It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Browning A5 16 Gauge Serial Number Date Guide
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:37 am 
Presentation Grade

Jim P wrote:
I hope I'm not the only one that has these moments

Of couse we have. Dont forget to use use a drill to skellatize the barrel ring. Please post the pics of the cutting torched half moon cut outs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:57 am 
Presentation Grade

Five forks wrote:
Goad, what year is the std and what year is the swt? Are they configured the same? Do you attribute the weight anomaly to be due to wood density?

I dont have all my guns readily available. They are a couple hundred miles away. Its gonna take some reaserch.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've seen on GunBroker some of the examples of shade tree engineering that people have attempted on decent guns and it's enough to bring tears to your eyes isn't it? While I'd never do it when I've had an A-5 action apart it sure seems to me that if a person was trying to lighten it up there is a lot of places metal could be removed without taking away from the structural integrity and lightning it up a bunch. When I do think about doing something stupid the flash backs of ones I've seen keeps my hands in my pockets. I'd probably wind up with something that would kick the crap outta me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

Glen Jensen former Browning Historian told me a modified A5 with a gold trigger will never be a Sweet Sixteen.

I have also thought of ways to make both the standard and Sweet Sixteen lighter. What keeps me from fantasy to modification is the reality of mutilation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

[quote="Goad"]Glen Jensen former Browning Historian told me a modified A5 with a gold trigger will never be a Sweet Sixteen.

I have also thought of ways to make both the standard and Sweet Sixteen lighter. What keeps me from fantasy to modification is the reality of mutilation.[/quote]

It is a terribly arrogant thought of someone to think they could improve much if at all on any of JMBs ideas. The guys got pretty solid history of gun design. Like a gillion miles ahead of who ever maybe in 2nd place.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:38 pm 
Limited Edition

Back from vacation bump...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:24 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi all, new to the forum. I recently inherited a sweet sixteen from my grandfather, I have been reading through this thread and can't seem to match my serial to anything specific in the guide. Just curious about the history of this gun so any help is appreciated. The serial on the bottom of the receiver is 1S 66376. The 1S is above the number. It is engraved with the sweet sixteen on the side of receiver. Would post pics but can't figure out how to from my phone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Hello JV, and welcome. On page 1 of the guide, you'll find this:

1958 – 1967 The single digit precedes the S and R. 8S,8R = 1958, 9S, = 1959, 0S = 1960, 7S =1967

So your Sweet Sixteen was made in 1961.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:30 am 
Tournament Grade

Goad wrote:
Glen Jensen former Browning Historian told me a modified A5 with a gold trigger will never be a Sweet Sixteen.

I have also thought of ways to make both the standard and Sweet Sixteen lighter. What keeps me from fantasy to modification is the reality of mutilation.

Goad: I picked up my 16g Superlight this week , it have all lightning futures a Sweet have
plus recivier made of Aluminium but weight is the same as a Steel Recivier Sweet.

It suprised me, maby density in wood differ ( it's the flat knob stock ) -1969
it feel lighter than my Sweet but my scale say 3,3 kilo

/ P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:05 am 
Tournament Grade

Hi ,
As i wrote above i now have a nearly new cond A5 Super Ligth 16g
When i google it i hear they are rare in states becouse they tend to split reciviers?
Was that coused by 1 1/4oz loads + wrong ring settings ?

My plan is use it for doves with 1 oz - 1 1/16 oz loads @ 1300-1330fps max

/P

Ps: i visited the shooting range today to test my new Super Light Alu 16 and how
Different loads effect in it , I use " Heavy Setting " and i have wipe mag tube with
" an oiled rag " first out was 24gram 7,5 homerolled in new hulls 1,33gram C7SV Powder
Who give a snappy feeling and cycles well, following 1oz 1300+ do the same , 1 1/8@ 1300
Was a bit stiffer and maby not the best choise for long recivier Life if its made of Aluminium.
But snappy 7/8 & 1oz + Will be a joy to shoot for doves thats for sure .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

I dont believe the Superlights were marketed in the USA. They seemed to have been an FN project for Europe. The stock and aluminum receiver were vulnerable to cracks. I am not familiar with what loads were available mid60s in Europe. I know the finish is not durable either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

I dont believe the Superlights were marketed in the USA. They seemed to have been an FN project for Europe. The stock and aluminum receiver were vulnerable to cracks. I am not familiar with what loads were available mid60s in Europe. I know the finish is not durable either.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Goad wrote:

Goad,

Today was a BIG supprice for me, i was discussing my supposed superlight 16 with an
Norwegian who Also owned one but his is plain barrel, and for a reason we start talking weight and he tested his frosted recivier with the 4 slots and it was STEEL ??? That make
Me go upstairs to fun cabin for a check of my recivier ( Frosted and 4 slots ) and mine is
Also a steel recivier so it cant be a ultra light ? But what do i have ? A -69 Stelth sweet?
The positive is i dont need fear of crack my recivier :-)

/P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:53 am 
Tournament Grade

culot wrote:
Goad wrote:

Goad: I picked up my 16g Superlight this week , it have all lightning futures a Sweet have
plus recivier made of Aluminium but weight is the same as a Steel Recivier Sweet.

It suprised me, maby density in wood differ ( it's the flat knob stock ) -1969
it feel lighter than my Sweet but my scale say 3,3 kilo

/ P

Update and a bit embarrasing for me :oops: i was so 100 % sure the scrinkle finish
means the recivier is of Aluminium.... With a magnet test it say steel, and that will probably answer my question why it have same weight as my Sweet ...

https://www.jaktsidan.se/ipb/uploads/mo ... 1a94a.jpeg

https://www.jaktsidan.se/ipb/uploads/mo ... 9d0e7.jpeg

This one have All lightning cuts a Sweet have include gold trigger ...
So for me its a mystery what model i have, " Lightning 16 " (?)

/ P

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:36 pm 
Utility Grade

I recently inherited a 16ga Browning. I am trying to determine if it is an A5 sweet 16. It was made in Belgium with 2 3/4 inch chamber. The serial number is 6005. No prefix. This is stamped on the loading door. I did look over the post #1 about serial numbers but I found it hard to believe that this gun is that old. I was really just looking for a manual so that I could Give it a good cleaning and get to know the gun before taking to the range.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:07 pm 
Crown Grade

If it was made with a 2 3/4” chamber it’s got to have a prefix. Look to see if 16-70 or 16-65 is stamped on the barrel.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:22 am 
Presentation Grade

bladzz wrote:
It was made in Belgium with 2 3/4 inch chamber. The serial number is 6005.

Pictures would help with identification. As Rudolph points out, the Belgium 2 3/4 chamber would not be factory for that early of a gun. The 2 3/4 factory chambers started in 1947.

Some European market A5 models were made in the 60s and 70s with 4 digit serial numbers. It could have also been re-chambered after market.

PM sent

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:36 pm 
Utility Grade

bladzz wrote:
I recently inherited a 16ga Browning. I am trying to determine if it is an A5 sweet 16. It was made in Belgium with 2 3/4 inch chamber. The serial number is 6005. No prefix. This is stamped on the loading door. I did look over the post #1 about serial numbers but I found it hard to believe that this gun is that old. I was really just looking for a manual so that I could Give it a good cleaning and get to know the gun before taking to the range.

Sorry my bad. This gun in question was made in St Louis, Mo. What may be a prefix looks like maybe a Q. It was stamped above the the numbers 6005.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

What options do we have to restore the pics other than paying the $400 photo bucket ransom?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:12 am 
Crown Grade

Imgur works about the same as PhotoBucket did — for now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next