It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lovely Lumber - Pictures of Brownings with Beautiful Woo
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Anatidae, high quality wood and checkering!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

claysmoker wrote:
I was pretty proud of my Grade V Citoris, but after those gorgeous stocks from Fugotti, I'm almost embarassed. WOW!

But here they are anyway.

claysmoker:

That's some awesome lumber!! Congrats! {hs#

Please post some pics of your Grade V's on the Engraved Superposed & Other Brownings thread: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=286714

Love those Grade V's Citoris. You don't see too many of those these days!

CFB

Support this Forum! Become a Bonus Member . . . Click on the URL, below!
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118027

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:42 am 
Limited Edition

Browning Citori 20 gauges and some birds bagged. Beautiful wood graced by beautiful birds. :D

Irishwhistler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Great photo!!

Love the Superlight! {hs#

Does your Superlight have 28" or 26" barrels?

CFB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:56 am 
Tournament Grade

Here's my grade V Citori and a couple of 410's.

Last edited by cartod on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:49 pm 
Limited Edition

crazyforbrownings wrote:
Great photo!!

Love the Superlight! {hs#

Does your Superlight have 28" or 26" barrels?

CFB

26" bbls. Both guns are 20 ga.

Irishwhistlee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:24 am 
Field Grade

Here's one of two 12ga Gran Citori's I have.
I am considering thinning the herd if anyone's interested.

Last edited by thinkingman on Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:02 am 
Tournament Grade

Two superposed's from the 80's. left is a .270 rifle and right is a 30.06/20ga.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:57 pm 
Limited Edition

Got lucky with this one, a Shot Show BPS Medallion 16g, but with some pretty crazy wood.
And this is my 2014 GrIII, serial #0002 of 250 made.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

muskyjack wrote:
Anatidae, high quality wood and checkering!

Thanks muskyjack. 'High compliment considering some of your examples.

Nice wood on those guns, guys.....Irishwhistler, Cartod, Claybuster, Buckmark, thinkingman, et al. It's interesting to see the different grains through the years and on different models. There's nothing that adds character to a gun more than great wood and finish details.

NoDak Scotty wrote:
This gun also has amazing fiddle back on all the wood. I think it is the prettiest piece of wood I've ever seen, but I'm a sucker for fiddleback.

Scotty, I've been hoping for an opportunity at a gun with a nice fiddleback pattern since you posted that photo a while back......awesome example!

I'm a sucker for fiddleback, too. This is the best I could come-up with.....so far.....

I doubt I'll ever find another pair of guns with better wood than these two.......

........but I'll certainly keep looking.........that's the 'thrill of the hunt'.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, nothing compared to the fantastic wood above - but, I have a 30 year old Browning BPS 20 gauge on the way to my place that looks pretty good:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wow! Congrats!! {hs#

Hey, Buffington . . . pass the drool cup, will you?!! :D

CFB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:45 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks CFB.

'Road Rat' that BPS stock has some really nice burl near the butt. Congrats! That adds a nice bit of character to the gun.

Here's the wood on the FN B2 Superposed Trap grade completed in November 1962.

The wood on some FN guns just gives them a totally different character (and in some cases, 'feel') than the Brownings.

One interesting feature on this one is the parallel raised comb. Stock dimensions are 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 14-3/8”. Most trap dimensions from this period were a tapered comb of 1-1/2” x 1-3/4”. I'm not sure if this was a special order, or whether the raised comb was an 'FN' option - I don't remember seeing any Brownings with raised combs although I have seen another early B2 ('63) with a raised comb, but has been added – possibly done in Europe.

Fairly 'plain' grain (not 'lovely') wood consistent with their 2nd-lowest 'high-grade' gun(lowest being B1, I think).....and probably comparable to our Pigeon Grade. The pad that came on this gun is not original (and dreadfully unappealing) however the LOP to the end of the wood in 13-3/8". So I put a Browning pad on it to take it to the gun club and try it out. I'll grind it to fit.

This gun (30" .018 and .041 or 5/8 and Full) weighs 7lbs-15oz.

Standard profile for 'trap' forearm (for that period).......

….....a 'tad' more lovely than the butt stock.

Interesting serial number stamp in the barrel channel with 'FN' added.

….....and the 'tell-all' stamp on these guns.........confirming authenticity of original wood.......

I have been relegated to shooting clays with a .410 since about April due to a bone spur and torn rotator cuff. But I shot this gun yesterday and sooted 19 from stations 1, 2, 4, & 5 (trap) using the bottom barrel mic'ed @ .018 (or LM), and switched to the top barrel on station 3 because I knew it was .041 (borderline F - XF). The wind pushed 2 targets down and I ran over the top of'em......but the other 3?.........OH MY! :shock: .....she's 'TIGHT-tight'.......the kind of 'tight' that makes your squad-mates laugh when the target is centered cleanly.......... :lol:

I love these old guns........

Engraving for this gun (if interested)......... http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=286714&start=320

Last edited by Anatidae on Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

Holy snikes! Anatidae pulls yet another stunning example out! Stupid question but how hard is it to get a gun over here from across the pond?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

The hardest part is waiting.

The process was more nerve-wracking than 'hard'.......the first time out.

If there's a hiccup in the process (either a wide fluctuation in exchange rates and 'timing' of fund transfers), you have to forget about that and be prepared to absorb whatever happens before deciding to 'jump-in'.

FYI - export & import fees, 3% duty, taxes, part bond, shipping, insurance, etc. were roughly 24% of the total investment in this one. I'm pleased with the gun and even factoring-in a pad installation - I faired about as anticipated.

When you find a gun you want, just e-mail me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

1953 Browning Gr III

This is one of those guns (at least for me) that wakes me up at all hours of the night thinking about it - wondering if I was just dreaming. The wood is part of the reason.........a duck-hunting wife is another.

And one of the prettiest wood treatments I've seen on a gun in a long time.......

In a previous post, I said.....
Quote:
The wood on some FN guns just gives them a totally different character (and in some cases, 'feel') than the Brownings.

Everything about THIS Browning has a very unique and favorable 'character'..........and it checks-out as 'all-original' wood.........

….......ALL of it!.........

I'm still pinching myself.

Here's a link to the engraving (if interested): http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=286714&start=320

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:40 pm 
Utility Grade

lots of nice guns in this thread

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

So, I just took shipment on my new (to me) Cynergy Sporting Classic. Thanks to jwgworld for quick shipping, and just being an all-around great guy!

Anyway - this is my first Cynergy that the wood is worth taking photos of (My other is a satin field) - Here's my attempt at capturing it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:37 am 
Presentation Grade

That IS some exceptional wood, 'bigeejakes' - Congratulations.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:47 am 
Presentation Grade

Anatidae wrote:
Thanks CFB.

'Road Rat' that BPS stock has some really nice burl near the butt. Congrats! That adds a nice bit of character to the gun.

Here's the wood on the FN B2 Superposed Trap grade completed in November 1962.

One interesting feature on this one is the parallel raised comb. Stock dimensions are 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 14-3/8”. Most trap dimensions from this period were a tapered comb of 1-1/2” x 1-3/4”. I'm not sure if this was a special order, or whether the raised comb was an 'FN' option - I don't remember seeing any Brownings with raised combs although I have seen another early B2 ('63) with a raised comb, but has been added – possibly done in Europe.

Fairly 'plain' grain (not 'lovely') wood consistent with their 2nd-lowest 'high-grade' gun(lowest being B1, I think).....and probably comparable to our Pigeon Grade. The pad that came on this gun is not original (and dreadfully unappealing) however the LOP to the end of the wood in 13-3/8". So I put a Browning pad on it to take it to the gun club and try it out. I'll grind it to fit.

This gun (30" .018 and .041 or 5/8 and Full) weighs 7lbs-15oz.

Standard profile for 'trap' forearm (for that period).......

….....a 'tad' more lovely than the butt stock.

Interesting serial number stamp in the barrel channel with 'FN' added.

….....and the 'tell-all' stamp on these guns.........confirming authenticity of original wood.......

I have been relegated to shooting clays with a .410 since about April due to a bone spur and torn rotator cuff. But I shot this gun yesterday and sooted 19 from stations 1, 2, 4, & 5 (trap) using the bottom barrel mic'ed @ .018 (or LM), and switched to the top barrel on station 3 because I knew it was .041 (borderline F - XF). The wind pushed 2 targets down and I ran over the top of'em......but the other 3?.........OH MY! :shock: .....she's 'TIGHT-tight'.......the kind of 'tight' that makes your squad-mates laugh when the target is centered cleanly.......... :lol:

I love these old guns........

Engraving for this gun (if interested)......... http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=286714&start=320

Wow is that beautiful wood! I really like the darker stuff. Thats the kinda wood you only get to see in pictures for me. Its over the top as they say! I found out the other day that even on my grade 1s a good bath with murphys oil soap and some wax and elbow grease theres some pretty wood underneath the years of grime I didn't realize was there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next