It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unusual Pardner Pump Problems
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:26 pm 
Field Grade

This post is not meant to bash or talk bad about these guns. This is just my account of an experience I had that I thought I would make people aware of, and was curious to see if anybody else have ever had these problems.

About 2 months ago, I purchased a brand new NEF Pardner Pump 12 ga., 28 inch barrel, dipped in Realtree APG. I was very excited to receive it once I ordered it from an online source. I researched a lot of shotguns and I liked everything that I read about the Pardner pump except for the occasional bashers that had no experience with the guns. I even overlooked the fact that it is supposedly is made in China (but that's a whole other subject and irrelevant to this post).
Anyway, I received the gun, unwrapped it, cleaned the fool out of it to get all the preservative off of it, oiled it back up and re-lubed the choke and everything. I then went to a wma in southeastern georgia to do some duck hunting as well as up to Stuttgart, Arkansas. Well to make a long story short, I continually had intermittent problems with the gun loading and cycling a shell from the magazine and also problems with ejecting the hull of a shot shell.
Let me say that I was slightly upset. I would take a shot at a group of birds, slide the action back and another shell would not load causing me to dry-fire the gun a couple times along with a couple occasions not allowing me to load another round because of the spent shell being stuck in the receiver.
I called H&R and they sent me a prepaid shipping label to send the gun to an authorized gun repair center(by the way, the repair request came in a Remington envelope, so YES, Remington DOES own this company). So I sent the gun off along with a description of the problem. A week later, the repair shop calls me and tells me they have to forward it on to the factory because they can't figure out what's wrong with it. It is currently still there, and haven't heard from them yet.
When I get it back, I will most likely sell it. I wish I didn't have to do it because it seemed like a great gun for the price, but maybe I just got a lemon. I just thought I would inform anybody interested in the gun to make a wise choice and whether they want to take a chance.

Post subject: Re: Unusual Pardner Pump Problems
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:49 pm 
Field Grade

I find that odd. I won this exact gun at a Delta Waterfowl event. I did the same thing, cleaned the packing grease out of it, but took it right down to the screws. Magizine tube, spring, trigger mech, breech, etc. It was covered in gunk. While I was in there I noticed a few burrs on some of the finished parts. A few minutes with emery cloth and put it back together. I decided to keep this gun as a guest gun, due to the fact it is a spiting image o the 870, but made with better stuff than the Express. It has worked flawlessly for two years now, and is my Turkey gun because of it's finish and colour. With that being said, you may have gotten a Friday afternoon/Monday morning gun. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:05 pm 
Field Grade

That's exactly why I was so surprised, because of ALL the great things I read about the gun. That's why I decided to get it. I'm disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mine has a cracked plastic follower which is tying up the spring in the mag tube keeping the shells from cycling---the gun has never been shot yet.

I haven't called them yet but I'm fixin to.

Just called but hung up after 10 mins of being on hold.

They need to come up with something better than the TOY plastic follower they currently use.

I like the gun but getting real close to just dumping it and being done with it.

Again---the gun has NEVER been shot---only cleaned and the stuffed with shells and put behind the bedroon door------good thing I found there was a problem before I really needed it---I just happened to pick it up and look it over while messing around the house yesterday on the day off.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:34 pm 
Field Grade

Yeah, I'm STILL waiting for them to send it back to me. I'm DEFINITELY going to sell it when I get it back

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

I got ahold of them last Wed---he said a 6 month wait for the H&R part but they could send the Remington part right away----still waiting---so we'll see.

Anything has to be better than the crap H&R part that was in there. I'd buy aftermarket--but its a 20ga and nobody is making a 20ga follower with cut outs to get past the mag tube dimples.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

Still no part yet---even snail mail isn't that slow.

Just bought a Mossberg 20ga to take its place--should have bought this one in the first place.

Once the part shows up I'll go do a little horse trading.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:21 am 
Field Grade

That's exactly what i did capitalistpig, I bought a supernova, and I wish I would have gotten it in the first place. I really learned that you get what you pay for in this situation.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Still no part yet---I had an old style Remington follower laying around---so I unscrewed the mag tube and put the follower in the back arse-ward way.

It works fine now --but I'm even more intent on ditching it due to shoddy CS that can't even get a $3 part to me in what is coming up on 2 weeks.

I'm pretty much done with anything H&R-Remington-Marlin-Bushmaster-Cerubus.

Just bought another Mossberg---looking real hard at a BPS when I trade off the H&R.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:31 pm 
Field Grade

Yeah, I called about mine two days ago, which it's been at the factory for about 2 1/2 weeks now...they said they havent even started working on it yet...
But yeah, I've had an 870 express mag for a while now, and haven't had any problems with it, but I think I'm done with rem, h&r, marlin, etc. too. I've heard their quality control has gone to sh**, and them putting their name behind a company that takes 3 weeks to send a part out or 3 weeks to even begin a repair isnt worthy of my money.
What do you think I should do? Should i call them and request a gun of the same value? or tell them I want my money back or what? I really don't want to sit around 6 months later still without a gun...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mine's gone now---traded in part for a new Beretta Urika 2 syn---happy as a pig in s--- now-------once I got the stock set up, this is the only gun that has fit me to a T in all these years.

Done messin around with the super cheapies---Mossberg is as cheap as I get from now on.

Oh ya-----still no part yet either---now goin on 3 weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Over a month now---still no part----glad hunting season isn't coming up---not that it matters since the gun is gone.

Just keep this in mind when looking at a new Cerubus POS---and yes that includes Remington.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:54 pm 
Field Grade

Finally got my Pardner back after 2 months...said they found the same problems I discovered, and said they fixed them, but im still getting rid of it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:29 pm 
Field Grade

mine had a similar issue with cycling in the next round, would eject fine though, switched to higher grade shells and works fine now...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:00 pm 
Field Grade

Well i took the gun out to field test it to make sure everything works properly and was excited to find out that it cycled and ejected properly both 2-3/4 as well as 3" shells.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:09 pm 
Field Grade

So Remington is now owned by a parent company that also owns H&R, Bushmaster, and some others, correct?
I am also starting to wonder about quality control, the latest issue of American Rifleman has a total of 4 recall notices for either Remington ammo, firearms, and Bushmaster firearms....

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:48 am 
Field Grade

Oh yeah i'm sure and almost positive quality control has been an issue just because of all the crappy new 870's coming out and all that jazz.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a Pardner Pump that I got new in 06. The gun has preformed flawlessly for 4 hunting seasons, sorry to hear you had an issue with yours.

NEF Pardner Pump
Mossberg 500
Savage Milano
Beretta Xtrema

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:18 am 
Utility Grade

Not too well versed as far as shotguns go, but read all the posts trying to help a buddy with his pardner pump, thinking bout buying it off him super cheap for a project gun while im in school to be a gunsmith. Ive never personally messed with one, but aside from the followers, are there any individual parts in them that are just total junk? or should i invest in something else entirely? got my eye on a supernova for the field, and an Ithaca from 1922 for trap.

Looking for any advice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:09 am 
Utility Grade

My son had his 20 gauge pardner pump for almost a year before the cheap plastic follower crumbled into pieces. Can't find a replacement anywhere. Also contacted H&R and they sent me a mailing invoice to ship it back to the factory. Haven't done it yet as I am sure it will sit for months....all for a cheap plastic piece! Frustrating!