It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Saltwood Superposed
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Did some trading at one of the big box stores the other day.
Picked up a number of items including a 20 ga. Superposed with what appears to be some minor salt wood damage. Looking for advice on what to do with it.
It is a 1968 grade 1 Superposed round knob short tang.
I was aware of these being problem years and did my best to inspect it before purchasing. It does not have any extensive damage. It does have a small rim of barely visable rust one side of the receiver to butt stock area.
I removed the butt plate screws and they too had a light rust. If it is a salt affected gun it has not taken much toll after 50 years. What would you guys do ? I'm tempted to return it and not risk the fact that the internals may look worse than the outside. It has an especially nice figured stock on it, and while I currently have a few 12's I do not have a 20 ga. Super. Or I suppose I could see if they are willing to own the fact that it is a saltwood gun and refund me some of my purchase price, accordingly. Some may say that is the risk one takes when purchasing used. Or I can just deal with it .Take it completely apart and clean it and hope for the best . What do you guys think. ?

Post subject: Re: Saltwood Superposed
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:01 pm 
Limited Edition

There are several directions you can go in. it all hinges on what you paid and the intended purpose.. there are stocks and forends out there ( be carefull you're not getting salt wood) . you could send it to Art,or you could clean and oil on a regular basis.It did take 50 yr's to get where it is. That being said I own a '69 Broadway, I bought it dirt cheap as a learning tool. I tore it completely apart, west systems epoxy inside and out on the wood oiled it up and use it for a bad weather gun.2-3 years not an issue. I have even considered Cerakote. it allows me to take a Super out when I would'nt think about one of my others. As a rule of thumb however, a wise man once told me Once salty , always salty" ( he will probably weigh in here at some point )

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Browning may take care of you... see: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=308024

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

1. View the video on Art's website.
2. Remove the stock and fore end and see how bad each is.
3. If it is bad, take it back. If not and you are ok with the price you paid, shoot it and watch for a good deal on a replacement stock. Remove the stock at least once a year and grease/oil the metal.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

I would be happy with the price I paid were it not a salty (very mild yet still salty) superposed. It has much better than average wood on it and is %90 or better overall.
A shame really. I'm afraid I will have to return it and continue my hunt. Unless They decide to make it worth my while, when I go to return it. Safest bet is pre 64
I suppose. The sad part that is sad is that they will likely not disclose it as a salt gun, clean it up some ,park it back in the rack, and sell it the the next unsuspecting person.
Thank you all for your replies .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

Frank, I don't think Browning would warranty it without me being the original owner and having the card . Thank you for the suggestion though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:08 pm 
Limited Edition

trevijazz , If you do decide to return it ,and you are certain it is salt affected, tell them why then there is no excuse for them not to list it as such.
You might want to follow this thread up with the cabelas location so no one here makes the same mistake. FYI , Pre '66 post '72 and you'll be ok. best of luck !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:21 am 
Tournament Grade

Only you can decide.
The gun obviously appealed to you initially. Did you pay too much by a large margin?
Did you buy a gun to shoot, or an "investment" ? Can you get over concealed damage and just enjoy hunting with it ?
With apparently limited damage stabilized, it may be usable for another 50 years. You will only know for sure with the butt stock removed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I do not think there is any way to evaluate the damage without removing the stock and fore end.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

They probably had no clue. Interesting if was from Cabela's library, used guns usually come with a 7 day service warranty.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

Take the gun back and get your money back. That's my advice.

There i$ nothing you can do to are$t the affect$ of $altwood without $pending upward$ of $2k depending on how much metal damage there I$ already. Any 'fix' $hort of refine$hing the affected metal and replacing the $tock, only prolong$ the inevitable.

I speak from first-hand experience. The surface area affected in my case amounted to less than 1/4" x 1/2 the width of the receiver flange where it meets the stock on one side. It was not evident until a slight bulge appeared in the wood finish in that same area. I tried monitoring and periodic cleaning. If I had sent it off when I first detected it, I would have only paid for 'light-blasting' of the hidden surface, touch-up blue, new butt stock, wood finish and checkering re-cut. As is turned-out, when it became evident from the outer edge view with the butt stock 'on', the cost of tig-welding, milling, re-engraving, and total re-blue of the receiver was an additional expenditure. Total was $1700. Yours sounds much more involved than that. If the forearm is also affected.......add costs for new wood, fitting, finish and checkering.....plus whatever metal damage there is.

Last edited by Anatidae on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Saltwood Superposed
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Art Issacson has stated that there is no way to seal salt wood reliably. He also stated that every salt stock that he removes is used for firewood so that it cannot find its way back on to a gun.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:15 am 
Presentation Grade

The 28 gauge in the video is mine.
He "deactivated" the stock by slamming the Salt wood stock head on his workbench.
Gotta love Art !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

You need to take the stock off and examine it.

I have seen a few salt wood damaged guns and the rust was a lot more than "light rust". The light rust may be the result of poor maintenance and the internals may be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There is a chemical test for salt wood. Can’t remember where I saw it. Maybe it was Art’s web site

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Art uses a silver nitrate solution. If where it meets salt it turns a milky white but remains clear if there's none present.

In for the updates and wishing OP the best. Typically a firearm return in full or partial is not going to go over so well at a big box store.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

I decided to open up the receiver and get a closer look at what was going on. I had some trouble unthreading the stock bolt so I gave it a squirt of kroil and let it sit overnight. The following morning I was able to remove the stock bolt that did have some rust in the area where it contacted the wood. The internals of the receiver had a light surface rust speckled throughout. Nothing that I would consider extensive corrosion. I cleaned it up and put it back together. My inspection did not reveal a smoking salt gun (ha) however the vibe I get from it would likely never subside, so I returned the superposed, and without much hassle. I let them know that I suspected it to be a salt effected gun. They gave me the deer in headlights look, but accepted the return. They would only allow me in store credit so I was forced to purchase another firearm (Darn). I did offer to take it on as a project gun and let them know I would offer them
Half of what I paid for it the first time. They showed some interest, and said they would reach out to me if that was possible.
BTW I paid the ubiquitous $1999.00
price for it originally.

Thank you all for your great input.
I hope to find an excellent salt free 20 ga. Super that I can afford some time in the near future.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was a wise decision to return the salt gun, and it would be wiser to never even consider a salt era Browning again. Here's why.

I own a 1963 Browning Standard 12 gauge with 28" barrels that is about as close to mint as a fired shotgun can be. It's just perfect, so nice I hardly use it. I paid $1,200 for it about ten years ago, and I doubt it's really worth that much today, for a quick sale. That gun has every single thing a Superposed is "supposed" to have on it, the screwed ejectors, horn butt plate, round knob, long bottom tang, really nice wood, Y top tang, and it was made two years before Browning started putting salt wood on Superposeds.

And, just a couple of months ago, I bought a 1973 12 gauge Browning BSS with 28" barrels, in just as nice shape as my 1963 12 gauge Standard Superposed, except my BSS has a perfectly done recoil pad that was added sometime after it left Japan, for $900. It was made a year after salt wood was banished from Browning's offerings.

For about the same money, you can have the nicest over and under Browning ever made and the nicest boxlock side by side Browning ever made, in like new condition, and all you'll ever need to do is place shells in the guns.

Yes, a twenty gauge is very cool.

You ought to see my perfect 1947 Ithaca Model 37R 26" IC 20 gauge. I paid $350 dollars for it ten years ago, and in this market, I might still get my money back, if I found somebody just crazy about Ithaca Model 37's.

The nicest, best old shotguns are so cheap today, why beat yourself up over salt wood Brownings?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:32 pm 
Limited Edition

Good move, you paid waaaaay too much to consider keeping a salt gun ! Half of what you paid is too much. Good luck in your search !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

I think it was a good choice to return it also.
I have a LNIB12 ga. Superposed that I bought in Tulsa about 8 years ago for about the same price. It has the warranty card and all that Jazz and is absolutely mint. I have a superlight in 12 ga. That is %98+. A broadway trap that is in nice shooter condition, and a Magnum that is very nice also. Until I move into the higher grades someday, the 20 seems like the proper progression, and it really did have exceptional wood. I haven't seen one that nice (non salt of course) for much less than that, but I haven't looked really hard, I'm open to you guys pointing me in the right direction for a 20.