CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 131  Next
 Post subject: Re: Versa Max
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

marbleeye wrote:
tujay,
great hunt. The reason I was asking about the trigger, I was hoping Remington will come out with a rifled barrel for the VM. In my part of Minnesota we can not use rifles, most shotgun triggers aren't great deer guns. Thank you for the pictures and posts, I'm sure the gun shops will have some soon.
Don

Ah ha, I understand the question....I will make a point of testing it out tomorrow, a slow steady squeeze should tell us what you need to hear. Will they let you use a muzzleloader?
John

I love liberal math. It's like fiction, but with numbers and stuff.
Fred G

"Progressivism"...new word - It's common but there's no sense in it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:35 pm 
Limited Edition

Yes we can, I do use a ML for stand hunting but a semi-auto for drives.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

marbleeye wrote:
Yes we can, I do use a ML for stand hunting but a semi-auto for drives.

I think it will be adequate for both buckshot and slugs with open sights, red dot or low power scope on driven deer.
The receiver is drilled for scope mounts from the factory, now the question is...do they make the right barrel for it yet?

Fred G

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

yeah throw a carlson rifled choke tube in that versamax and shoot some cardboard with a couple buckhammers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Maxus Man73185 wrote:
yeah throw a carlson rifled choke tube in that versamax and shoot some cardboard with a couple buckhammers

No go here; where I come from shotguns are for things that have feathers and for the most part fly...rifles are for everything else (this is because we don't have any laws on the books telling us we can't, nor would we stand for any!). No offense meant, it's just the way it is around here in the "fly over" country!

Fred G

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gun Shop around here had 2, one in black and one in camo and they shouldered real nice, I think 1000.00 for the black and a little more for the camo.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:33 am 
Presentation Grade

Here is a good story. This is taken from page 3 of Outdoor Life's web site.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/guns/shotguns/2011/01/remington-versa-max?page=0%2C2

"Gun Test: Remington Versa Max
Big Green looks to the future with an ingenious and versatile 3 1/2-inch autoloader.
Article by John B. Snow . Uploaded on January 11, 2011

Torture Test
But does it work? I went to Argentina with Remington executives and a small group of outdoor writers for the unveiling of the Versa Max in a public forum last summer. The guys from Remington were understandably anxious. High-volume bird shooting is the most rigorous proving ground for any field gun.

The Remington officials got a dose of bad news when we arrived in country: The shipping container with all our Remington shotgun shells was held up in customs. Except for the handful of boxes we toted in our luggage of Remington’s new Hypersonic steel waterfowl load (another innovative product I’ll write about in an upcoming issue), our guns were going to have to run on the locally made—and notoriously unreliable—shotgun shells.
With swarms of noble-looking wood pigeons circling overhead some days and endless waves of doves flying past on others, we proceeded to put thousands of rounds through our guns. (We also snuck in a couple of sessions of waterfowling with the steel shot.)

One afternoon, while shooting by a roosting area, my shotgun digested 93 boxes of shells. This stuff was about the dirtiest ammo I had ever seen. At one point my shotgun caught fire due to the build-up of unburned powder caking on the inside of the chamber. The gun was so hot that when I opened the action to load more shells, the combination of oxygen, heat and volatile gunky residue ignited, and flames spurted out of the action like a signal flare. Once the conflagration died down, I gave the gun a quick once-over, deemed it fit for action and kept shooting. It’s worth noting that the tiny gas ports in the chamber never fouled during the trip.

Given the abusive circumstances, the guns performed amazingly well. The small number of misfeeds experienced seemed dependent on the given lot of ammo we shot. We also had some light primer strikes, which was probably due to both the ammo and the prototype bolt heads in our guns. I doubt either will be an issue going forward."

OK, looks like B guns better look out.

slomo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

yeah but tujays houses would get shot all the time if retards were thrown 30.06 bullets around here in western ny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Maxus Man73185 wrote:
yeah but tujays houses would get shot all the time if retards were thrown 30.06 bullets around here in western ny

dammit man, make sense for once:)

Fred G

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

People Have to hunt with slug guns because there are houses into close of proximity. You couldn't allow people to use 30-06 rifles to hunt deer here. Thats why we use slug guns to hunt deer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If one would be so careless as to shoot a house they do not need any kind of gun!
Rules to regulate common sense do not make sense! Is there no one who is responsible or assumes responsibility for themselves or does your elected officials deem none of you capable?

Fred G

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:22 am 
Limited Edition

I was told the shotgun only regulation was put in place to protect deer from being shot at longer distances there by also making it safer for urban areas. The problem is all the new technology, being rifled slug barrels and rifled muzzle loaders has really put confusion to the law. The smooth bore slug barrel effective range was 125 yards and muzzle loaders were junk. My personal feeling is if we can use rifled slug guns and muzzle loaders, why not just allow rifles.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

marbleeye wrote:
I was told the shotgun only regulation was put in place to protect deer from being shot at longer distances there by also making it safer for urban areas. The problem is all the new technology, being rifled slug barrels and rifled muzzle loaders has really put confusion to the law. The smooth bore slug barrel effective range was 125 yards and muzzle loaders were junk. My personal feeling is if we can use rifled slug guns and muzzle loaders, why not just allow rifles.

+1

Fred G

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:20 am 
Limited Edition

TuJays, I know i'm not the first to tell you, but thanks for the job you're doing in this on going testing process. This is one of reasons i like this site so much. You quickly learn to ignore the b.s. that comes around and enjoy the good stuff.

That being said, i have been following these posts intently and i sincerly hope you keep up the testing, as this information gives hope that big green will live again. I know it's still too early to deem a success but it seems Remington is taking a serious step in getting back in the game.

Yea, i still have a Remington around the house, but it does'nt get shot much, in favor of the better enginered spagetti gun. In light of all the recent hardships Remington is going through, this could be a major move in the right direction and i hope the Versa Max is the gun to get this started.

Again, i will continue to follow this topic in hopes that you and others keep posting your results.

Thanks, i'm chillin in Texas.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

chilled shot wrote:
TuJays, I know i'm not the first to tell you, but thanks for the job you're doing in this on going testing process. This is one of reasons i like this site so much. You quickly learn to ignore the b.s. that comes around and enjoy the good stuff.

That being said, i have been following these posts intently and i sincerly hope you keep up the testing, as this information gives hope that big green will live again. I know it's still too early to deem a success but it seems Remington is taking a serious step in getting back in the game.

Yea, i still have a Remington around the house, but it does'nt get shot much, in favor of the better enginered spagetti gun. In light of all the recent hardships Remington is going through, this could be a major move in the right direction and i hope the Versa Max is the gun to get this started.

Again, i will continue to follow this topic in hopes that you and others keep posting your results.

Thanks, i'm chillin in Texas.

Chillin,
I have been shooting the heck out of it with no problems. Since Feb 3rd I have whacked over 100 Snow geese with it under nasty conditions and it has been flawless to the point of boring....I have not posted due to this fact!

Fred G

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:20 am 
Limited Edition

ToJays, that's great to hear on both accounts. I'm glad your torture test is going well with the VM, plus it seems you're doing your part in saving the tundra from the white birds lol.

I got a good feel/fondle of the VM tonight at the local GM, including a take down/ show and tell from (surprise) a knowledgable young man in the gun dept. I liked how it felt and handled, as well as how it looked. Working the action and examining its' guts makes it clear, they finally went a totally different direction with this shooter. I see shades of Beretta/Benelli all over this gun and this is not a bad thing IMHO. I told him about your test and we both agreed this needed to be done in the worst way and that the shooting public would need to hear positive results to gain confidence in Remington shotguns again.

Good luck in your quest to save the tundra and please continue to keep us posted on the VM, good and bad.

Thanks, chilled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Tujays you are doing some great real world abuse on the VersaMax. But your wrong there are a lot idiot hunters up here that shoot houses and Nick people all the time. Guys that were camo when there saposed to be in orange. Its wow up here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Maxus Man73185 wrote:
Tujays you are doing some great real world abuse on the VersaMax. But your wrong there are a lot idiot hunters up here that shoot houses and Nick people all the time. Guys that were camo when there saposed to be in orange. Its wow up here.

Move to Missouri!

Fred G

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Guns & Ammo review the Versa Max...

http://www.gunsandammo.com/article/remi ... x?page=0,0

Fred G

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:23 pm 
Limited Edition

Tujay,
Gander Mountain just received some in recently, went and took a look at the VM. How is your gun still doing?
Don

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 131  Next