CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: reloading your single shot
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

Now I should begin by acknowledging that multiple shots isn't the point of using a single shot. That said, it would be nice on occasion to get a seconds shot off more quickly. So I'm wondering, what methods have people used that allow them to reload quickly. More specifically, where do you keep your extra shells so you can grab them and bring them up to the chamber easily?

Post subject: Re: reloading your single shot
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:35 am 
Diamond Grade

I have always kept my shells in the left pocket of my vest so I can break the action open with my right. As the spent shell is ejected I can get the new one in place pretty fast. When I was much younger and more concerned about a second shot I would actually keep a fresh round between my fingers in my left hand.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:01 am 
Limited Edition

Same here, I wear an upland vest that carries 12 shells accross the chest, I usually carry 3 in my right pocket for reloading when I'm not in a hurry. That makes 15 shells, I keep a box in the truck should I ever actually dent 15 primers on a day after Ruffed Grouse.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:02 am 
Utility Grade

same here pop it open with the right hand reach for a shell with my left in a pocket or belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

I use a butt stock shell carrier. I keep the gun on my shoulder and hit the release. I then reach over with my left hand and pull a shell and load. As I close the action, I cock with my right thumb if I'm going to shoot again. I use the gun a lot in the winter when things are cold and wet. Works for me.

Lock and Load! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:19 pm 
Field Grade

I keep a shell between the middle and ring fingers of the left hand. When I shoot I use the right thumb to unlock and the shell is ready to go in. Makes for a pretty fast second shot.

Liberty: A well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:25 pm 
Field Grade

OK I'm quilty of trying it, When I watch doves land in tall goat weed they usually come in in pairs. If you walk them up then they will usually fly straight away from you and sometimes taking flight about a second or so apart. That's when you might pull it off. The time I actually scored I had the extra between the last two fingers of my shooting hand (right). Super bragging rights and not a soul in sight :( . Yeah they took off about two seconds apart - so what, I leave that part out when I tell it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:20 pm 
Utility Grade

I use roughly the same technique as American Gunner. This works well with the shell ejector. I use a 20ga Pardner with an Allen stock shell holder.

The only difference is when I hunt to get the fallow up shot if needed the "sock" is not on the stock but I have it on my left arm, hit the break lock with my right thumb let the shell fly while holding the forearm with my left hand and stock against my shoulder, reach over with my right hand grab a shell, load the gun, close the chamber and cock the hammer with my right hand at the same time. And im ready for my fallow up shot.

If I get the chance to get a video of my technique as ill post it up.

TJ

My Allen shell holder I call it my "shell sock"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:26 am 
Field Grade

tjeffords wrote:
The only difference is when I hunt to get the fallow up shot if needed the "sock" is not on the stock but I have it on my left arm,

Thanks for that tip. Shell holders do not work on my Partners since I'm a big fan of straight stocks on shotguns (I cut sand and refinish them myself). It's the semi-grip that keeps the shell holder from just pushing forward against the trigger guard and mine has no sime-grip.