you're used to . . .

CFB

Support this Forum! Become a Bonus Member . . . Click on the URL, below!
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118027

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:02 pm 
Utility Grade

Gentlemen:
Thank you all for your prompt and thoughtful responses. I'm pleased to know that my angst was all due to a lousy memory. Maybe the boys are right about those benefits after all....

As always, this site is the best in the shooting world. Thanks again to all of you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:42 am 
Tournament Grade

BSS has autosafety.