It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dating an old A5
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:38 am 
Field Grade

I just bought an old A5 from a gunshop in Western KY while I was visiting my daughter for Thanksgiving. She attends Murray University and I always stop in to the local gunshop while down there. It is a 30" full choke 2 3/4" gun, so I imagine it has seen alot of waterfowl hunting in that part of state. I was going to leave well enough alone, but couldn't get all the screws out for a proper cleaning, so I'm going to have it reblued and finish the wood myself. It has that tough as he** browning finish and wondering about any advise for removing it. I had planned on Minwax wipeon poly finish as I have had great luck with using it in the past. Not probably as tough as the original finish, but this gun will never see the abuse it has in the past. Like to clean it up and kill a Tom this spring before putting it up. Just love the old brownings and I have others more suited to bird hunting. Also I am not sure about the serial number. It has a 1M stamped with 349xx stamped underneath it. If anyone could help me date it, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any help, Chuck.

Post subject: Re: Dating an old A5
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:58 am 
Crown Grade

Go to the Browning website. It has a section for dating their guns.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:07 pm 
Crown Grade

1M is the code for a standard A-5 made in 1961.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:22 pm 
Crown Grade

What's that old saying? "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. But teach him how to fish, and he will learn how to...drink beer and use up all his sick leave."

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:41 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you albanygun, that is the year I was born.Only gun I own born same year as me. Thanks, Chuck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:03 am 
Tournament Grade

There are some good Utube videos on at least partway disassembling the gun. I may stop a bit short of taking all the receiver screws out.

I was at Cabelas yesterday, they did have a good number of older A-5s on the used rack. I think TLC from a new owner is what they need the most.