It is currently Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Auto 5 friction ring/s settings & additional info
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:22 am 
Crown Grade

I cut my friction ring in half. Now I have two of them, and either works with 7/8 ounce loads. End of story.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:59 pm 
Field Grade

I'll add this here, a double post more or less from the other thread.

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=438029

sawfish, the OP there gave me the idea.

I have a 30-inch bbl Lt-12 that is "stiff". It needs a light setting for buckshot loads and on the light setting has issues with 7/8 and 1 oz loads. I have spare friction rings from my Mag-12 so I just replaced the Lt-12 BRONZE friction piece on the muzzle end of the recoil spring against the barrel ring and then placed the steel ring against the receiver, and tried it.

Bingo! Works great!!

Basically, it is kind of like what lowgun is doing, since the Mag-12 bronze friction piece is more or less half the width of the Lt-12 friction piece so it provides some braking, but "not that much" braking.

I'd much prefer doing this than running the gun on spring pressure-only, as with only the spring there is no braking effect when the barrel returns to the front of the tube/collides with the forearm, not to mention the lack of any braking effect when the action is opening up. The latter might be no big deal as it might be just fine if that's what it takes to function a certain load. Anyhow, maybe this would work for guys that want to shoot the really light loads.

And this all begs another question.

If a guy is shooting really heavy-kicking loads in a Mag-12, he might be able to add a Lt-12 bronze ring setup on top of one Mag-12 friction ring to add additional braking effect. Maybe, not sure, but it might be helpful for guys with a "loose" Mag-12, especially older guns with chopped or vent-ribless bbls.

Post subject: Re: Failure to eject in extreme cold
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:53 pm 
Limited Edition

beach004 wrote:
Rather than start a new thread, I will piggy-back here; I think my question is close enough to the main topic for that.
" Every year we have trouble getting shells to eject. I've tried setting the friction ring for light loads, tried a variety of lubricants; I can't get it to reliably work.
My question is, what can I do? Particularly (and this will likely start an argument): what lubricant (if any) is best to use on the friction tube, under these extreme conditions? "
Beach004

In the low temperatures you are talking about you use NO lubricant on the magazine tube. Wipe it dry.

Post subject: Re: Failure to eject in extreme cold
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:43 pm 
Field Grade

NWNCMike wrote:
beach004 wrote:
Rather than start a new thread, I will piggy-back here; I think my question is close enough to the main topic for that.
" Every year we have trouble getting shells to eject. I've tried setting the friction ring for light loads, tried a variety of lubricants; I can't get it to reliably work.
My question is, what can I do? Particularly (and this will likely start an argument): what lubricant (if any) is best to use on the friction tube, under these extreme conditions? "
Beach004

In the low temperatures you are talking about you use NO lubricant on the magazine tube. Wipe it dry.

Not necessarily.

A bone dry tube at deep cold temps may provide to much friction for those loads that normally run efficiently.

A bit of modern cold-insensitive lube such as G96 may keep reliability at 100%.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:19 pm 
Field Grade

On my Sweet 16, the bronze friction ring is a little tight. As in, it is kind of sticky when sliding on the magazine tube like it is fitted tight. And this is after a drop of oil is on the tube. The one on my 1971 20 ga. A5 is not like that and slides easily. Is either one of these things a problem?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:05 pm 
Field Grade

budrock56 wrote:
On my Sweet 16, the bronze friction ring is a little tight. As in, it is kind of sticky when sliding on the magazine tube like it is fitted tight. And this is after a drop of oil is on the tube. The one on my 1971 20 ga. A5 is not like that and slides easily. Is either one of these things a problem?

If the gun is reliable, it doesn't matter. You didn't mention that it was choking, so my only response is that you shouldn't worry about it. Truth is, you can squeeze/bend a bronze ring and make it "feel" tighter as it sits on the tube, but under the running of the gun not notice it.

If the gun isn't functioning right, maybe bend it out a bit, but I don't think it'll make that much difference.

The bevels are designed to mate in such as way that the faster/harder the barrel moves backward, the harder the bronze right is "clamped" to the barrel.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:40 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks. Bought the 20 recently but have not shot it yet. The 16 shot fine last year. I was just wondering if it mattered whether the bronze ring was tight or loose on a magazine tube as it relates to function.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:50 pm 
Field Grade

FINFN wrote:
How old is this gun? -58?

Hi FinFN,
You are from Finland right ? Im from Sweden so we live next Doors
Your 16/65 is probably quite old , dot you have cross bolt safety or
Is safety placed in front of fingerguard ? You kan shoot 16/67 ammo but NOT
W/O friction rings , you need the friction ring bronze and spring + friction ring.

Gamebore make 16/67 lead ammo.

/P

Post subject: Re: re: Auto 5 friction ring/s settings
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:56 pm 
Utility Grade

bgoldhunter wrote:
http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=105

Seems it got lost when Browning changed the website

New link:
http://www.browning.com/support/frequently-asked-questions/how-do-i-change-the-rings-on-my-auto-5.html

Post subject: Auto 5 friction rin
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:55 am 
Utility Grade

What would you consider a fair price for a Japanese made browning.
I know it all depends on the shape of the gun, but I have never really seen one in bad shape.
Are most all of the brownings engraved?
I have seen grades on these guns, can anyone explain that?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I sold one a couple of years ago for $395, and it was in good shape. It was a Japanese light Twelve with a 30" full fixed choke vent rib barrel. I had it priced for $499 in a local gun shop as a consignment sale for over a year with no takers. Then I took it to a gun show and unloaded it for $395 and was glad to get it.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith