It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: BROWNING A5 DISASSEMBLY
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

Mineral spirits is a lot cheaper than Hoppes.

Did you find the problem during disassembly?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:22 pm 
Crown Grade

I've got some odorless mineral spirits, I hadn't thought about that for gun cleaning. I'll give it a try.

I do use it on stocks, and this one really needs it. A previous owner glopped varnish all over it, even on the metal tang that extends behind the trigger. Not only that, but there was a leather recoil pad thing tied onto the end of the stock, covering half the stock, and they applied the varnish up to the leather, but not under it. I'll have to sand it down and refinish it.

The rear stock, especially around the grip, seems as if it's been sanded and ground to reduce its width. I don't know if they just made stocks that way 92 years ago or if this one has been customized, but the serial number inside the stock does match the other numbers. So I do want to try to preserve it.

I'm still not certain why the bolt would not pull back. The action spring may have been hung up, but I don't know. Everything just kind of flew out once I removed that small lateral pin from the center of the bolt. I should have taken the action spring out first, but I didn't. Won't do that again!

It really does amaze me how well these guns were made back then. The thought and design and machining is amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:43 am 
Diamond Grade

DallasCMT wrote:
I'm still not certain why the bolt would not pull back. The action spring may have been hung up, but I don't know. Everything just kind of flew out once I removed that small lateral pin from the center of the bolt. I should have taken the action spring out first, but I didn't. Won't do that again!

It really does amaze me how well these guns were made back then. The thought and design and machining is amazing.

That made me smile! Hope you found all the parts...

The quality and craftsmanship that went into these guns got me hooked. Good luck with your
first Auto-5 project!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:48 pm 
Crown Grade

Curious, the Remington model 11 looks just like the A5, I assume it was licensed to be build by Remington for a period. Well, my aunt has one and it's also a 16 ga.

So are the 11's and A5's the same, screw for screw? I don't have the 11 here in front of me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

When the Remington Autoloading Shotgun (changed to Model 11 in 1911) was introduced in 1905 it was almost identical to the FN produced Auto-5 of 1903. Probably the biggest differences were due to the Belgian gun being metric. But the guns evolved separately, with the Auto-5 having only minor changes from 1909 to 1951. The Remington kept many of the original features until 1928 when they did away with the "suicide safety". Remington changed the firing pin and bolt design several times along the way. The biggest practical difference is that the Browning's have a milled area at the rear of the receiver and the Remingtons don't. Hand cycling the gun by pushing down on the barrel can cause a Remington to fire when the firing pin hits the back of the receiver. There's supposed to be a buffer in there but there's a good chance that it's missing.

In 1909 John Browning redesigned the Auto-5 for the 16 gauge shell, shortening the receiver to save weight. Remington just scaled the gun down when their 16 came out in the '30's.

The changes to the Auto-5 were documented by Martin "Sauerfan" right here on ShotgunWorld. In Slim's words, "he made us all experts".

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=216472