CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 137  Next
 Post subject: Re: Versa Max
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:26 am 
Field Grade

kuffs06 wrote:
I noticed the forearm gets a little loose with a lot of usage. I keep having tighten the cap after 100 rounds or so. I will say it doesn't feel as solid as the 1187 forearm.

I have to retighten the cap on both my 11-87s when in the heat of battle. Course I never crank them down really hard either. Will be adding the VM to my collection in the next month. Just in time for duck season. Thanks for all the posts and updates.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:12 am 
Limited Edition

I tired out mine this weekend at the local SC range, where the Rem Versa Max traveling bus happend to be! The rep said he had shot 13000 rounds through his demo gun without cleaning. he removed the forearm and sure enough it showed alot of residue, but the pistons worked smoothly. He said a tactical/HD model was due out the first of the year in wood, 3", short barrel. they were struggling with how to design the stock to allow drop/cast adjustments...i mentioned the 391...doesn't seem that difficult for Bertta to figure out on wood stocks.

I stripped my gun down and had a hell of a time getting the bolt handle out...He advised using needle nose pliers(wrapped in a washcloth) to lever it out with the barrel off. it worked, but then i couldn''t get it back in! Finally had to file the base of the pin down abit to round off...there is a detent pin within the bolt that must be spring loaded that depresses as the bolt handle slides in. It holds the bolt handle in place. the bolt handle has a indent in it which lines up with the pin. after i flexed the detent pin and filed the bolt handle base to relieve the 90% edge it went in with less effort, but was still stiff. At least the bolt handle shouldn't be flying out in the duck blind!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

1CYLON3 wrote:
StealthyBlagga wrote:
UPDATE: I fired some more rounds through my Versa Max today. This gun continues to be totally reliable with a mixture of birdshot, buckshot and slugs. It needs a lot of modifications to make it 3-gun worthy, but I should have all the parts I need within a week or so.

IMPORTANT: I discovered today that the Versa Max can be "ghost loaded" just like the Benelli M4, the shotgun from which the Versa Max is undoubtedly derived. This means I was able to load the gun with 3+1 shells with the magazine plug installed. I am not a hunter so I don't know whether this puts anyone in violation of game laws, but I guess it could (otherwise, why would Benelli have deleted this feature from the M2?). Just wanted to mention this interesting factoid to help you guys avoid any fish & game regulatory woes.

I mentioned ghost loading it when I realized Remington cheated us out of an extra shell a while back. Another poster said he had a failure to cycle doing this but I haven't had any yet.

I had a failure with my Verasmax when I had a shell ghost loaded but I am not 100% sure that this was the reason. What happened was the firing pin came out of the bolt and jammed the gun up. The firing pin retainer pin was still in the proper position? I can not explain how this happened or why and neither can Remington. They offered to take my gun back and go over it but after a complete strip down and rubuild it has worked great since and I think I have about 500 rounds since then.

Oh and another update...mine has now seen blood. Love taking ducks with this gun and I just had my first tripple with it. Versamax 3 mallards 0.

Later
Phil

Remington 11-87
Remington Versa Max (traded in)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm 
Field Grade

Great article by Jarrod Spilger on the Versa Max in American Waterfowler magazine."It's an ingeniously simple system that will likely leave many wishing they'd thought of it first" great quote!! "Any gun that gets my wife shooting is a keeper in my book"."With all this gun has going for it, I had no choice but to buy it".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:38 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks TuJays for the choke explaination. I am plannng on doing some pattern tests this weekend. I will probably wait to get confirmation from Remington directly on my concern for using steel shot with the Turkey choke.

Free Tip tip to everyone ... make sure your middle sight beade is tight. Mine came loose and fell off somewhere during the first week of use. One call and a week later to get a new one mailed. Now all is good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am closing in on a thousand trouble free rounds through the versamax (950 through the gun). I did order the medium height comb from Remington and it made a huge difference for me. After learning to shoot left handed and low gun over the last 4 years I ran my first straight ever in skeet with it last weekend. The more I shoot it, the more I like it.

Just a heads up for anyone needing additional choke tubes, CDNN has factory probore extended chokes for $9.99 each.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:31 pm 
Field Grade

Remington has the probore extended tubes on sale for $10 for full, and $6 for Imp Cyl and mod.
Look under cti105 parts on the Remington site

Last edited by dhunter777 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

Had a good morning today with mine, two Canada's and four huge Mallards. One thing I know I have to practice shooting form a lay down blind. Today was my first day shooting form one and did I do poorly. 20 shells and 6 birds.

Later
Phil

Remington 11-87

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:20 pm 
Field Grade

At least your hunting! I have some friends on there way up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just took delivery of a Versa Max, camo waterfowl 28" barrel. Have not had much an opportunity to play with it yet, but will probably raise the stock and would like to shorten the length of pull. Has anyone removed any of the stock as I would prefer a 13 1/2" LOP. If this season turns into the season that I think is possible, I will give this gun a pretty good workout. I will be taking the gun completely apart to clean it and plan on using Break Free to lube everything on reassembly. Side note: I have a friend that is a gun designer for Remington and had asked him about the Versa Max. He told me that Remington had purchased the design from a couple of Italian gun designers and that the Versa Max had been the most trouble free gun that Remington had ever introduced. I am looking forward to the light recoil, low maintenance and good handling. I will try and report back here on my experiences. Thanks for all of the information assembled here.

Rod

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:56 pm 
Field Grade

OK gents. I got the magazine extension tube and pistol grip stock on my Versa Max.

The magazine extension came from Nordic Components. It was originally made to fit the 1100/11-87/870; the threads are the correct size/pitch, but are too long (leaving an internal gap between the factory tube and the extension tube that caused feeding problems). Also, the nut was too fat to fit inside the VM forend. Rather than grind off the front of the forend (it looks too flimsy) I had a friend with a lathe shorten and slim the nut to eliminate both problems. Adding a +3/4" extension, I now enjoy a 10+1 ammo capacity.

The pistol grip stock is a Benelli part designed for their tactical guns. It is very close to a straight drop-in fit. I needed to remove a little material around the trigger guard area, plus I needed a longer stock bolt (1/4"-28 bolt 1.25" long). Otherwise, it looks like it is going to work very well.

The big task for this weekend is to weld up the fork at the front end of the shell carrier. Am I the only person in the world who's Versa Max bites his thumb after loading each shell?

Here is the gun so far:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:21 am 
Tournament Grade

Wow that looks bad a$$ and here I was just gona let guys know I will be heading out at 6AM to take some birds with mine. I will see if I can get some pics to compete.

Later
Phil

Remington 11-87

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:41 pm 
Field Grade

Went out for the Mo. early goose season, and thought I had my first malfunction. two geese came in and I dropped mine on the first shot,swung over to the second and pulled the trigger and nothing!!!!! Looked at the gun and there was a willow twig sticking out of the loading port. It some how got wedged between the shell and the chamber. Not the gun's fault.
Buddy got the goose on his 3rd shot, at the same time as I tried to pull the trigger, so I wasn't upset that it didn't shoot. He had already shot twice before my gun didn't shoot just would have put more holes in a dead bird.
The Versa Max will not fire with a 1/4 dia. willow jammed in the action. We were in layout blinds on a 6-7 foot high bank and when we took them they were back peddling a foot off the water, so I was shooting down, must have had the gun above the willow and lowered the gun right over it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well bad news on my Versa Max when I first got the gun I had the firing pin retainer pin some how back out and let the firing pin fall back into the gun causing it to jam. Well today after firing 7 heavy metal 3 1/2, 1 1/2 BB the damn retainer pin backed out again. This time it did not fall completely out but backed out enough that when the action cycled the bolt jammed open with the pin jammed into the housing (body) of the gun. It even left a mark and upon further inspection it looks like it has been backing out and rubbing when the action cycles. I chalked this up to possibly improper assembly from the factory and after I broke it all down and rebuilt it I put 400 or so more rounds thru it thinking it was fine until today when I was pulling on a flock of geese. My Versa max will be going back and I will be requesting replacement of all the parts in question. Bolt assembly and case for sure. I will try to get some pics up later anyone have any thoughts?

Later
Phil

Remington 11-87

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well slid the bolt out again and there is defiantly wear on the retainer pin from coming unseated. How I have no idea??? I have some pics because they are worth a thousand words so maybe someone can look at them and have an answer.

Remington 11-87

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:23 am 
Presentation Grade

The rubber retaining ring isn't seated correctly, I think it will want to pull it's self out in that position. when I first got mine it looked like yours does in the picture, (and just because I was paranoid about it) before I first shot it I pressed the o-ring in between the bolt and pin so it wouldn't have any "pull" or "roll", just even pressure. Sorry to hear about that, I would think Remington would do what your asking for. Maybe try to push it in and give it a try again and see if that theory is correct, that way when you get your new one you'll know.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:34 am 
Tournament Grade

Cylon, I see your point but that oring worked its self out to that point again. It was reassembled and seated but for some reason it backed out twice now? I am not sure why it is backing out and cna not see any reason for is to. The first time was with a light load trap shell and the second time it was with a heavy 3 1/2? So there is nothing consistant in what is making it back out. I think I will replace the oring and shoot some more. I am just a little ticked that the case is scored. I will be contacting Remington today but I hate to give my gun up at this point in time I am right in the middle of prime duck and goose hunting here in Alberta.

Later
Phil

Remington 11-87

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:53 am 
Field Grade

Location: Central NY, Foothills of the Adirondacks (51st State of the Union)
Went out Saturday for opening day of ducks with my trusty lab and trusty Versa Max. Both dog and gun performed flawlessly. My friend's Beretta jamed and didn't always cycle. Another test of the Versa Max successful!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

Now that is the coolest stand/blind I have seen. How deep is that water? Anyway I changed out the o-ring today and I noticed a slight bend in the retainer pin I bet from when it cycled and jammed. After speaking to the people at Remington Canada they want the gun to come in for inspection and possibly a complete return/new gun. I was also told to keep shooting the gun as is and send it in after hunting season because the repair time will be too long and I will not get my gun back anytime soon due to no parts for the Versa Max here in Canada. I wonder if they could just send me a new retainer pin for now or even Remington USA?

Later
Phil

Remington 11-87

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:47 am 
Presentation Grade

I would think it would be pretty easy to straighten that pin out, either in a vise or a light tap with a hammer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 137  Next