CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 11-87 SPS Super Mag Syn. vs. 11-87 Super Mag Sportsman Syn.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

A fellow workmate found out that I just purchased a 870 Super Mag and had been shooting targets with it for some pre-season shooting. He told me that he'd been kicking around buying the 11-87 Super Mag with the black synthetic stock for some time and wanted to act soon.

He asked if I wanted to go along to a local shop near work because he's handles Remingtons and knows I'm somewhat a fan. They had both the SPS and the Sportsman versions there and I (and he) don't know or could figure out what is differences between these two guns because they appear to be identical. Hey, I don't know everything but, I can't see why there is around a $200 difference in MSRP and the same approximate difference between the two even in real sticker price. Getting info from the clerk was like pulling teeth, he truly knew little to nothing.

The only differences I'd seen were slightly different checkering (pressing/molding) if that is what you want to call it, SPS has (3) choke tubes & Sportsman has (1), and SPS has a mid bead. I just don't see where this added up to $200 in the full picture, I have to be missing or overlooking something big.
I'm open to hear any guesses or facts about it. The Sportsman seem to be the one that is generally on sale at the Dick's, Calela's and BPS's. I can't be the only one who has noticed this. I went as far as calling Remington at breaktime because my curiosity level is up, was a waste of time because customer service persons are not technical they just read from the product guide and the internet source that anyone can access, you get a major run around in trying to get in touch with someone technical and never get through. Heck, maybe those few things add up to that. You can buy alot of choke tubes for $200.

Post subject: re: 11-87 SPS Super Mag Syn. vs. 11-87 Super Mag Sportsman S
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:46 pm 
Utility Grade

You already noted a couple of key differences: Number of chokes, twin beads versus single bead. According to the Remington website other diffrences include the SPS Super Magnum includes a sling swivels and a padded sling. I am not certain if the metal finishes are different. Did you notice when you handled them? Obviously the biggest difference is a 3.5 inch chamber for the SPS Super Magnum versus the 3 inch chamber on the Sportsman. That combined with the other differences equates to the price gap.

There are many Remington experts that know more than I do, so hopefully they can chip in. In the meantime this links should help:
http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... magnum.asp
http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... _specs.asp
http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... rtsman.asp
http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... _specs.asp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:48 am 
Diamond Grade

But the Sportsman Super Mag Synthetic is a 3 1/2" chamber. I could see it also if it were 3".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:57 am 
Presentation Grade

They don't make the SPS anymore either... My barrel broke (SPS) and Remington replaced it with a sportsman barrell. I called and told them I knew the difference and wanted the SPS barrel (midbead) and they said it wasn't being manufactured anymore... The matting on top of the barrel is different and the ramp of the rib is way more pronounced on the sportsman. Also the SPS used a big white bead as the front bead... The sportsman's bead is smaller than a straightpin head.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

We went back for a second look today and you guys are right and my initial view was correct. I was definitly wrong in my thinking that there had to be some kind of an internal upgrade or some type of mechanical upgrade.

The SPS has a heavy checkering on the rib surface as a non-reflective, appears to be the same machining as the 870 Express ribs have and it does have a mid-bead.. The Sportsman rib has a smoother non-reflective finish.

Black non-reflective finish on receiver and barrel is the same both.

Sportsman has the newer style "Super Cell" pad, SPS has last years R3 Limbsaver.

SPS receiver is stamped slightly different. Stamped as a Special Purpose Super Magnum...blah..blah..blah

Black synthetic stocks are only slightly difference, SPS is checkered, Sportsman is more of a raised panel design. Quality is no greater or lesser.

Fit finish on metal to synthetic is the same, and is no real prize on either.

Both had slings, SPS was alittle better having a Butler Creek anti-slip.

SPS has (3) tubes, imp, modified, & full. Sportsman has modified.

The SPS in my view is not worth the huge extra cash difference. If it were only $30 or $40 and the mid-bead and a few extra choke tubes mean that much, that would be one thing.

****NOTE**** This point that I noticed, to me is the biggest blunder of the 11-87 Super Mag. The Super Mag is marketed and advertised as a pressure compensated gun to handle 2 3/4" through 3 1/2" shells and I believe it will but, there is an additional piston ring seal that has to be installed when going to the 2 3/4" shells. Seems like a hastle, seems like an issue, seems like it's not user friendly. The owners manual doesn't clearly picture these component parts. They don't even look close to what is illustrated. Not much is defined. Poor job of engineering at the factory for the consumer public. How much more could it cost to have real illustrations printed into the owners manual. I can see now why there were alot of bad reviews about the cycling aspects of this gun.

My co-worker is going with the 870 Express Super Magnum w/ black Synthetic stock. It seems to be better priced and more reliable all around. I don't think he's making a poor choice.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:47 pm 
Utility Grade

Quote:
But the Sportsman Super Mag Synthetic is a 3 1/2" chamber. I could see it also if it were 3".

Sorry about that Spankey! I forgot about the Sportsman Super Mag Synthetic. :oops: