It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 563 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Browning A5 16 Gauge Serial Number Date Guide
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:52 am 
Presentation Grade

I am not an expert, just a collector. You have a very hard to find, 1936, standard weight, A5,16ga, 3 Shot.

It is impossible to evaluate condition from pictures but this one seems to be in fair condition.

Pros: very rare

Cons: not factory original
Opened up to 2 3/4 and stock modified

There are not many that know how rare these are. As a shooter, this is my favorite gun in a 26 inch barrel, non-rib, with a modified choke. They are lightening fast and point like your finger. The rarity makes it collectable and the condition makes it a shooter.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:00 am 
Tournament Grade

Goad wrote:
culot wrote:
Right now im happy as Puppy ! ....and i have to say i got it for a steal 259 € /250

Very nice gun! I know you are more shooter than collector so I cringe as I say have fun.

If you lived in South Dakota I would trade you one of my $1,000 Sweet Sixteen for it.

PS they have a reputation of not being very durable. Receiver is subject to cracks and the finish will show wear just from light carry.

If i only get it home ! German seller is Sloooooow and i havent even mention the war !:D

Do you now where they crack and why ? wrong ring setting ?

/ P

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:05 pm 
Field Grade

Goad wrote:
I am not an expert, just a collector. You have a very hard to find, 1936, standard weight, A5,16ga, 3 Shot.

It is impossible to evaluate condition from pictures but this one seems to be in fair condition.

Pros: very rare

Cons: not factory original
Opened up to 2 3/4 and stock modified

There are not many that know how rare these are. As a shooter, this is my favorite gun in a 26 inch barrel, non-rib, with a modified choke. They are lightening fast and point like your finger. The rarity makes it collectable and the condition makes it a shooter.

Ty very much for the feedback. I have heard that the Particular brand of Rubber Buttpad(some) were factory installed. Don't know it there is a way to confirm if a particular gun was factory Modified or not.

The 2 3/4 upgrade you are correct. I purchased gun to flip so I probably better not shoot it or.. she may be staying put...lol...

Are you certain on the 1936?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

Browning may have a record of this gun. If so they could confirm the sale date and configuration.

As stated, the Serial Number Date Guide is an approximation not definitive. According to the S/V A5 Book your serial number is in the 1936 range.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:07 pm 
Field Grade

So I call Lenny he says. Gun was sold Sept1936 in Ohio. For $34.13 . It's a grade 1 3shot 26" Modified

Congrats on the year Goad!

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

Goad wrote:
This is a first year 1909 A5 16ga. According to S/V FN made 3200 A5 16ga in 1909. Only eight were sent to the USA. This is not one of the eight. I suspect it was brought home by a WWI soldier. It went up for auction in an estate sale of a gunsmith. I tried to get some personalized information but was told it was probably acquired by the gunsmith years ago without any documentation that survived.

Here are a few pictures as it arrived after I unpacked it this afternoon. It is in better condition than I anticipated. It will go to Art this week. I have taken nearly 100 pics of it.

You will never guess what UPS dropped off!!!!! The 8 month wait was worth it. I love how the satin rust blue dances in the sunlight.

Just in time for the 16ga shoot in St Paul, Mn. next weekend.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:20 am 
Presentation Grade

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:16 am 
Limited Edition

Outstanding!
Is it rust blue or hot dipped?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:34 am 
Field Grade

Goad wrote:

Possum on a Gumbush! I'm still new Goad. What is the story on this beauty. Is that original finish? That stock looks straight out of the woodshop. As I was telling you the 3 shot Browning 16 is in transit to me along with my first C-Grade model 11. But the stock is broken. I have never bought a damaged gun but I couldn't pass this one up. But I need a stock repairer...lol...Image
host photos free

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:20 am 
Presentation Grade

RMORR wrote:
Outstanding!

Thanks
Art did a rust blue on this gun. His hot blue has a gloss finish. This rust blue has a deep, rich, satin finish.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:28 am 
Presentation Grade

[/quote]
Possum on a Gumbush! I'm still new Goad. What is the story on this beauty. Is that original finish? [/quote]

The story on this one is Art's Gun Shop premium restoration on a 1909 first year 16ga A5.

The pics on my two previmus post are before and after pictures.

The back story starts on page 21 in this thread.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:54 am 
Field Grade

RMORR wrote:
Outstanding!

Where is NC are you? Also do you know if anyone who could repair that stock? What are you guys thoughts on if that stock can be repaired?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:54 am 
Field Grade

RMORR wrote:
Outstanding!

Where is NC are you? Also do you know if anyone who could repair that stock? What are you guys thoughts on if that stock can be repaired?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:07 pm 
Limited Edition

Harrisburg, just outside Charlotte. No my local wordsmith died a couple years ago.8

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:07 pm 
Limited Edition

Harrisburg, just outside Charlotte. No my local wordsmith died a couple years ago.8

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:43 pm 
Field Grade

RMORR wrote:

I was in your neck of the woods 2 weeks ago for the 4WIDE top fuel! I'm 50 Miles from the coast. So don't guess will be shooten anytime soon...lol... sorry to hear about your Woodman. I'm lookin one.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:52 am 
Presentation Grade

Congratulations, Goad! I know you are excited to finally get this one back. Kudos to Art's on the restoration. I love the rust blue satin finish. The wood grain popped- right out on that gun, too.

"What's Next?" :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:26 am 
Presentation Grade

Anatidae wrote:
Congratulations, Goad!

"What's Next?" :lol:

Thanks, I saw the hidden grain in the rough but Art and sons exceeded my expectations on every aspect of the restoration.

Next, I am meeting with Angelo Bee Monday in LA. He believes he did the engraving on my Pachmeyr custom Winchester 21, 16ga in the early 70s. He said he would only authenticate and document it if he can examine it. He told me to stop in anytime after 9am Monday if I was in the neighborhood.

My wife and I will be in the neighborhood having breakfast in San Fernando Monday am.

I will also be negotiating on my two barrel 16ga/12ga set Pre-war Superposed Angelo Bee upgrade. He agreed to do the Flushing Pheasants and Grouse but we are negotiating how high of an upgrade. The grandest would be 24ct gold birds and border. The most modest will be in high relief. I won't decide until we negotiate the price Monday. I brought a couple guns to barter with including the FN C1 Superposed.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

I hope it goes well, but I also hope the C1 comes home with you.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:13 am 
Presentation Grade

The meeting with Angelo Bee went very well. Cooler heads prevailed. No Midas, Diana or gold birds. He persuaded me to go with his light scroll work with flushing Pheasants on one side and his grouse scene on the other. He plans to bring it to the 2018 Shot Show in Las Vegas. I will pick it up there.

He also authenticated and will issue me a letter documenting his work on my Pachmayr Custom Ducks Unlimited 16ga Winchester model 21.

Frank Pachmayr sponsored his migration to the USA when he left Browning in 1975. He shared some fascinating stories about his relationship with Frank and his early days here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 563 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next