It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Automatic ejection upon opening?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do the newer shotguns still feature automatic ejection upon opening?
They changed the handy-rifles to manual ejection (you have to pull the empty shell out with your fingers) supposedly over fear of getting sued if someone got hit in the eye with a piece of brass.

Post subject: Re: Automatic ejection upon opening?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Are they even still being made? My understanding was that they were discontinued.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:52 pm 
Limited Edition

oneounceload wrote:
Are they even still being made? My understanding was that they were discontinued.

The last H&R/NEF single shot shotguns & rifles were made by Remington (who cut quality & jacked prices after buying out Marlin/H&R) and have been discontinued for a year or so now. Sad to see, but the storied brand & all the value-oriented guns associated with it are gone for good now it seems. AFAIK, the Chinese-made 'Pardner' pump shotguns are still being imported though.

Unlike the rifles, H&R's shotguns kept the automatic ejection design. I'm not sure about any other factors, but I would guess H&R stopped doing rifle ejectors for cost reasons; towards the end of production in Gardner, MA they stopped doing case hardening on the shotgun receivers as well, with Remington continuing the trend. Additionally, I remember many folks complaining of sporadic ejection problems some years ago with certain calibers in H&R/NEF rifles, so that could have factored in too...

There aren't many single shot shotguns left now, and none are domestically produced that I know of. There are some extractor-only guns (like the $99 'Hatfield' line at Wal Mart) being imported from Turkey, the Pointer line from Legacy Sports (also made in Turkey but featuring an ejector, transfer bar, and selectable manual safety), and the Rossi line made by Taurus in Brazil. The latter guns are similar to the Pointers, and have some nice features, but in my opinion their metallurgy/durability are rather suspect. Additionally, there may still be some Russian IZH/Baikal shotguns around, and these feature a neat selector switch allowing for either ejection or extraction of shells.

It would be nice to see another American-built single shot offered for a reasonable price, but I don't know if we'll see it. I think something like Topper Deluxe Classic would have enough upgraded features & still be affordable to make and sell, but who knows if there is enough market for it with all the inexpensive repeaters out there now...

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:32 pm 
Field Grade

Just in Henry rifle will be releasing 3 single shot shotguns this May 2017

https://www.henryusa.com/shotgun/single-shot-shotgun/

Not cheap, though they will all have auto eject and screw in chokes. They actually look really nice.
You can pick either brass frame or steel as well, following the Henry tradition! Cheers!