It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New(to me) A-5, Barrel to Long??
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

He guys, I been thinking about an A-5, as a shooter. I ended up with one in great condition, locally, at a price in the lower $400 range, FTF sale. It dates to 1982, Japan of course.

It's a 'Magnum Twelve' with a 32" fixed choke barrel, which is 6-8" to long for my liking, 3" chamber of course. The gun is very clean, no signs of the basement gunsmith opening it up, great bluing.

My main question, is there an easy was to get to a shorter barrel? That may be, professionally shortened, or buy another? I don't even mind a fixed choke, just want it shorter.

Then next issue, can these guns digest any shell without changing any of the 'rings' inside the forend? I'm not sure if these newer guns even have that system?

I may have more questions, thanks.

Post subject: Re: New(to me) A-5, Barrel to Long??
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:21 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

sourdough44 wrote:
My main question, is there an easy was to get to a shorter barrel?
Then next issue, can these guns digest any shell without changing any of the 'rings' inside the forend?

You can buy shorter barrels.

"can these guns digest any shell..." No, not remotely close. The manual is free at Browning.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

OK, I will download the manual from Browning. I see the 'friction ring' when I took it partially apart. It seems to be setup for mid-power 2 3/4" shells, according to the instructions under the forearm.

I'll compare costs between a new barrel and having it shortened. How about the range of years for a barrel fit? Will most 3" 'Magnum 12' A-5 barrels made in Japan fit?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:15 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
When I was right out of high school ('72) I worked on a construction crew for a guy who was an antique car collector. One day he showed me his restored Model A pickup truck and I said, "Man that would make a cool street rod if you dropped a hemi in it!" He did not share my enthusiasm. I was lucky he didn't fire me.

That's kind of how I feel about chopping up a 12 ga Mag A-5 and trying to make it into something it will never be. If you are wanting a shorter barrel (I like 26" barrels myself) gun you can feed anything, that A-5 will never be a good choice. Even though it's not a Belgian gun, I'm sure that classic waterfowl configuration is desirable for many.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There are barrels available, with chokes, Gunbroker or eBay is a great place to start

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:43 am 
Tournament Grade

I have been reading up some, don't think it will be suitable for light loads, that's fine. There will always be a little weight with it, O.K. too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:21 am 

You can also try Corsonsbarrels or Barrel Exchange for barrels. My late 80's/early 90"s Mag 12 cycles one ounce loads like the Remington Game Loads (1,290 fps) all day long in the light setting. I keep the magazine tube lightly lubed with a good oil (CLP, FP10, or Militec). My buddy also bought a Mag 12 at the same time as I did and his cycled the same.

Long Recoil models are not the best for light load cycling. This operation also tends to be the least consistent from specific gun to gun for cycling ability when it's the same model.

You don't say how light of load you intend to use or your intended uses. I do like shooting Long Recoil operated models for trap. I set the rings in the heavy setting and use lighter loads. This keeps the empty from ejecting without the use of a shell catcher.

With any Long Recoil operated model. Always start the gun out in the heavy setting when using a new load. If the gun cycles, leave it alone. If not try it in the light setting and see how it cycles.

Nothing wrong with the Long Recoil design. Its just not the most versatile auto loading action type, nor are they the easiest to break down (A-5). When set up correctly no other auto loader operation has improved on reliability. There are 100 + year old shooters out there so durability is tops as is the A-5's quality.

My A5 Mag 12 sports a 28" Invector barrel which is just right for me on this gun.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:25 am 
Presentation Grade

here
http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/browningbarrels.htm

and here
http://www.barrelexchange.com/srch_1.cf ... mit=Search

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:01 am 
Tournament Grade

Just remember an Auto5 barrel alone can cost you as much or more than a complete gun.

There is a barrel on ebay 26" with screw in chokes 3" chamber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yes, I have been watching ebay and elsewhere. Barrels seem to be $350 on up. Right now I'm learning towards those ebay gunsmiths that cut & thread a barrel for choke tubes, $80 is so. They get great reviews, the two in NC and TN seem like top contenders.

Still doing research, I've little need for a 32" full choked barrel. At least the barrel I have now fits the receiver. I read where the 2012 & later barrels don't fit older guns. I've seen at least one product number advertised that is unlikely to fit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:24 pm 
Field Grade

Why not utilize one of the good folks on here that provide that service ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

sourdough44 wrote:
Yes, I have been watching ebay and elsewhere. Barrels seem to be $350 on up. Right now I'm learning towards those ebay gunsmiths that cut & thread a barrel for choke tubes, $80 is so. They get great reviews, the two in NC and TN seem like top contenders.

Still doing research, I've little need for a 32" full choked barrel. At least the barrel I have now fits the receiver. I read where the 2012 & later barrels don't fit older guns. I've seen at least one product number advertised that is unlikely to fit.

Avoid eBay gunsmiths, you have available through this very forum one of the best barrelsmiths available in Mike Orlen, he'll treat you right and the work will be superb.

I have used Steve Rose at Rose Action Sports and his work is also excellent.

You can Google either one for contact information.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks, I will look into both.