It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 870 Express in 28 gauge
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

Is the express in 28 gauge, currently being manufactured?.

Post subject: Re: 870 Express in 28 gauge
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Caerlonie wrote:
Is the express in 28 gauge, currently being manufactured?.

Doesn't show on Remington's website:

https://www.remington.com/search/shotguns?productfamily=All&cartridge=319&barrellength=All&barreltype=All&stockmaterial=All&stockfinish=All&additionaloptions=All&passion=All

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

I hear they exist/existed.............I've never seen one!

"a man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:21 pm 
Crown Grade

longislandloco wrote:
I hear they exist/existed.............I've never seen one!

I can assure you they exist..............somewhere. A guy that I shot with at a previous club had one. Being an inveterate gun trader, it went down the road somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Had one a few years back - great little gun !!!

Killed several Quail / Chukar and Pheasant with it .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:17 pm 
Field Grade

I'm pretty sure I saw one the last time I was at Whittaker's.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not currently in production. It is available in a Wingmaster.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:17 am 
Diamond Grade

I have an 28 gauge, 870 that has a deep blue finish, plain wood, not high gloss, no Wingmaster markings, plain side receiver, vr barrel. I was challenged it was not a Wingmaster, but have the box, which states it as a special order Wingmaster. It came from a deceased club member's estate. I can dig it out and provide more accurate information if needed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

railroad wrote:
I have an 28 gauge, 870 that has a deep blue finish, plain wood, not high gloss, no Wingmaster markings, plain side receiver, vr barrel. I was challenged it was not a Wingmaster, but have the box, which states it as a special order Wingmaster. It came from a deceased club member's estate. I can dig it out and provide more accurate information if needed.

Not hard to believe. Back when you could special order practically any combination of regular production features. And Remington's rollmarking has been all over the map. I have seen a regular production 1100 wit nothing on the receiver but the serial number.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

I just bought one from Bud's a month and a half ago. The Express 870s appear to be MUCH better, in general, than just a few years ago. The 28 gauge version is very nice, shooting and handling much like my 28 gauge Wingmaster. It does come with a fixed, modified choke and a 25 inch barrel - or at least mine did. It's not finished as nicely as the Wingmaster, obviously, but the wood they're using on the Express models now is decent. It is a virtual twin of the 20 gauge Express I also have, and the serial numbers sequence the same (meaning the same length, and letters where letters should be, etc.).

My LGS guy couldn't buy one at wholesale - he suspects that they are a special run made only for online retailers. We found them on Bud's and Cheaper Than Dirt - that's the only places we looked. They were still available last time I looked, but that's been a month now. The $50 rebate worked. The Remington order number is "25599." The UPC is "047700"255996." Whether they're in production now, or whether they're part of a "run" which still has inventory in the channel, I don't know.

W

Edited to clean up some poor typing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:16 am 
Presentation Grade

I figured a run must have been made recently.....I see enough of them advertised by online sellers that they can't all be new/old stock or similar.Does your new 28 express have the plastic trigger guard and or is it alloy?.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:09 am 
Presentation Grade

Seems to be alloy, but they make some plastics so tough and hard now - I'm only like 90 percent certain. I haven't seen a known plastic guard to know for sure.

Well, I just checked the 20 gauge - I'm almost certain it's plastic. I can get a faint "ring" out of the 28 guard, but the 20 I cannot - and it seems lighter and just "plasticky." The 20 gauge also has "Remington" embossed across the guard - the 28 version does not.

Yeah, the packaging and paperwork are all the same as the 20 gauge version I have, so it's a current shotgun. With the taxes and fees, etc., I have just under $400 in it (I think that's how it ended up) after the rebate.

W

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:24 am 
Presentation Grade

Oh...one other note. I wish I could think of everything at one time, but...out of the boxes...

The difference in handling between the 20 gauge and 28 gauge Express shotguns I have is simply stunning. The 20 gauge doesn't handle as well as my 1960 Wingmaster in 16 gauge. I had the opportunities to shoot them on back-to-back days in the dove field during the recently ended first segment this season. Both were short hunts, but I was 6 for 11 with the 28 the day after receiving it, with no practice beforehand. Missed the first 3 shots then settled down after figuring out the lead relationship with the MD, which I rarely use (normally CY or IC). It was a head thing - just thinking too much. The very next hunt I was 2 for 8 using the 20 gauge, likewise with no prior shooting. Missed the first 6 shots and hit 2 slow crossers to finish OK. Using IC tube for that hunt.

The 28 "felt like" I was using my 870 Wingmaster in 28, which is my second favorite shotgun. The 20 gauge "felt like" I was using a 12 gauge pump, and I felt like I had lost any advantage in handling resulting from using a sub-gauge. (If/when I ever use a 12 gauge again for dove hunting, which is not likely, I may not feel that way.) And, I know that's not true of 20s in general - there are lots of great handling 20 gauge shotguns, including some of the 870s. Just not mine.

Obviously, more experimentation is in order. I had told myself I wasn't going to get another 20 gauge, but I found a bunch of ammo I need to use up, and I'd rather use it than sell it. So, I found a couple of good sales and ended up with two 20 gauge shotguns I really could live without!

W

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

Well,I went ahead and ordered one.....28 gauge guns are extremely hard to find down here,no one bothers to import them as a regular item to stock.Its a pity they are not available in a 'upland' configuration with a short barrel (say 22-23 inch) and a straight English type stock.That would really be a nifty little gun.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

Good deal. Let us know how you like it and so forth. You might also want to check out the 28 Gauge Society, now a Tapatalk group, if you haven't already.

I like short barrels, too, but the 25 inch is quite nimble and works well. As I continued the comparison of the 20 and 28, I noticed the 28 has a 14 inch LOP with just a plate - the 20 gauge has a 13.75 inch LOP including a 3/4 inch pad. So, there are some differences. The 28 handles much better to me despite the slightly longer LOP (and I'm a short guy).

W

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:19 pm 
Crown Grade

wjonessc wrote:
I like short barrels, too, but the 25 inch is quite nimble and works well. As I continued the comparison of the 20 and 28, I noticed the 28 has a 14 inch LOP with just a plate - the 20 gauge has a 13.75 inch LOP including a 3/4 inch pad.
W

Well, then, summpin' ain't right with that 20 gauge. :D I had a 20 gauge express and it was a full 14 inches with the recoil pad.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

Vette Jockey wrote:
wjonessc wrote:
I like short barrels, too, but the 25 inch is quite nimble and works well. As I continued the comparison of the 20 and 28, I noticed the 28 has a 14 inch LOP with just a plate - the 20 gauge has a 13.75 inch LOP including a 3/4 inch pad.
W

Well, then, summpin' ain't right with that 20 gauge. :D I had a 20 gauge express and it was a full 14 inches with the recoil pad.

Yeah, I wondered about that, Vette. Seems odd to me. But, that's how it measures. And, it should just "feel better" than it does. Dunno. Haven't measured anything else on it - maybe I will.

W

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Well,I finally took delivery of it last week, cost me an arm and a leg but it was the only way to get hold of one, the 870 express is a common gun down here but only in 12 or 20 ga.I would say quality is pretty good for an express it seemed a bit better finished and put together than some other expresses I have handled, although they were older ones not current production.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sorry, but I just saw this. (Lots of holiday stuff and college football stuff took my time!) Anyway, happy you got it - that wasn't too long, considering things, I suppose. I hope it works well for you. Your experience in comparing Express models from different time periods seems to match what I have found. I'm still quite happy with mine.

I really hope they keep making them a while - it's a good and relatively inexpensive way for people to try out the 28 gauge.

W