It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3804 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 191  Next
 Post subject: Re: Versa Max
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm glad you were able to fix the problem. People without your mechanical ability are going to be very unhappy if a lack of attention to detail is not used in the manufacture of these guns. I handled a Versa Max whose action was so rough the sales person could hardly open the gun's bolt to show the action was clear. Maybe this gun was taken out of the box without the rust preventative being removed but this scenario did not leave a good impression with me. I'm the former owner of a 2009 887 that literally started to fall apart after one week's use.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

pashotgunner wrote:
I'm glad you were able to fix the problem. People without your mechanical ability are going to be very unhappy if a lack of attention to detail is not used in the manufacture of these guns. I handled a Versa Max whose action was so rough the sales person could hardly open the gun's bolt to show the action was clear. Maybe this gun was taken out of the box without the rust preventative being removed but this scenario did not leave a good impression with me. I'm the former owner of a 2009 887 that literally started to fall apart after one week's use.

Was the VersaMax by chance a camo painted gun? The action on mine was and is smooth as silk, they do have a bad a$$ recoil spring but it is smooth and consistent. This gun is really a very simple design...that I like. It is easy to take down, does not have many moving parts, easy to clean and goes back together easy as well. I agree with your "people are going to be unhappy" statement above if little things like this are "NORMAL" with this gun.
I am an engineer, I design build automated manufacturing equipment for a living, hunt waterfowl for fun & food, and abusing guns is one of my many bad habits. I love to find what is wrong and right with them with no preference to brand, make, or model.
Sorry to hear about the 887! I have not had the pleasure of owning or shooting one, YET!

I love liberal math. It's like fiction, but with numbers and stuff.
Fred G

"Progressivism"...new word - It's common but there's no sense in it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It is good to hear that you were able to repair you new gun into a functioning condition. :oops: You may gather I'm not a fan of the latest new Remington offerings.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Neanderthal wrote:
It is good to hear that you were able to repair you new gun into a functioning condition. :oops: You may gather I'm not a fan of the latest new Remington offerings.

Yes, good indeed; thanks! However you being a fan of Remington or not has no bearing or substantialness. Good or bad I am only reporting what I see/find in this firearm, just the facts as best I can describe them.
If you want to bash or have a desire to bash any given brand, make, or model for any reason, please start your own topic and/or please back up your dislike with real, live, personal experiences. This topic is dealing with the Versa Max, not Remington; yes even though they (customer service) by default have been notified of my findings, it is not about them, only the gun.
Have you read this topic from page one, if not I kindly suggest that you should when you have a few minutes.

Fred G

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

TuJays,

It was a camoed Versa Max I was handling. The action on this particular gun wasn't smooth at all. Maybe it wasn't lubed properly before it was put out for examination?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

pashotgunner wrote:
TuJays,

It was a camoed Versa Max I was handling. The action on this particular gun wasn't smooth at all. Maybe it wasn't lubed properly before it was put out for examination?

28" waterfowl or 26"? Unless it was assembled incorrectly at the store where you handled it should not be as you described because of "lube". Can you give me store info and date so i can track it down?

Fred G

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Cabelas in Hamburg, PA it was a 28" barreled gun. That was last week I don't know if it is still there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

pashotgunner wrote:
Cabelas in Hamburg, PA it was a 28" barreled gun. That was last week I don't know if it is still there.

Thanks, I will call them (610-929-7000) tomorrow while on my way to TN, 4 hour drive might as well use it for something useful like shotguns:) I will see if it can be located and get the serial #.

Fred G

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

TN? My wife is from there and her whole family is still there. I may be a CT Yankee but I do love it in TN!!
Where I plan on retiring in another 20 years or so.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

LTB45 wrote:
TN? My wife is from there and her whole family is still there. I may be a CT Yankee but I do love it in TN!!
Where I plan on retiring in another 20 years or so.

make it WEST Tenn and I am only 2 hours away:)

Fred G

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

pashotgunner wrote:

I talked to Cabelas in Hamburg, PA. Fellow there was real nice but very busy. He would not give me the serial # of the gun but i did get the Rem. ID # that will be on the box the gun came in. It is 81048. It is the only waterfowl one they have along with three black 26" versions. If you get by that way soon see if it is still there, if it cycles smooth and if it does not, get me the serial # please. Try the action on the others as well.

Fred G

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

OK everybody, when you have the opportunity to do so, ask to handle a versa max at the retailer, give it a once over and let me know what you think.
Let's see if we can establish some consistent data regarding this gun from all of you and then come to a conclusion.

Fred G

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:33 pm 
Utility Grade

I've shot one several hundred times and hunted doves and rabbits up to ducks and geese with it. You really don't realize how little this gun recoils until you shoot 3 times at a group of ducks with 3.5s and second and third shot acquisition comes very quickly. I've also run 7/8 oz managed recoil through it just to see if it would. I have had 0 malfunctions out of this one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

1100comp wrote:
I've shot one several hundred times and hunted doves and rabbits up to ducks and geese with it. You really don't realize how little this gun recoils until you shoot 3 times at a group of ducks with 3.5s and second and third shot acquisition comes very quickly. I've also run 7/8 oz managed recoil through it just to see if it would. I have had 0 malfunctions out of this one.

Thanks for your report.

Fred G

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:25 am 
Tournament Grade

I am a big browning fan and own remighton 1100 and am a bit of a aka remington basher. But i do believe in stating the facts i had minamal jamming problems with my 1100 in swamp duck hunting. But i have a friend who has a versa max and i have shot about 200 rounds of clay with it. I also shot a volley off 3/1/2 inch mag kent fasteel 1625fps. It shot cycled did everything my maxus does for basically the same price good gun bar non. I commend remington and the versa max

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:17 am 
Tournament Grade

From what I'm reading related to this thread we're back to the intermittent quality control issues with Remington again. I guess with Cerberus/Remington somethings will never change. Some people get trouble free guns and others don't. TuJays if more attention was paid to quality control you would not have had to polish the shell latch in your gun and the gun I handled at Cabelas would have had a smoother action. I've shot Remington guns since the middle 60's so I know Remington is not paying the same attention to detail as was done in the past. Its a real shame as far as I'm concerned.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Let's list what we have so far.

Price compares to other autoloaders with the same or similar attributes.
Self inflected recall for out of spec hammers. Corrective action taken.
Gun is super easy to adjust to fit the shooter.
So far everyone states that it shoots great and cycles everything put in it from light 7/8 ounce loads through 2 1/4 ounce magnums. It even cycles Win. universals.
I have experienced a "unloading" issue that I corrected myself.
Simple design, easy to take down, clean and assemble.
Pashotgunner has handled one that had a "rough" action.
Recoil is very light even with heavy 3.5" magnums and Fiocchi's vicious GPX baby mags.

Fred G

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:27 am 
Tournament Grade

I think the Versa Max design is probably fine it is the lack of attention to detail that seems to be the problem. As I've stated in other posts unrelated to the Versa Max there seems to be a lack of constant QC in Remington's shotgun line. I've been a victim of it 3 times...an 870 Wingmaster,an 870 Express, and an 887.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:52 am 
Presentation Grade

pashotgunner,

Remington builds most of their guns to a price point. They provide millions of satisfied outdoormen with guns that work. That said the VersaMax is not a hand forged, machined, assembled and funtion tested gun. Far as I know they are not CNC machined, I could be wrong here. Lowest bidder parts 'could be' used, again I don't don't for a fact. Don't expect platinum for a lead price. But somehow Remington actually does this. Just look at how many million 1100 and 870's there are out there. And the very low complaints you read on these forums out of all those guns.

Another fact is the VersaMax seems to perform. Asking a shotgun to shoot light 7/8th ounce reduced recoil loads along with 3.5" mags is huge. Once you reload your own shells, then it will sink into your mind on what a feat that really is. The VersaMax will be another special gun from a proven AMERICAN company. Just like the CTi 105 II I have. Some reason the 105 prices are over retail now "if" you can find one. Best darn duck gun on the planet IMO. I'd put mine up again any B gun or any other letter out there.

For your quality control comment about Remington, everything I've read about Remington has been positive. I'm sure there are a few out there that weren't. But the vast majority were. They pick the gun up for free, repair it and send it back for free. Simple fact is Remington stands behind their guns. And the repair times if needed are much lower than most B guns out there.

For the one with the claimed stiff action, do you pick up another VersaMax to compare it with? Remember it's a 3.5" gun with a stiff action spring. Maybe that one needed the factory grease and preservative removed along with being broken in with a 100 or so shells. I'm sure that advice has been put out before. Guess it's easier to blame Remington and without even buying one at that........ Give Remington a break brother.

slomo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:59 am 
Tournament Grade

I'll give Remington a break when I see some consistant quality like I've seem from them in the past. Until then no chance! If you had read my previous posts I stated I've shot Remington shotguns since the middle 60's and since Cerberus bought them ... Remington is not the same. Very sad. Oh just an FYI my defective Remington shotguns had to be sent back at my expense... no free pickup ticket. :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3804 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 191  Next