CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2723 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 137  Next
 Post subject: Versa Max
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My new Versa Max has arrived. Pictures to follow soon and a full run down on its capabilities as quickly as I can get to the range.

I love liberal math. It's like fiction, but with numbers and stuff.
Fred G

"Progressivism"...new word - It's common but there's no sense in it.

Post subject: Re: Versa Max
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here is how they come....

Time for a good cleaning!

Fred G

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

scienceguy wrote:
For the price of the gun, I would get a beretta or Benelli.

I already have both and they have no bearing or influence on my decision. Price has little to do with it as well, I am interested in how the gun performs and how it holds up. I will torture it and let all know.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=244236#ixzz1AsUiamzL

Fred G

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:41 am 
Crown Grade

That is a nice looking gun, TuJays. Congrats on having the stones to be the first to try one out. Good luck with it, and by all means keep us posted.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here is the run down on the 4 chokes that came with the gun.
They are "Probore extended" tubes and are not compatible with regular Remchokes, nor will regular Remchokes fit in this firearm.

PROBORE "Flooded Timber" has .004 constriction stamped on it but measures .730
PROBORE "Over Decoys" has .009 constriction stamped on it but measures .725
PROBORE "Pass Shooting" has .014 constriction stamped on it but measures .718
PROBORE "Wingmaster HD Turkey/Predator has nothing stamped on it and measures .675

Fred G

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm interested to see how that gun works. The gas porting in the chamber is interesting, but it seems like it would cause problems. I wonder what will happen when you shoot something like Golden Pheasant loads out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Is this one of guns that was made before or after the RECALL?

Defense League, Inc
http://www.ccdl.us

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

clink83 wrote:
I'm interested to see how that gun works. The gas porting in the chamber is interesting, but it seems like it would cause problems. I wonder what will happen when you shoot something like Golden Pheasant loads out of it.

I intend to shoot GPX 2 3/4" #6's ASAP and will let you know. They are about as hot as a 2 3/4" shell can get!

they have, can and will turn standard 1100 and other autoloaders into single shots that jam; with 7 holes open for gas to use, the action should cycle hard and fast with them baby mags

Fred G

Last edited by TuJays on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

LTB45 wrote:
Is this one of guns that was made before or after the RECALL?

"After"! Remingtom has a spot on their website where you can enter the serial # and it will tell you. This one was ordered by me, from remington and came yesterday, new production.

Fred G

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:41 pm 
Limited Edition

How much does a Versa Max cost? When will a wood version be available?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:27 pm 
Limited Edition

That is a nice looking gun. I hope it does well for you. I was looking to get one of those but the delays and the issues they had at the start, so I just went ahead and bought a Maxus. If the Versamax gets good reports, ill get one later on. I trust big green but I don't want to be a guinea pig.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

easyedwin wrote:
How much does a Versa Max cost? When will a wood version be available?

This one (waterfowl) cost me $1,350.00, they are just now coming back onto the shelves in a black 26" barrel version and two camo ones. Rumor has it that a shinny glossy wood version is in the works, but I do not know the time frame. Let me beat the hell out of this one for a while before you get to salivating to much:)

The gun assembles fine, forearm is a little tight which is good (actually had to spread it apart to get it over the gas tubes) as early reports indicated a loose/rattling forearm right out of the box.
Choke tube fit is very tight as well, but it is consistent throughout the screw-in process. These will not loosen while shooting, I can tell already! All four tubes acted the same going in and out.
Gun seems to function as designed. Tomorrow and this weekend I will run some hulls through it and see what rolls up, check on POI first thing. I will be gone most of the weekend on a BSA camping trip (ya I know it's cold, but the scouts like it that way) so a further report may not happen until Sunday afternoon, provided I am not out attacking snow geese.
edit....adjusting the cast was quick and painless, this thing comes with enough shims to adjust two guns, maybe three.

Fred G

Last edited by TuJays on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

browningx06 wrote:
That is a nice looking gun. I hope it does well for you. I was looking to get one of those but the delays and the issues they had at the start, so I just went ahead and bought a Maxus. If the Versamax gets good reports, ill get one later on. I trust big green but I don't want to be a guinea pig.

OINK :wink:

Fred G

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

my friend owns one and ive ran many different types of shells through it and i really like it. im gonna wait for the wood version and from what a remington rep. told me it will be late summer or early fall.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

roscoe71 wrote:
my friend owns one and ive ran many different types of shells through it and i really like it. im gonna wait for the wood version and from what a remington rep. told me it will be late summer or early fall.

If it takes the timeline of the synthetic versa max, that means spring or summer of 2012!!!

cdb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:04 am 
Diamond Grade

TuJays wrote:
clink83 wrote:

I intend to shoot GPX 2 3/4" #6's ASAP and will let you know. They are about as hot as a 2 3/4" shell can get!

they have, can and will turn standard 1100 and other autoloaders into single shots that jam; with 7 holes open for gas to use, the action should cycle hard and fast with them baby mags

That's exactly what I'm curious about. Shooting that exact same load out of my 390 results in the empties being thrown 10-15 feet. I wonder how well the gas system will be able to handle it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:34 am 
Tournament Grade

I am very interested in these but also very tentative to buy Remington products right now. I think this is a great platform in theory, but I am leaning towards buying a Maxus since the cost is the same and it is a proven commodity.

I am still very eager to hear your testing results, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

i just hope when remington does realese the wood version it's not gonna be the crappy high gloss finish over crap wood that the wingmaster wear's. hopefully its more of the oil rubbed finish like what was on the 105 cti. mabey a nice grip cap also cause ya know its gonna be at least 1100.00 so it better look extra nice for remington's sake.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ok, as mentioned above I adjusted the gun "cast off" to fit my funny shaped head and the POI is dead center at 25 yards on the big board. I ran nine Kent 3" Fasteel #4's and nine #2's thru it without a hiccup using the three chokes, (timber, over decoys, and pass) at the 40 yard mark before it got dark. All patterns were even and looked good however for my hunting purpose at that range the "Pass Shooting" choke will be my choice if I use the Kents.
Gun function was fine and the recoil for 3" 1560 fps steel rounds was not bad, as a matter of fact it was kind of nice.
I am taking tomorrow off so I will take it to the club after my morning goose hunt.....that Timber choke should be hell on the skeet course if I do my part. For the morning hunt I will use the Pass shooting choke and the Kent #2's.

Fred G

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:39 pm 
Limited Edition

It's great that someone is really testing this new gun Remington has first. Many poeple on the forum have ran it down without giving it time to see real fire and field tests. I know the gun had a recall but let's see if that was just a hiccup or the start of something bad. Keep up the reports.

The only good crow is the one your about to shoot!

The only good squirrel is a dead squirrel!

Max-5 really!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2723 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 137  Next