It is currently Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Auto 5 friction ring/s settings & additional info
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:16 am 
Presentation Grade

I have some Militec in the shop, and don't mind buying one of the others to try, based on the first reference you sent. Sounds like a plan. I don't fancy heating up the magazine tube to make one of these "bond" to the metal, but if I can spray and wipe...
One thing about this gun I haven't mentioned: It has a Polychoke, and one of those slotted recoil compensators on the barrel. In addition to permanently damaging my hearing before I was smart enough to use hearing protection (who did, in the 60's?), it probably does reduce the recoil available to operate the mechanism.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:14 pm 
Field Grade

I have a 1971 Browning A5 12 ga. . I have not shot it in years. I have a case of 1& 1/8 oz #8's lead, with 1200 velocity. Would the light load ring setting be ok in this gun for that or should I use the heavy setting?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

I shot several thousand such shells through that same gun, all on the light load setting, no problem. If you want to experiment you can try the heavy setting, but I predict that some of your shells, especially on a cold morning, will fail to eject.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:30 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks Beach. I'm going to shoot some doves on opening day here Monday so I will leave it as is on the light setting. Temps here on that day will be in the mid to upper 80's. I assume velocities over 1200 would possibly need the heavy setting?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm so old, I never paid much attention to the velocities. I shot up to 3.75 drams equivalent on the low setting. But as I say, try the higher power setting; the worst that will happen is that some will fail to cleanly eject. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:21 am 
Utility Grade

There seems to be a big interest in shooting lighter loads with these guns. Has anyone tried using non Magnum springs in a magnum. I just purchased a magnum and the recoil setting inside appears to be out of a standard 12 gauge. I am going to swap it for a correct setup, but was curious if others have ran the magnum 12 in this manner.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:36 am 
Crown Grade

The regulars don't come to the sticky threads often, you will get better response if you posted this as a separate thread. I'd like to answer, but I'm not a A-5 Magnum guy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I know that this is an old thread, but I might have something to offer for those wanting to shoot very light skeet loads in their Auto 5 gun. The Remington Model 11 is an Auto 5 knockoff very similar in many ways. In fact the recoil spring from an Auto 5 will work just fine in the Model 11. The friction rings between the two are slightly different, the Remington not having a bevel on one side. That aside, if you refer to very old literature from Remington on friction ring arrangement for light and heavy loads, you will see that it is similar to the Bronwing. However, Reming went one step further with a third arrangement by advising to remove the friction ring entirely if the gun was fitted with a Cutts Compensator. So, there is some precidence for firing these guns a third way. I would not hesitate to try it with very light 3/4 or 7/8 oz skeet loads: the kind that will barely cycle or not at all in my gas semi autos. As a matter of fact, I think that I will try it: 15grains of Extra Lite, CB 3/4 oz bright pink wad, 3/4 oz shot, Gun Club Hull, Win primer.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

If I ever wind up in South Dakota at minus 9 degrees again with my Auto 5, I might just try this; nothing else allowed it to eject reliably, with high brass pheasant loads. My A5 has the old Polychoke with a compensator built in, so I start with a strike against me, I think. Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, I didn't get it quite right. Reviewing the literature tonight, with a Cutts on the gun, the brass friction ring is placed on the magazine tube next to the receiver, then the recoil spring and lastly, the small, steel friction ring goes on top of the recoil spring with the bevel facing forward. It's really about the same as not installing the brass friction ring. Anyway, that's straight from the Model 11 pre war service manual for what it's worth.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

John Browning himself said that the Auto 5 was his most challenging project, and he designed and built a slew of complicated guns! So we are not the only people who have been messing with trying to make the Auto 5 work with heavy and light loads.

I tried to make my Mag Auto 5 12 gauge work with standard loads and took out some of the rings. I was following instructions in the manual. I, of course, lost them. I don't touch the gun anymore.

If one wants to shoot ultra light loads in an Auto 5 I suggest they get a 20 gauge...or maybe a Sweet 16.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:31 am 
Utility Grade

Hei,

My gun fn auto 16/65 number 15802 can i shooting 16/70 ammo?
And i dont havent friction ring my gun do i need that with shooting?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The gun must have the correct friction ring array. You should not use ammunition that is longer than the specific chamber in your gun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:35 am 
Utility Grade

One gun engineeri say you can shoot 70 ammo toi. Because its so small differences 65mm. How long you dudes have 16\70 chambers? My 16\65 it's about 67mm.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The earlier guns were 2 9/16 inch chambers, later changed to 2 3/4 inch. Sorry, we don't commonly use the metric system here in those types of applications. Most knowledgeable sources will tell you that you should not use shells that are longer than the gun's chamber, but some shooters do, ignoring that advise. You may also choose to ignore that advise and proceed at your own risk.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

I don't know if it's dangerous or not but I DO KNOW that 70mm shells will jam in a 65 mm gun. I have 4 short chambered Auto-5's and cut down shells for them. Even 1mm too long causes problems.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As I said, proceed at your own risk. The gun was designed for 65, NOT 70.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:27 pm 
Utility Grade

My friend have same gun butt 70 chambers and he have couples problems with 70 ammo. My point is same gun butt different barrel , almost same sizes and its dangers to shoot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:11 pm 
Utility Grade

How old is this gun? -58?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:11 pm 
Utility Grade

How old is this gun? -58?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next