It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: comp XS special vs sporting vs skeet
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:39 pm 
Utility Grade

What is the _significant_ difference between these?

I see that the come with different chokes and forearms and that the special is 12 ga only. Some have adjustable combs and some do not.

Is there anything else - from the confusing catalog text it looks as if the ribs might be different. Is this true? How important is this? I am looking for a comp gun for 50% skeet 50% clays/5 stand.

Post subject: re: comp XS special vs sporting vs skeet
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
Is there anything else - from the confusing catalog text it looks as if the ribs might be different. Is this true? How important is this? I am looking for a comp gun for 50% skeet 50% clays/5 stand.

Yes, the ribs are different. Either is fine, it is just what you happen to like.

The Special has a low rib, adjustable comb, beavertail forend and comes with 5 extended chokes from IM to Cyl.

The Sporting has a low rib, schnable forend, and comes with Mod, IC, & Skeet flush chokes. Drop at comb ~1 1/2, at heel ~ 2 1/4

The Skeet has a high rib, beavertail forend, and comes with Skeet, Skeet, & IC flush chokes. This one has a parallel comb. 1 3/4 at both comb and heel. Also available with adjustable comb.

They are all the same gun, just dressed a little differently for different tastes. My preference is the low rib on the sporting, but one of the guys I shoot with loves the parallel comb and high rib on the skeet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:30 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks. After looking at all 3 for 30 minutes I ended up with a 525 sporting. This seems to have a low comb. I like the hand removable chokes for sporting clays. The stock fits me almost perfectly.

I had planned to get a grade I but the higher grade gun had such nice engraving and the wood glowed and.......

Interesting quality issue with the gun - the trigger was not resetting for the second shot. The guys at the shop took the stock off and found a bit of bedding compound. This was clearly a qa check issue. If they had tested both triggers before the gun left the factory then they would not have had a problem. If I had bought the gun from a dealer without a range I would have been really angry.

wttw - check the trigger reset before you walk out of the store.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:23 pm 
Crown Grade

That's why they make different models. I think the 525 looks good, but the palm swell is a bit much for my taste (read, not used to it).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:28 pm 
Utility Grade

I gather that palm swells are a matter of debate. One of my instructors tried the gun and said "how do you like the palm swell?".

I am used to it now. It does feel odd when I switch back to my 391, but I get used to it after a few rounds. Gripping the swell perfectly has become part of my pre-shot routine. I would absolutely not get a field gun with a palm swell.

I have decided that the stock does not fit me - I need to raise it up about 1/4 inch. When I make good contact with the gun I am looking at the receiver.

Fascinating to me that a stock 391 fits me perfectly and a stock 525 does not. You would think that all manufacturers would have a similar config.

I put a limbsaver pad on the gun and this has made a world of difference. I put one on my 391 and shot 250 rounds in a 6 hour lesson and never felt a thing afterword. Can't say enough about this product.