CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NEF/H&R 16 ga. single shot
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:26 pm 
Utility Grade

I know these aren't popular anymore, but are they still in production?
Been looking all over here in TN, gun shows, stores, etc., can't find one,
new or used. Why? Partly sentimental, from my Grandpa's old 16 Nitro,
to I just like the 16.
Any suggestions in TN?

Post subject: Re: NEF/H&R 16 ga. single shot
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:55 am 
Presentation Grade

Based on what I see on their website, it looks like they don't currently produce a 16 gauge. If you will haunt a store that sells second hand/consignment guns, eventually one will show up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:39 pm 
Utility Grade

QuarterChoke wrote:
Based on what I see on their website, it looks like they don't currently produce a 16 gauge. If you will haunt a store that sells second hand/consignment guns, eventually one will show up.

That's true. They no longer produce the 16ga. Believe me, I've checked every gun show
table, gun store, pawn shop, classifieds, personal property sales ads, etc. Gotta be
one out there somewhere. LOL
You can still find a Winchester 37 now & then, but they're priced thru the roof.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:21 pm 
Limited Edition

You might try Gunbroker as I bet they have some.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Well, folks, after years looking in every gun show, store, pawn shop, personal
property ad, I finally found my 16 ga. single shot H&R.
Went to the gun show in Murfreesboro, TN., Sat. Found an old H&R Mod.48
Topper. Mfg. in 1947. Looks very good inside & out, clean bore, tight.
Has a 30" Full choke barrel. Kicks a bit with high brass shells. Just the ticket
for a tree top bushy tail.
Now to wait for the 4th Sat. in Aug. for season to open.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:40 pm 
Utility Grade

My dad gave his father-in-law a H&R 16 Topper back in the 60s. Upon Grandpa's death, it was returned to my dad. Dad loves to tell the story of when he killed a buck with just plain old #4 game load. He actually prefers the 16 over the 12 and I tend to agree. On my 16th birthday, he gave it to me. I killed my biggest buck to date with it back in 2000. My 12 year old daughter is cutting her teeth on it this deer season. I told her that her great-grandpa, grandpa, and me have all killed deer and squirrels with it, so now she has to continue the tradition (but no pressure, hee hee)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:39 am 
Limited Edition

Grunt67 wrote:
You can still find a Winchester 37 now & then, but they're priced thru the roof.

...also, Stevens-Savage Model 94.
Sometimes sold under "Springfield" and "Westernfield" brands, as well.
Similar gun is Stevens model 107.
Lastly, Savage (sometimes listed also as Stevens) model 9478.
All are very similar guns that were produced between 1929 and 1961, except for the 9478.
There are also "lettered" versions of the 94 (A, B, C). I have never found out what the signifigance of the letters were, although they were obviously some kind of variation to the original 94.
All of these guns, plus the H&R single, Iver Johnson Champion and Winchester Model 37 (and its varients) can be had for a decent price. You just have to do some searching.
You may want to check Guns America ( http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/Category/327/2/Guns/Shotguns/Harrington-Richardson-Shotguns.htm ) and other such websites for deals.
I believe there's even a buy/sell section at this website.

Dean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:49 am 
Limited Edition

Grunt67 wrote:
I know these aren't popular anymore, but are they still in production?
Been looking all over here in TN, gun shows, stores, etc., can't find one,
new or used. Why? Partly sentimental, from my Grandpa's old 16 Nitro,
to I just like the 16.
Any suggestions in TN?

Well, to break this down to the lowest common denominator, H&R is a business just like any other.
Its sole purpose for existence is to be a money generator.
If a product produced by a company is not genertating much money, it won't be in production for very long.
Alas, this has befallen the 16 gauge.
Once America's Sweeheart, the 16 ga. gave way to the veritable "chameleon " of the shotgun world (no pun intended), the 20 ga.
Smaller, lighter, "cuter", it finally overtook the 16 when the magnum version came out.
Even I have to admit that my own H&R is a 20 (payment for helping a guy move. Just happened to be a 20 ga.).
However, there has been a resurgence of interest in the 16 for several years now, and with H&R now being parented by the all-powerful Remington, an H&R 16 ga. Topper and/or Pardner may be just around the corner.

...maybe if we all e-mailed H&R/Remington and "inquired" as to why the 16 ga. is absent from the line-up, they may be prompted to start producing it again.

Dean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:39 pm 
Utility Grade

Been looking for one myself...I want one real bad. My dad had one and I killed my first squirrel with it in 1970. Somehow that gun got gone when my dad passed away. Oh the memories...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DeerManDan wrote:
Been looking for one myself...I want one real bad. My dad had one and I killed my first squirrel with it in 1970. Somehow that gun got gone when my dad passed away. Oh the memories...

I picked up an H&R Model 88 off Gunbroker.com around mid-January. Metal on outside was in excellent condition with no rust or pitting. Forearm has a 3 inch scratch but all else looked good. Used some lemon oil on the wood and it really looks good now. You can hardly notice the scratch. The bore had a lot of plastic wad build up and I removed quite a bit, but need to clean it one more time to get all the plastic out. Gun really looks good, especially considering it is 30 years old.

Reminds me of the 16 gauge I used to use as a teenager.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:43 am 
Field Grade

DeanMk wrote:
Grunt67 wrote:

...also, Stevens-Savage Model 94.
Sometimes sold under "Springfield" and "Westernfield" brands, as well.
Similar gun is Stevens model 107.
Lastly, Savage (sometimes listed also as Stevens) model 9478.
All are very similar guns that were produced between 1929 and 1961, except for the 9478.
There are also "lettered" versions of the 94 (A, B, C). I have never found out what the signifigance of the letters were, although they were obviously some kind of variation to the original 94.

DeanMk you can add Sears "J. C. Higgins under that list of Savages also. Here is a J. C. Higgins model 1101 in .410 except on the other side it says (in small print) 94C. Stevens all the way.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:45 pm 
Limited Edition

Wow.
Except for the forearm, that looks just like my brother's 16 ga.

Dean