It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 1100 and Rio 1oz 8's
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

During the 24,000 + run, the gun didn't get ANY meticulous care or cleaning; none. It hardly seems that it needed any to keep going.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:29 am 
Tournament Grade

casonet wrote:
During the 24,000 + run, the gun didn't get ANY meticulous care or cleaning; none. It hardly seems that it needed any to keep going.

I am very glad to hear it and am sure there are a lot of 1100's out there that did the same thing. All I can tell you is that my observations are accurate - a LOT of jams during sporting clays events and while I've never owned one, my brother has and has had two that gave him trouble. No one's personal experience with their 1100 can change what I've observed. There are many good ones, but there are also a lot that give owners problems.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would love to pull the forearm off a "problem" gun and look at the gas system. A clean 1100 works. Parts can break, but some people have never had their trigger assembly out. Ever! Owners are the 1100s enemy sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Neanderthal wrote:
I would love to pull the forearm off a "problem" gun and look at the gas system. A clean 1100 works. Parts can break, but some people have never had their trigger assembly out. Ever! Owners are the 1100s enemy sometimes.

While this may be true, wouldn't you expect that Beretta auto's in the general public would be similarly neglected and would experience a similar "jamming" rate? While my data are purely empirical, I can tell you again that for every Beretta I saw jam there were 10-15 Remingtons jam.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Over the years since 1963 there have probably been 10-15 (or more) 1100s sold for every Beretta semi auto. Considering the numbers, not a valid comparison. I own both guns: several 1100s and Beretta 303s which are arguably the best semi autos that Beretta ever made. Neither design is jam proof. But based on my experience, I would not say one is more reliable than the other.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I went Sporting shooting with two friends. One had a Browning Gold and the other a Beretta 390. Both were jamming by station 7. We stepped aside and I pulled both down to reveal they were both thoroughly lubricated with what appeared to be tar. Borrowed some WD-40 and a dirty rag from a maintenance worker and cleaned them up enough that they finished the round with no more stoppages. My 1100 never missed a beat, having missed the tar treatment.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Virginian wrote:
I went Sporting shooting with two friends. One had a Browning Gold and the other a Beretta 390. Both were jamming by station 7. We stepped aside and I pulled both down to reveal they were both thoroughly lubricated with what appeared to be tar. Borrowed some WD-40 and a dirty rag from a maintenance worker and cleaned them up enough that they finished the round with no more stoppages. My 1100 never missed a beat, having missed the tar treatment.

I've seen $15,000 shotguns break down, but it's rare. I've seen just about every model of shotgun have an occasional hiccup. My son bought a brand new Browning Gold that had a flaw in the barrel pin and it jammed right out of the box. Bobby Fowler, the current European Cup and Texas State sporting clays champion started his career with Browning Golds and had to keep several of them on hand as shooting 2000+ rounds per week kept them under repair. My statement about Remington 1100's, in general, being the most trouble by jamming is based on watching tens of thousands of rounds of sporting clays over 17 years of pulling at tournaments. I'm not saying they are bad guns and I wouldn't argue that proper maintenance would reduce the frequency. Having said that, I will stick to my conclusion that if I had to depend on an automatic shotgun to run trouble free for a long time as a sporting clays gun, it wouldn't be the Remington 1100, regardless of what one gun did to set a record.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You are entitled to your opinion. And I am entitled to not give it much credence.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Anecdotal observations are exactly that: anecdotal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:36 am 
Crown Grade

In the end, there is only anecdotal evidence. I doubt that one could do a computer simulation of a particular gun and determine "this gun will jam" or "this gun won't jam" because there are too many other factors in play, such as ammo quality.

If Remington 1100's were as prone to jamming as one poster says, countless users would have experienced the problem the word would be out--avoid this gun.

Obviously, that isn't the case.

Too many people have used 1100's without problems to buy into the notion that there's something wrong with the design, because it's completely contrary to their own anecdotal experience.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:44 am 
Tournament Grade

casonet wrote:
Anecdotal observations are exactly that: anecdotal.

So very true.

I would add to this exchange that for every 1100 I saw jam during a tournament, I'd suspect there were twenty others that did not. I would also expect that the vast majority of the 1100's that I saw jam did so because their owners did not properly maintain them. The comment above about so many of them being sold is, indeed, a testimony to their quality. If all of them jammed, they wouldn't have sold 1000 of them!

All of this is accepted, but does not change my empirical observations. How many of you have seen 1000+ of these guns function in the hands of their owners? I'll wager not many. I have and I saw what I saw, anecdotal or not.

Look, this is "Love My Remington" forum. I'm tickled that you guys "love your 1100's". That is great. I "love my" 870 Wingmasters too. That is a truly trouble free gun! Ricky Pope was one of the best skeet shooters of all time. His chosen gun was an 1100 (at least early in his career). It can't be all bad!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:26 pm 
Field Grade

I've been shooting Remington 1100's since the early 70's. A couple of bird guns, (quail, doves, snipe, woodcock and ducks & geese.) I also currently have a complete set, (12, 20, 28, & .410), of the Remington Premier Sporting I shoot clays with. I've hunted and shot clays with friends that have all of the "B-Guns", Browning's, Beretta's, and Benelli's. Guess what, I've seen them all mis fire and some wouldn't fire at all when they broke. Not going to tell you I've shot the 1100's and never had an issue but the Remington's are as reliable as any out there. Just keep them clean, maintained, and they'll keep you happy! The "Crap" that you hear about other Autos never mis-firing or never having any other issues are the ones that stay in a gun safe or a closet and are never shot and or never shot under extreme conditions. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:26 am 
Tournament Grade

The "Crap" that you hear about other Autos never mis-firing or never having any other issues are the ones that stay in a gun safe or a closet and are never shot and or never shot under extreme conditions. :D

Very true again. Relative to every other shotgun mechanism, the autoloader is the most prone to problems regardless of make or model.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:36 am 
Tournament Grade

casonet wrote:
Over the years since 1963 there have probably been 10-15 (or more) 1100s sold for every Beretta semi auto. Considering the numbers, not a valid comparison. I own both guns: several 1100s and Beretta 303s which are arguably the best semi autos that Beretta ever made. Neither design is jam proof. But based on my experience, I would not say one is more reliable than the other.

We agree on the Beretta 303 - what a shotgun! And there's no doubt (even though anecdotal) than Remington has sold way more 1100 and 1187's over the years than Beretta has sold their autoloader line. Your experience is interesting.

I pulled in the Texas State sporting clays championship earlier this month. I pulled the Super Sporting and PSCA Junior qualifiers on Thursday and Friday and the 200 bird main on Saturday and Sunday. That was 32 hours of watching different shotgunners do their thing up close and personal. During this time, I did not see a single Remington 1100 that I recall. I probably saw 50 Berettas and a handful of Benellis. The game, as expected at this level, was dominated by O/U's of all makes/models.

Honestly, I was surprised at this. They are popular shotguns as we've all agreed. Why, I wonder, were there none used in this event? I expect maybe they are more prevalent in the world of skeet shooting, but at least around here, you don't see too many unless it's during charity or corporate events where there are a lot of them.

Post subject: 1100 and Rio 1oz 8's
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We are way off topic, so I will end with this. The 1100s were the darlings of the skeet shooting crowd back in the 1970s and 1980s. You saw a lot of them at events. Since that time many and newer designs have appeared, most with alloy receivers and excellent gas actions. Gun weight seems to be a huge factor even though shooters add weights to their guns for various reasons. The 1100s with Remchokes have become even heavier. O/U guns seem to have soared in popularity at the expense of everything else. When was the last time that you saw a pump at a registered event? In the 1950s they were everywhere. So, new and different pushes ahead. I will continue to shoot my four gun set of 1100 Tournament Grade Skeet guns in all four Skeet bores and I will enjoy every minute of it. At least I won't need to add weights here and there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:10 am 
Crown Grade

the45er wrote:
I expect maybe they are more prevalent in the world of skeet shooting, but at least around here, you don't see too many unless it's during charity or corporate events where there are a lot of them.
Competitive (NSSA) skeet is dominated by over/unders as well. Their utter reliability and durability, which far exceeds that of any semi auto ever made, is also the reason they dominate in NSCA sporting clays.

Additionally, with a set of subgauge tubes, you only need one O/U to shoot all four skeet gauges.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:14 am 
Crown Grade

the45er wrote:
Virginian wrote:
An 1100 is the perfect example of "a semi auto's worst enemy is the nut on the back of the stock". Properly cleaned, lubricated, and maintained they are as reliable as any gun made.

Any gun sold to the mass public that needs such meticulous care and cleaning to keep running smoothly is destined for problems.

1100s don't need meticulous care. They don't even need to be clean to function properly and reliably.

As long as the OD of the magazine tube is kept lubricated, the gun will run non-stop.

Just to prove to myself what I already knew from years of competing with AR-15s, I ran my 1100 Trap (that I use for SC) without cleaning, but with occasional lubrication for 1000 rounds without a single malfunction.

I stopped at 1000 because I couldn't stand the sight of the mess inside, not because the gun couldn't take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:16 am 
Crown Grade

And to bring this back around, I've shot flat after flat of Rio 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz target loads through mine without a single issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

casonet wrote:
We are way off topic, so I will end with this. The 1100s were the darlings of the skeet shooting crowd back in the 1970s and 1980s. You saw a lot of them at events. Since that time many and newer designs have appeared, most with alloy receivers and excellent gas actions. Gun weight seems to be a huge factor even though shooters add weights to their guns for various reasons. The 1100s with Remchokes have become even heavier. O/U guns seem to have soared in popularity at the expense of everything else. When was the last time that you saw a pump at a registered event? In the 1950s they were everywhere. So, new and different pushes ahead. I will continue to shoot my four gun set of 1100 Tournament Grade Skeet guns in all four Skeet bores and I will enjoy every minute of it. At least I won't need to add weights here and there.

I as well will continue to shoot my 4 gun set for all clay games, including my matched pair 28 .410.

I love liberal math. It's like fiction, but with numbers and stuff.
Fred G

"Progressivism"...new word - It's common but there's no sense in it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:46 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a 1100 classic trap (currently has 28" barrel off a sporting) and a 1187 premier trap both will cycle 7/8 oz federal top gun with no issues. I tear down and clean the gas system every 500 rounds and trigger group every 1000 rounds. never had an issue with either gun. the last time I cleaned it I used Otis dry lube for the gas system to see how it goes, it has about 1 flat through it now with no problem.