Shotgun Forum banner

Remington 58 barrel

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Skeet_Man 
#1 ·
Is it true that a Remington 870 20 gauge barrel is the same as a Remington 58 20 gauge barrel with the exception of two gas ports? If so, does it matter if the 870 barrel is LW or standard weight? If an 870 barrel was available, who drills the holes for use on a 58?

texasbilly@verizon.net

#5 ·
papillonkirby said:
It is the standard WT 870 that is like the 58 except the gas ports not the LW.
This with a SLIGHT exception. The 58 barrels were all 2 piece, the locking lug cutout section was screwed onto the barrel. Some of the early 870 barrels are like this as well, most will be one piece. Doesn't really make a difference, just mention it for educational purposes.

texasbilly said:
Does anyone know the specifications for drilling the gas ports? Location? Diameter of the holes? Angle of the holes?
You will need an existing barrel to take measurements off of, I'm not aware of any specs out there unless someone takes them off a barrel they already have. It really should be done in a jig, certainly not freehand. It could probably be done in a mill, but even that would be tricky at best. Dave Snoap in MI has the jig, and advertises the service on ebay, i think its about 50 bucks.

#8 ·
I have seen the ports both ways actually. One friend's 20 had one port on the bottom and another's had them split like an 1100. First friend's Dad's 12 gauge had them split and that made us curious so we checked the other one. I had forgotten that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.