Thanks to all for the knowledge that is shared here. I recently tore down my Remington Sportsman 48 then moved on to my Browning Dbl Auto. After much trepidation I ordered some proper tools and ventured in. http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... 25476.aspx
I have primarily been following the field manual instructions provided above. I did watch Arts disassembly video once however lately when I try to view it fom his website it falters. I have confirmed that with other SGW members to eliminate the error was mine. It is also one of the only videos that has not been loaded onto YouTube.
I made the plunge and ordered this video from Midway USA for backup.
American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI) Technical Manual & Armorer's Course Video "Browning A-5, Remington 11, & Savage 720 Shotguns" DVDhttp://www.midwayusa.com/product/464714 ... otguns-dvd
It's good however my personal preference is Art's however without a reliable connection I wanted backup. I admit it I'm a belt and suspenders kinda guy.
For reference the A5 is a Lt 12 from 1960 with a 28" VR MOD barrel. I purchased it years ago and have shot thousands of targets with it. Lately upon ejecting a shell the breech block would hang up. With a little persuasion and a little lubricant I was usually back at it. It should be noted this occurred in February with temps below or at freezing. This firearm is not a safe queen and shoots reliably in all conditions.
When I removed the butt plate screws it seemed like dust wafted out of the holes. The butt plate is original and I doubt it was ever removed. It is frozen on the receiver. After fiddling with it for a few minutes I put them back in an moved on as I would prefer not to damage the butt plate or the stock just for curiosity.
I removed the lock screw and tang screw and removed the stock. It was reassuring to see the serial number matched the receiver. Plenty of soot fell out of this area.
Next I removed the trigger group screws. My confidence was rising as the hollow ground screwdriver bits worked flawlessly. Then the trigger group hung down and would not fall out of the receiver? Hmmm? Seemed like something was binding it? While flipping it over and back and forth to try find a solution a small shard of metal fell out from???? Still not sure where from yet. To be continued. I suspect it might have come from the breech block assembly as Art addressed this as a common failure in his video. Sure wish I could view it again.
I then realized the hammer pin was sticking out proudly on the extractor side of the receiver. How and the hell am I going to get that pin moved in while it's still encased in the receiver? I played with it for awhile hoping that gravity would be my friend. No such luck.
I then looked at the field manual to see which steps were next. I proceeded to remove the carrier assembly. Still not enough room to wiggle any tools next to the hammer pin.
Next I removed the action spring assembly which requires a "spring protective area" the metal plug pin came out easily from the "wooden" action spring plug. Classic Belgium.
With all of these components removed I was able to wedge a tapered shim made of plastic between the inside of the receiver and force the pin flush and drop the trigger group. That's enough success for now.
Tomorrow I'll drive the pin out of the breech block assembly and start soaking all these components. I hope to discover where this metal shard was attached. Looking at the amount of grit and grime I suspect I might be the first person to see these components since they left Belgium 55 years ago.
Perhaps I can post some photos tomorrow.