It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Found me a Pointer Grade Superposed
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Kingcobb:

I had a special order Pointer by Vrancken once upon a time. When I tried to get a Letter of Authenticity (LOA) from Glen Jensen at Browning, he told me that the serial number was a "special order" and therefore it wasn't on the books at Browning, and he could not write me an LOA for it. I can't remember the reason why a special order wouldn't be on the books. Perhaps someone in the know can enlighten us . . . But, hopefully, you will be able to get an LOA for your special order Pointer.

Keep us posted.

Warm regards,

CFB

Support this Forum! Become a Bonus Member . . . Click on the URL, below!
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118027

Post subject: Re: Found me a Pointer Grade Superposed
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I read that engraved signature as Richard J. Lewin

I've ran it through Find a Grave with no results, but there are several people with that name alive today in the United States.

Lewin (or his family or employer) would have had enough money, and good taste, to order a custom 28" Broadway Superposed from Browning, and the Pointer was likely the lowest grade where the purchaser could get a custom signature engraved. My theory is that's the signature of Richard J. Lewin himself, and he was quite proud of it, and wanted it engraved on his custom Browning. He could have had block letters, but wanted a signature. It would have cost no more, to use the signature of the customer, than to trust the Belgian engravers to use a stylized signature of somebody else.

That pad looks exactly like a 1964 factory issue Browning "White Line" brown pad made by Pachmayr came. That's not a spacer on the back, but the backing to the fancy "white line" that was so popular at that time.

I would be tempted to guess this gun was a Christmas 1964 gift, but that wouldn't fit, unless the delivery date was December 1964. That gun took some time to make, because it was a special order 28" Broadway Trap, with custom gold signature. Somebody was very proud of the name Richard J. Lewin, and simple initials, although much cheaper, would not satisfy their quest for a custom gun.

And, it would be an incredibly savvy wife or employer that would know to order the gun with a 28" set of barrels. That means Richard J. Lewin, a man of some but not extravagant means, some degree of vanity, and excellent taste, decided he'd order himself a custom Pointer grade Broadway Trap with a recoil pad, his entire name with middle initial engraved in gold on the side using his signature, and 28" barrels. There would have been a phone conversation and letters to Browning, for all that to happen. Records could still exist of the order, which had to be conveyed to F.N. for completion. The final price would have had to have been quoted and accepted by Richard J. Lewin.

And if he was devoted trap shooter, he'd have shot the new off his new trap gun. That gun was bought, because Richard J. Lewin wanted the brand new fancy Broadway rib. He bought his gun, shot it a few times carefully at the range, maybe a couple of outings hunting, and age made him put his custom Pointer Grade Browning away.

Lots of luck searching.

Those old guns, don't talk, but they do whisper clues of how they came into being.:)