CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 131  Next
 Post subject: Re: Versa Max
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My question.....is both the barrel and receivers only chambered for 2 3/4 - 3" shells....is only the receiver....or is only the barrel. To put it another way?
Will the short barrel fit other VM's, and if so will it shoot 3 1/2"?
You know that someone is going to try it!

I love liberal math. It's like fiction, but with numbers and stuff.
Fred G

"Progressivism"...new word - It's common but there's no sense in it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:58 am 
Presentation Grade

Yea it probably is just the barrel being that the short barrel is not a normal offering for the hunting model and knowing Remington's ways you can probably swap them in and out. I don't think they would make a whole new gun in 3" just for a tactical version they already had the guns all they needed was a shorter barrel and if making the chamber a 3" saved them a little money they would do it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

Well in a year and a half once they hit the shelves, we'll know.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:31 am 
Utility Grade

Hello to everyone posting on this thread.

I have been lurking here for a while now, but finally decided I would sign up for an account, since I want to get some opinions before I make my decision on whether or not to purchase a versa max.

I have read this thread from front to back a couple times, and the general consensus here seems to be that when people shoot, or buy, a versa max, they are happy with their purchase.

So a little history first. I am relatively new to hunting/shooting, have been shooting now for about 3 years, hunting for 2. My shotgun collection started with an 870 super mag waterfowl model. Used it for about 1 1/2 years, but it had problems cycling 3 1/2" rounds. Decided that I wanted to move to a semi/autoloader, so I sold the 870 and bought a baikal MP-153. It hated light rounds, so I have just recently sold that.

I like Remington products, so my next shotgun is going to be a Remington, either way I end up going.

I have been doing a lot of research into getting a versa max. This specific thread has contributed a lot to me wanting to get one, but there are a few choices that have me second guessing what I want.

First, and most important at this point is the price. $1118.64 (black) or $1286.44 (modb), is a lot to swallow for a gun for me at this point. I am not against making an investment like this, but its a lot more than I have ever paid for a gun. To put it into perspective, my other option (if I don't get a versa max), is to get an 11-87 sportsman and a 7600 in .30-06 (moose gun), for the same price as the black synthetic. I suppose eventually that I will get a 7600 (currently have an older 760 that works, but is old), but the fact that an 11-87 is about 1/2 the price has me wondering, is the versa max worth that much more money? A few of my friends have 11-87's and have nothing but good things to say about them. What are your thoughts/opinions on an 11-87 vs a versa max?

The second is the model that I want. Might be an easy choice for some, but for me it isn't. I don't mind black synthetic guns, I actually kind of like the look of them. But what its coming down to for me is, is the modb camo finish and extended chokes worht an extra $175.00? From my understanding you get a little bit better resistance to wear/corrosion with the camo, but is that the case with the new finish on the black synthetic version of this gun?

Main uses of this gun will be ducks/geese, deer, turkey and going to the range to shoot skeet/trap.

Thanks guys, this thread has been very helpful and a great read so far.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:43 pm 
Field Grade

I have never owned a 11-87, but I do have the Versa Max, and would highly recommend it for what you plan to use it for. Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

The 11-87 is awesome! So awesome I decided to get rid of my other shotguns, then came the VersaMax.....the 11-87 hasn't been out of the closet since :(
I have the black model and really like the finish, easy to take care of and you don't get any of that dam glare like the blued guns. But it isn't as tough as the camo'd guns I have seen.
I have extended chokes from my 11-87 Probore barrel and the flush from the VersaMax, I like the extended better. I think they are worth every penny, but even if you go with the other option you'll have a sweet 11-87 and a .30-06. The best thing you could do is get a chance to shoot both of them and decide from there. If you're in MN your welcome to shoot mine, otherwise Remington is starting the VersaMax tour in a few states, maybe they'll be close by.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

The 11-87 is a work horse if you get an older one my dad gave me his and its from like 90-91 I think and its a solid gun. I would not buy any of the recent production years though my buddie bought one brand new at dickssporting goods and it was broke out of the box would not cycle because the trigger group had so much slop in the reciever from poor machiening.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:09 am 
Utility Grade

Hey, thanks for the offer 1CLYON3!

Unfortunately, I do not see myself in the MN area any time soon- I live in Ontario.

Which also sucks, because I have been looking for gun ranges close to me offering field days with the Versa Max guns.

I think its going to be a Versa Max I will get after reading what you had to say about the 11-87. I have shot the 11-87's that my friends have, and they feel great, but when I was at the store, the VM felt easier to bring to shoulder and felt better in my hands.

As for the .30-06, I will eventually be getting a new one (probably next year), but for now I still have a functioning one (for moose hunt).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:25 am 
Tournament Grade

1CYLON3 wrote:
I don't know what Remington's policy is on this issue now, I read the same thing in the manual, but several articles in magazines (American Rifleman is the one I quoted to Remington) have stated that the VersaMax comes fully adjustable with the combs and shims. If you call them, they will send them to you. I'm not sure if the articles were wrong or they meant to send them and then changed their minds, or just the writers got the adjustable combs to try out....who knows. But the important thing is to call them, the rep. I spoke with said they will honor what the articles state about the combs.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/article ... x-shotgun/

They will not honor this in Canada just incase anyone is wondering. After three e-mails and very fast replies I was put thru to the Canadian importer for Remington and the answer I got was "no sorry none of the guns come with the combs they are an asseccory."

That being said I will add some facts. I got my new Versa Max cleaned it and put 100 rounds of gun club, bird shot and 3" nitro steel thru it without any problems.

Later
Phil

Remington 11-87
Remington Versa Max (traded in)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

Phild101 wrote:
1CYLON3 wrote:
I don't know what Remington's policy is on this issue now, I read the same thing in the manual, but several articles in magazines (American Rifleman is the one I quoted to Remington) have stated that the VersaMax comes fully adjustable with the combs and shims. If you call them, they will send them to you. I'm not sure if the articles were wrong or they meant to send them and then changed their minds, or just the writers got the adjustable combs to try out....who knows. But the important thing is to call them, the rep. I spoke with said they will honor what the articles state about the combs.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/article ... x-shotgun/

They will not honor this in Canada just incase anyone is wondering. After three e-mails and very fast replies I was put thru to the Canadian importer for Remington and the answer I got was "no sorry none of the guns come with the combs they are an asseccory."

Phil

That's not cool.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:48 pm 
Limited Edition

I was hung up on a Benelli Super Vinci til I saw this thread. I lost the entire day today between the gun shop and reading 26 pages on the VM...LOL!
I think I'm sold. Here in Vaughan, Ontario I found a retailer selling for $1265, less 10% plus tax...Totals $1286 out the door!
Thanks for all the info!

12 Kel-tec sub 2000 9mm
11 Rem 11-87 20ga Sportsman Deer/combo
11 Ruger M77/Hawkeye All Weather 243 (For Sale)
11 Benelli Super Vinci
01 Beretta 682E Gold Sporting
94 ruger 10/22 carbine stainless

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

kuffs06 wrote:
I was hung up on a Benelli Super Vinci til I saw this thread. I lost the entire day today between the gun shop and reading 26 pages on the VM...LOL!
I think I'm sold. Here in Vaughan, Ontario I found a retailer selling for $1265, less 10% plus tax...Totals $1286 out the door!
Thanks for all the info!

Your Welcome....happy shooting {hs#

Fred G

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:00 pm 
Limited Edition

Just bought it....can't wait til WednesdAy....gun club for trap! I wish the chokes would have imp, mod, full, x full instead of thr bird references. What's the easiest way to remember what's what? I have the waterfowel camouflage.

12 Kel-tec sub 2000 9mm
11 Benelli Super Vinci

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

kuffs06 wrote:
Just bought it....can't wait til WednesdAy....gun club for trap! I wish the chokes would have imp, mod, full, x full instead of thr bird references. What's the easiest way to remember what's what? I have the waterfowel camouflage.

The constriction is marked on the chokes. Or let me put it this way...how much it has been choked is marked on them in one thousandths of a inch. ..004, .007, .009, and .014.
.004 is the "timber" = skeet to improved cylinder.
.007 is the "over decoys" = improved cylinder to maybe modified.
.009 is the "pass shooting" = modified to maybe full.
.014 is the "turkey/predator" = extra full.
Remember this is a "ProBore barrell with ProBore chokes" and it is not subject to conventional wisdom, heck I don't know if it is subject to any wisdom for that matter :lol:
You will want to shoot them all with the same load at the same distance to get a feel for what they are doing and it will also allow you to check the POI (point of impact) to make certain it is centered to where you are pointing the shotgun on target with each choke.
Let us know what you find.

Fred G

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:51 pm 
Field Grade

My sporting goods store in Hatteras NC finally received there first camo VersaMax. Of coarse after hurricane Irene passes by it might not be there!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:20 pm 
Utility Grade

kuffs06 wrote:
Thanks for all the info!

where abouts did to pick that up i'm just in Peterborough and have been trying to find one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:33 pm 
Utility Grade

TuJays been following your posts for months now this has to be the most informative review of a product i've seen other then the b/s you can read by the manufacturer i hope it keeps working well for you during the fall hunts, i've always had remington shotguns they fit me perfectly and this versa max is the same, your review has renewed some faith in a good product that has taken a beating the last few years. As you see in the above post i've ask kuffs06 where he has got his since he's only a hour or so away from myself.
again great review and happy hunting dirt dog.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Just a reminder on chokes: Any Probore chokes will work, including those for the 1100 Synthetic Competition. Remington has some of those listed in the Country Store for $31, extended stainless. Quite a few tube suppliers are making them now.
Dave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:10 pm 
Limited Edition

Hi guys, I picked it up at LeBaron in Markham. $25 gets u a club membership to 10% off anything in the store. The gun cost me $1286 after tax not including the membership (905-944-0682). I have feeling they're going to sell out soon! LOL!

12 Kel-tec sub 2000 9mm
11 Benelli Super Vinci

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:05 am 
Limited Edition

HI guys, first off I must say I love the gun...I'm heading out to the club on Wednesday for trap and cant wait to see the difference compaired to the 1187.
Question I have to anyone with a Versamax! How is the finish? I noticed mine has areas under the rib and corners were it looks white...as if the camo didn't take! I must say, I'm a little dissappointed!

12 Kel-tec sub 2000 9mm
11 Benelli Super Vinci

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 131  Next