Shotgun Forum banner

Need gun selection help

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  RandyWakeman 
#1 ·
I have a couple of superposed and my go to is a late 50's trap pigeon that i am really comfortable with and shoot really well. 30" gun, semi-beaver forearm, and choked Full over IM.

and there in-lies the "problem". i would like to find a gun that is as close to the same feel as the superposed trap pigeon but in a more modern gun that already has a factory screw-in choke system so i can not have to be stuck with the ultra tight Browning chokes and using spreader shells on closer targets. i use this gun for sporting clays, 5 stand, skeet etc.

so, what gun would be the closest feel and dimensions in a more modern shotgun with a screw-in choke system? would it be the winchester 101? or the citori?

#2 ·
Can't help you with your question, but I am curious why you are opposed to spreaders? I shoot them in my parkers that are choked full and have great success with them. Personally I have never been one that actually fiddles with changing chokes on the guns I have had that have them. They mostly just sit with the same choke in there all the time.

Not a criticism, I was mostly just curious.

#4 ·
Kingcobb said:
Can't help you with your question, but I am curious why you are opposed to spreaders? I shoot them in my parkers that are choked full and have great success with them. Personally I have never been one that actually fiddles with changing chokes on the guns I have had that have them. They mostly just sit with the same choke in there all the time.

Not a criticism, I was mostly just curious.
well, i do use spreaders, but i like to use my go-to Winchester AA load and the spreaders feel different when i shoot them. but i guess the point is well taken, i do know guys who will change out chokes depending on the course and whats being played. and i would do that. not really station-to-station, but on a general basis. ill keep looking for something and meanwhile ill have a couple of boxes of fiocchi spreaders with me too.

i do have a winchester 101 as well, from the 70s. gun is well used and has been cut down on the stock to have an adjustable comb, and a S2 air recoil system in it. i COULD put Briley thinwall chokes in it, but i think those barrel ends are thin as it is. may be my best option up to this point

#5 ·
I can't answer the question about which (101 or Citori) would come closer to the feel of the 50's Gr II 30" Trap.

But I have several 50's 30" Trap models and they all feel different. Some came from the UK - Brits are inveterate 'tinkerers' of the gun.....especially chokes. So, some of mine already had chokes opened-up and I use them for a variety of presentations. The combination I am most comfortable with is LM/LM. I have 2 that are both IM/M that enjoy shooting......I just don't score as well because my skill level isn't there, yet. So my downfall is 'mental' - I am a moderate-scoring proponent of "live by tight chokes - die by tight chokes" while I'm learning the correct leads. I am NOT a proponent of "spray and pray" (wide chokes - large payload with lots of pellets) because I'd rather learn the proper leads, develop sound gun technique, and put as much shot on the target as possible.....especially 'edgey' targets. Score (at this point) doesn't mean as much as how consistently I read and break the targets.

Sometimes, I'll practice with a little more open choke combination that gives me enough feedback to indicate what adjustment is needed on that presentation.....i.e., the target breaks, but is not exactly 'centered'.

So, while I don't advocate modifying original chokes on a 'collector', I wouldn't hesitate to alter them slightly on a 'shooter'. I think that's a better solution to choke tubes on these B25's where the points of impact would also be altered in that process.

Since I don't have anything with choke tubes, If I shot a sporting clays course, I'd need a golf cart with racks for 4-5 different guns. That would be a choice from IM/M, M/IC, M/Cyl, LM/LM, IC/SK, SK/SK, and SK/Cyl (I think that covers it)......enough to confound even the most experienced shooter. So I just pick one of those combinations for a particular course, with 'enough' choke for everything and try to put the shot on target. If you think changing chokes between stations is annoying, try changing guns. Choke tubes are over-rated unless you only have one gun and try to shoot different games.

#6 ·
Anatidae said:
So, while I don't advocate modifying original chokes on a 'collector', I wouldn't hesitate to alter them slightly on a 'shooter'. I think that's a better solution to choke tubes on these B25's where the points of impact would also be altered in that process
You have just as much of a chance of having a POI shift when having fixed chokes opened as you do when the barrels are bored and threaded at the muzzles to accept choke tubes.

All you have to do is get the reamer (used to open the fixed choke) at a slight angle to bore centerline and your POI is gone somewhere else.

Good machining is good machining. Crappy machining is crappy machining.

#7 ·
No argument here.

My point was - Briley (and maybe others) intentionally skew the choke line relative to bore line on these older B25's to make sure there is enough metal to thread where the upper and lower barrels are joined (those surfaces are actually 'flat'). How much those lines are 'off' may be minimal, but they will tell you that's what is necessary to accomplish a safe installation on these guns.

#8 ·
charger442 said:
I have a couple of superposed and my go to is a late 50's trap pigeon that i am really comfortable with and shoot really well. 30" gun, semi-beaver forearm, and choked Full over IM.

and there in-lies the "problem". i would like to find a gun that is as close to the same feel as the superposed trap pigeon but in a more modern gun that already has a factory screw-in choke system so i can not have to be stuck with the ultra tight Browning chokes and using spreader shells on closer targets. i use this gun for sporting clays, 5 stand, skeet etc.
There is only one "solution"-- start shooting different models and decide for yourself. The "feel" for you is not the exact "feel" anyone else has.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.