CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2813 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 141  Next
 Post subject: Re: Versa Max
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:15 pm 
Field Grade

TuJays wrote:
rickncody wrote:
Tujays, I hope I have one that has a sweet spot. I dont have that with this gun yet---------------------
If they replace the barrel with a reasonable explanation I'm fine. (I'm calling it a misaligned choke tubeI) just need be able to move POI where it needs to be for me One thing for sure I'm going to need a shorter recoil pad from Remmy or an aftermarket. I did get a 1/4 higher comb to try when the barrel gets back. I found myself tilting my head to the stock insead of stock to head. I'm going to try the stock setting you suggested to start with and see what happens. Not going to let one small thing stop me from shooting this great gun. Cant wait to hit the S/C course with it. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance. Rick

Not at the moment! I would love to be standing beside you and everyone else here shooting, but that ain't likely to happen as it would be rude and inconsiderate of me to ask several thousand fine folks to "fit" my schedule :lol:
You are not wrong by getting a new barrel; and you are on the right track with the comb height and cast ("ON") left for a right handed shooter based on what you have stated! That 14 1/4" minimum LOP may be most of your problem.....a 1/4" LOP reduction in pad to get 1`4" LOP with the Cast correct will amount to several inches of POI correction as your eye (the rear sight) is now closer to the target which decreases the angle between "line of sight" and POI...follow me?
We are all learning so much about this new gun together and a lot about shotguns along the way. Just don't give up! Keep "fleshing it out", remain objective and level headed as you have demonstrated{hs#
John

Will do!!. On a side note if anyone reading this thread (thanks to Tujays)knows of anyone that now makes a short pad please PM me or post it up. Like he said we are all learning about this new gun and the more we share the more we learn. {hs#

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am not sure how much shorter it is then the pad that came on my VM since it is currently in the mail back to me, but super cell pad I ordered for my synthetic stocked 1100 is a little shorter then the stock pad. I put it on for the winter when I wear more layers. It might be enough.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:38 pm 
Field Grade

Just got my Versamax back from Remington.Sent it in for Platinum clean,hammer was mushroomed,and sometimes 3rd round would overcycle and hang up live round like it was trying to eject it. They replaced hammmer and Barrel with new one and shipped back in a new versamax plastic case just like it came when i bought it.Custer Service and Warranty is awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Just joined the Vera Max family. Traded in my Benelli SBE for this jewel. It feels great but I have not had a chance to really shoot it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:31 pm 
Field Grade

Any word on if a wood field version will be available? I am leaning more and more to this gun all the time. I think walnut stock would seal the deal. {hs#

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

Skeeter210 wrote:
Just got my Versamax back from Remington.Sent it in for Platinum clean,hammer was mushroomed,and sometimes 3rd round would overcycle and hang up live round like it was trying to eject it. They replaced hammmer and Barrel with new one and shipped back in a new versamax plastic case just like it came when i bought it.Custer Service and Warranty is awesome!

Why a new barrel ? ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:20 am 
Field Grade

ALLDRAKES wrote:
Skeeter210 wrote:

Why a new barrel ? ?

Inside the BBL there were rings formed and it looked like rifling all the way down the barrell not smooth like all my other shotguns.Possibly part of my overcycling problem also.(But don't know that for sure) .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:41 am 
Tournament Grade

Skeeter210 wrote:
ALLDRAKES wrote:
Skeeter210 wrote:

Why a new barrel ? ?

Inside the BBL there were rings formed and it looked like rifling all the way down the barrell not smooth like all my other shotguns.Possibly part of my overcycling problem also.(But don't know that for sure) .

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:34 pm 
Field Grade

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.Waterfowl hunting is done and the weather is crappy here in Idaho,so i will wait for a nice sunny day to go to the range and blast some clay's.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:07 pm 
Field Grade

Tujays, I believe you said awhile back that you were going to pattern some turkey loads and chokes. Have you had a chance yet? Just wondering. Let us know. Thanks, John

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tujays, I have used my VM for the whole season now, I didn't want to make a post or comment till I had used the gun for a while. I couldn't be happier with the VM I have, it has run everything I put in it without fail. I have shot an SBE II for the last two season but had shoulder surgery and had to find something that didn't pound on me as much, this was the perfect fit for me. When I got the gun I did a complete cleaning, and it really needed it, I wrote Remington and got a reply back the next day, "all our guns get test fired and a light cleaning to remove excessive residue" I have to guess that mine got missed somehow. Not a big deal as I clean every gun before taking them out and running anything thru them, but it did make me wonder. They also reminded me that I get a free cleaning and if I was really unhappy they would be happy to clean it for me again prior to my use. This was not an issue as I had already done a good job of getting the grime out and had already shot more than 300 rounds thru it by this time.

The gun preformed flawlessly thru-out the whole waterfowl season and is still doing well for late goose, only two misfires and they were with Remington Hypersonic 3 1/2 #2s, everything else has fired without issue. She has been swimming a few times and dropped in all kinds of mud and trash while chasing ducks and geese this year, not one issue with fit or finish in any way. This gun has preformed much better than I could have hoped. I had to make a few minor adjustments when I bought it so it would fit me, being a short, round required me to make a few moves. The fore stock always seems to be loose when I take it out first thing, it stays tight thru-out the rest of the day. Barely worth noting but it is a minor issue.

I hunt with more than a few SBE owners, we all traded gun at some time thru-out the season and three of them now own a new VM, I didn't see that happening at the time but the more I shoot it the more I realize what a great gun it really is.

Thanks for your post and updates, you and many others here have kept me informed and helped with questions I had without asking.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:48 pm 
Crown Grade

I've got one listed in the classifieds. The grip is too long for my small arthritic hands.
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

AH64ADMP wrote:
Tujays, I have used my VM for the whole season now, I didn't want to make a post or comment till I had used the gun for a while. I couldn't be happier with the VM I have, it has run everything I put in it without fail. I have shot an SBE II for the last two season but had shoulder surgery and had to find something that didn't pound on me as much, this was the perfect fit for me. When I got the gun I did a complete cleaning, and it really needed it, I wrote Remington and got a reply back the next day, "all our guns get test fired and a light cleaning to remove excessive residue" I have to guess that mine got missed somehow. Not a big deal as I clean every gun before taking them out and running anything thru them, but it did make me wonder. They also reminded me that I get a free cleaning and if I was really unhappy they would be happy to clean it for me again prior to my use. This was not an issue as I had already done a good job of getting the grime out and had already shot more than 300 rounds thru it by this time.

The gun preformed flawlessly thru-out the whole waterfowl season and is still doing well for late goose, only two misfires and they were with Remington Hypersonic 3 1/2 #2s, everything else has fired without issue. She has been swimming a few times and dropped in all kinds of mud and trash while chasing ducks and geese this year, not one issue with fit or finish in any way. This gun has preformed much better than I could have hoped. I had to make a few minor adjustments when I bought it so it would fit me, being a short, round required me to make a few moves. The fore stock always seems to be loose when I take it out first thing, it stays tight thru-out the rest of the day. Barely worth noting but it is a minor issue.

I hunt with more than a few SBE owners, we all traded gun at some time thru-out the season and three of them now own a new VM, I didn't see that happening at the time but the more I shoot it the more I realize what a great gun it really is.

Thanks for your post and updates, you and many others here have kept me informed and helped with questions I had without asking.

Well folks...there you go!!!
Real life, real use, real action, by a real person.
Thanks AH......and welcome to SGW {hs#
Me and guys like you are why I started this topic; it is not about any other gun it is about the VM. I think at first, many on this SGW site thought that they would see me going to other "brands" site and bash, bash, bash that brand in favor of the VM.....this has not and will not happen, and I will not stand for it :wink:
The gun will stand on it's own or fail on it's own....period!!!
A small testament to its short success is the fact that this "thing" I started in early January 2011 is now over 50 pages long, and still going thanks to all the fine folks that continue to report in!
JM

I love liberal math. It's like fiction, but with numbers and stuff.
Fred G

"Progressivism"...new word - It's common but there's no sense in it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dalecooper51 wrote:

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?

No :twisted:
I got all the shells I wanted but a couple of brands and it has done nothing but rain for several days...plus i been busy :shock:
I hope to get to it soon.....I will post results/pics!
JM

I love liberal math. It's like fiction, but with numbers and stuff.
Fred G

"Progressivism"...new word - It's common but there's no sense in it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:40 pm 
Field Grade

:D Thumbs up to the service dept!! Got the barrel today. 9 day turnaround. I sent back a stripped unit and they send back a complete one! :D :D Got to love that!! Now to start the POI process again. Stay tuned folks
Installed the plate "B" "CR" as you suggested ( I had B CL as a final position) and changed the comb with the new 1/4 " rise. PERFECT fit without hunting cloths. This will be fine for the S/C range, but I'll still have to shorten the pad somehow for hunting. Heading out to check POI with this setting. The beads align fine with this barrel, lets see how it shoots.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

Since the implosion, Remington got my VM back to be in just over a week (including shipping both ways). I am pleased with Remington's customer service as they have been nothing but stellar in regards to this gun. However, I am starting to worry about the durability of the gun. In the 6 months that I have owned it, I only have about 4k rounds through it (mostly 7/8 oz about 1250 fps) and the majority of the moving parts and barrel have been replaced. I really like shooting the Versamax, but am glad that I have 18 months left on the factory warranty.

If the weather permits, I will shoot a round of sporting and some skeet this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

That doesnt sound good. Imagine what 3.5 would have done. Thats all well and good about the customer service, but honestly,these types of posts are becoming too frequent about replacing parts and barrels.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

kuffs06 wrote:
Well it happened! My versamax broke! The retaining pin worked itself loose at the trap range, and wedged itself against the reciever bending the retaining pin. I'm not happy! By the sounds of it, ill be sending the whole gun back to remington!

LOL yes I am still alive I had a great hunting season with the VM inspite of my retaining pin problem too, sorry to hear about your bad luck. I have still yet to send mine out to Remington in Quebec I have been super busy at work. Winter is oil drilling season here in Norhtern Alberta. I am going to send it out next week and I think they are replacing the entire gun due to the gouge in teh receiver.

Later
Phil

Remington 11-87
Remington Versa Max (traded in)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Iloveducks wrote:
Tujays, I believe you said awhile back that you were going to pattern some turkey loads and chokes. Have you had a chance yet? Just wondering. Let us know. Thanks, John

I sighted mine today for turkey. Shot many different types all through the turkey choke. Best pattern i had was 67 on a 9" plate at 40 yds with Remington wingmaster HD 3" 1 5/8oz #6, second best was 50 with the Remington duplex 4x6 1 7/8oz. However i can’t seem to find the wingmaster anywhere. Most say out of stock or discontinued by manufacture but Remington still shows on their site.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Shot a flat of shells through mine today without any issues. It took a bit to get back on my game, but I ran my last 50 shooting low gun skeet doubles. As long as it holds up, I'll be shooting my VM as it's a great gun. The implosion has given me a little pause and I am directing a few bucks each check into the gun fund.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2813 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 141  Next