CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how often do you clean your gun???
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a 11-87 12ga i was wondering how often i should clean it i know it is personal preffence i assume i have shot a box thru mine and the magazine tube is black already how often do in need to clean this and oil it??

Post subject: Re: how often do you clean your gun???
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

To get the best performance, especially from a semi-auto, clean after each use.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DWT wrote:

This^

You are going to hear all kinds of opinions on this one, but the right answer is clean it after you use it, especially since we are talking about a Remington gas auto. They NEED to be cleaned and will perform very well if you keep it clean. Sure, they might run a few hundred, maybe even a thousand rounds without a problem, but by then you will need to do such a complete deep cleaning that it will be no fun at all. I have had to clean up a few Remington's that have gone way to long. I bought an 11/87 from a pawn shop that the piston was froze on the mag tube because there was so much buildup. I wonder how long it was a single shot! Once it was cleaned up it was fine, but it was a bear to really get clean.

If you take the 15 to 30 minutes to clean it up after each use, it will always look and perform like new.

Very Funny Scotty, now beam up my clothes!

Last edited by phil0411 on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:41 am 
Tournament Grade

I clean all my guns thoroughly after each use. As a result malfunctions are ZERO unless a part breaks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:15 am 
Presentation Grade

The sticky on cleaning the 1100 at the top of the page is a good place to start. It's pretty much the same gun as your 1187.

If the gun had gotten wet I'll always take it down for a detailed cleaning as soon as I get home and I"ll usually wipe it down to get as much water as possible off of it and out of it before I start home. Otherwise I'll let it go it a few hundred rounds or so unless I've got the time or want to clean it sooner.

A while back I started using a "Tornado" brush or 0000 steel wool wrapped around a bore brush on the chamber and leaving a coating of "Esox" in the chamber and bore after cleaning. This pretty much eliminates plastic buildup from shotshells. I leave a coating of "Breakfree CLP" on the magazine tube and gas piston assembly and I can usually wipe off the carbon with a paper towel.

I'm not saying this is the only way to clean one but it's worked for me and I can go a ways between cleanings with no problems. YMMV.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:42 am 
Crown Grade

For me, it depends on which gun I've shot. I clean my Super X after each use. The same for my Model 12. On the other hand, I clean my Gold every 300-400. Not that it really has to be cleaned to keep shooting, I just don't want that much burnt-on residue on the magazine tube. My skeet gun almost never gets really cleaned as I use sub-gauge tubes almost exclusively in it. Oh, I do wipe off the standing breech and all fingerprints off the outside each time but that's about it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:04 pm 
Limited Edition

When it starts jamming or the season is over. That is my schedule for cleaning.

Maybe I should baby it a little more but that is not my style.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:17 pm 
Crown Grade

With my 1100 I clean the gas piston assembly, poke through the gas vents with a pipe cleaner and wipe down the magazine tube. I shoot mine wet with Teflon, so in reality it stays "clean" all the time in that no powder buildup appears. As for the trigger assembly and the rest, at my level of shooting they are a twice a year project.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

Is there a "blue moon" out?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:02 pm 
Limited Edition

pashotgunner said it all. JMO - FWIW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:08 pm 
Field Grade

DWT wrote:

This is the right answer for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:44 pm 
Utility Grade

I have found a few min. of cleaning after shooting leads to "BANG" every time I pull the trigger.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:08 am 
Diamond Grade

I too clean all my guns after each use. Since I usually have a child with me it is a great time to just sit and chat about whatever and that keeps the lines of communications open between us.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

EVERY TIME I USE THEM NO MATTER HOW TIRED I AM WHEN I GET HOME.
OUT OF THE 14 RIFLES & SHOTGUNS I OWN THEY ARE USED AND WELL TAKEN CARE OF THAT IS WHY THEY LOOK LIKE NEW.
MY OLD MAN REST HIS SOLE WHEN I WOULD COME BACK FROM SHOOTING WITH HIM WHEN I WAS A KID AND WAS LAZY AND NOT WANT TO CLEAN THE GUN.
I WOULD SAY IT AN'T THAT DIRTY IT DON'T NEED TO BE CLEANED.
THE OLD MAN WOULD TELL ME YOU WIPE YOUR A$$ AFTER EVERY USE CLEAN THAT GUN AFTER EVERY USE.
LOOKING BACK I AM GLAD HE MADE ME RESPONSIBLE.
Fred

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

DwainV;
With any autolaoder clean it thourougly after each use.

NSCA Level II Instructor
NRA Life Member
US Navy Vietnam Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Fred, That's a great line! Isn't funny how blunt our fathers could be around us boys, but say one thing bad around a woman and you get the back of you're head thumped!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

I was raised...you feed the dog first if he went along, clean the guns and then eat. My pumps now get cleaned at the end of Dove season or unless they get rained on. Before they get put in the safe though I spray Rem-oil on the exterior metal and wipe with a baby diaper. When its not hunting season, they get cleaned after each use. Don't use the semi autos for anything but waterfowling, therefore they get cleaned after each use as well.

Last edited by Stroker on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

it is nice to see all the posts on how people differ on taking care of there guns. I was just wondering how often i should clean my gun i clean it more than some and less than others but know i will start cleaning evertime after i shoot, when i clean i have two daughters one 9 and one 4 my 9 year old will get a her 22 that she has and the 4yr old will get her bb gun and we all clean granted the bb gun will need some serious wipe down when she gets done its great DwainV

Post subject: how often do you clean your gun???
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:55 pm 
Field Grade

After each day of hunting or after every 100 rounds at the range, which is usually every trip to the. Sometimes I'll let it go if I've only shot 50 rounds and I'm going back the next week.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:54 am 
Limited Edition

I clean mine after every use for the most part. The last time I wanted to try a new shell and grabbed 5 out of the box and went and threw some clays up and shot them, I didn't clean after that, but I usually do clean it after i'm finished with it. I take real good care of my guns.