Shotgun Forum banner

Find your Browning manufacture date

248K views 369 replies 175 participants last post by  Blackriverdan 
#1 ·
#2 ·
:) Thanks so much ! I posted last night on the Clay Forum asking about finding the make and model of my Belgian O/U I purchased from a gun store in Texas. I originally thought I had a Liege because the serial # started with L13 when I was on the Browning site last night. I guess I overlooked the find the date/make page. So after seeing your post this evening, I went to the website and discovered that I purchased an Citori Upland Special 12 Ga. "81" yr. model. I had been shopping for at least a year and stubbled on this gun. It is in very good shape (95%) and the price was right.
I shoot at my club a little and hunt a lot if ya know what I mean.
Thanks again !!

#4 ·
I went to the site, and "Boy" am I confused now. I have two light twelves and one sweet sixteen. The serial numbers are as follows; Is it me? The sequencing of the numbers don't match.
What do you think?
Thanks, Joe

Sweet sixteen------------ St. Louis & Montreal
68S over 783XX

Light Twelve------------- St. Louis Mo.
L over 489XX

Light Twelve------------- St. Louis & Montreal
1G over 307XX

#5 ·
Sorry, I can't figure this out....
I have a 12 ga. gold 3 1/2

my serial # is 113MM41XXX

Can someone please tell me when this was manufactured???

Thanks

#8 ·
I have a Browning Auto 5 16 ga, but I'm confused about the value.

The serial number is 35,xxx. The barrel has the "BROWNING AUTOMATIC ARMS CO. OGDEN UTAH-U.S.A" mark on it.

The serial number, according to browning, means that it was made sometime between 1901 and 1939. According to Browning, the barrel stamp indicates that it was among the first 10,000 shipped to the US.

If the first serial number in 1939 was 237,001 is it safe to assume that the gun was most likely made around 1910 or so?

I see lots of descriptions for this gun, and the owners are giving specific years for which their gun was made prior to 1939 (i.e. 1931, 1933, etc.)

The condition is good with much of the original bluing still present, though worn.

I've seen listings for Belgium made Auto-5's (16 ga) for $400 and some for 1200-4000 and I can't see how they're different.

What else do I need to know?

#336 ·
A serial number 35xxx A-5 16 gauge was made in the last half of 1924. Values of these guns vary all over the place based on condition, embellishment, rib style, and what the buyer and seller is willing to pay/sell and to some extent, whether the gun is popular in that part of the country.

#9 ·
I have a Browning 16ga serial number A7378 that is in excellent shape. I have trying to find out the approximate year it was manufactured and the value of the shotgun. I have had the gun for twenty years and do not plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. It has been in my family for three generations. If you can please tell what you can.

#12 ·
Hi Ya'll,

Tracked my old ex (sold it to my bro in-law) Citori was older then I had remembered. Was thinking late 90's but turned out to be a '93. Odd thing is it a 143 which is not listed as a model. The serial number reads XXXXXNX143. Anyone have idea of what model it is?

Thanks,
Bryan

#14 ·
Please help me figure out the code on my Citori 20 gauge. All I can find is the number 24669 under the release lever, when I took the barrel off, the same numbers are on the inside of all the levers and the barrel, I would like to find out more on the year and grade of this gun. It has a 26" barrel if it makes any difference. This gun also has a screwon the front wood that I have not seen on any others and the screws are engraved as well.

Thanks for any help