It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1100 firing pin strikes primer twice
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I recently acquired an 1100 in .410 cal. the barrel is labeled 3" only, and after I shot two rounds of skeet with it, I noticed most of the primers received a double strike on them and all were off center. The gun fired and sound like everything was as it should be. I even got a few birds with it.

What could cause this? I didn't disassemble the bolt during cleaning but everything else looked fine. It is an early model either late 60's or early 70's. I tried searching but didn't have very much luck with this issue.

Thank you in advance for any input on this.

Post subject: Re: 1100 firing pin strikes primer twice
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

HHP123 wrote:
I recently acquired an 1100 in .410 cal. the barrel is labeled 3" only, and after I shot two rounds of skeet with it, I noticed most of the primers received a double strike on them and all were off center. The gun fired and sound like everything was as it should be. I even got a few birds with it.

What could cause this? I didn't disassemble the bolt during cleaning but everything else looked fine. It is an early model either late 60's or early 70's. I tried searching but didn't have very much luck with this issue.

Thank you in advance for any input on this.

One of the indentions is probably due to the setback of the cartridge upon ignition. Also, somehow the cartridge must be turning (rotating) at the same time or else the second indention would be in the same place as the first one. Might be due to excessive head space.

The first thing I'd do is a thorough disassembly of the bolt to check for anything broken or foreign objects. Then clean everything good and reassemble.

BTW, a good picture or two of a couple of these primers that were "hit twice" would help a lot.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Strange one. You do not need to take the bolt apart to see if the firing pin spring is okay, not that I can see how that could do it either. To get a rough estimate on headspace get a dummy round and stick a dowel down the bore and see if you get any set back.
Frankly I don't see how this is happening. Even if the headspace is off there is only one hammer fall until the action cycles, and I don't see why even that would cause the shell to rotate. Recoil with a .410 shouldn't be enough to do much. An infinitesimally small chance it's a worn bolt AND a broken firing in spring AND a sticky firing pin channel, but then you don't say it's firing when the bolt slams home.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I haven't been able to do a photo insert/post with any success. But thanks for the feedback; and I will be doing a close and critical inspection of the bolt, head clearance, and chamber.

The gun is old, but in nice shape and no real signs of wear for having been used by skeet shooter.

P.S. I'll continue to wrestle with Photobucket and get that done!

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Try loading 2 shells, fire the first one, and remove the second one and inspect the primer. Good chance it will have a small dimple in it. If it does, then the spring around the firing pin may be weak or broken. And I notice you said the barrel says 3 inch only and you are firing 2 1/2 shells in it. Might be a problem in doing that.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Albany gun,
I did another takedown of the gun and it checked out fine including the bolt and firing pin. Just gave it a wipe and drop of lubricant on the spring.

I haven't used 2 1/2" shells, wish I could though, another member gave me a link to another group he is on and that idea was down other shooter's experiences.

I did find from a sticky on this forum that the action spring should be 15" unencumbered, replaced if down to 14 1/2", and my gun spring is only 14 3/8".
I understand too, from another posting that the letter "R" preceding the serial number makes my gun a 1997 model. I thought it was much older, guess not. Anyway, I will order a new action spring.

I was shooting Fiocchi 3" 1 1/16 oz. #9 1450 fps. labeled "high velocity". I guess if the spring is weak it could make the bolt bounce back and come forward again?

I also noticed slight burrs around the perimeter of the head. The chamber seems good to me, even with a magnifying glass. An empty shell sits evenly across it, so I surmise that any slop must be coming from the bolt side of the action.

Regardless, I enjoy this stuff, shooting skeet, and growing older, that is so will stay with it!

Thanks again,

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

HHP123 wrote:

I was shooting Fiocchi 3" 1 1/16 oz. #9 1450 fps. labeled "high velocity". I guess if the spring is weak it could make the bolt bounce back and come forward again?

And this is a .410 chambered gun????? Something is wrong here. That's a heavier load than many 12 gauge gunners use.

No, the bolt is not going to bounce back and come forward again.

You need to take this gun to someone who knows a bit more about guns and loads than you do to help diagnose the problem. That person shouldn't be too hard to find.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Ulysses wrote:
HHP123 wrote:

And this is a .410 chambered gun????? Something is wrong here. That's a heavier load than many 12 gauge gunners use.

You need to take this gun to someone who knows a bit more about guns and loads than you do to help diagnose the problem. That person shouldn't be too hard to find.

The only thing that is wrong is the spacing of his typing. 11/16 ounce is the standard 3" .410 load.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Update on my double striking .410. I replaced the action spring, no change, the firing pin spring, no change, and lastly the firing pin with a successful result.

However, it still does impact the primer off center, but so be it. I compared the old and new firing pins and the only discernible difference was 0.0005" less in the diameter of the old pin. The hole in the bolt is 0.0015" larger than the new pin as best as I can determine.

The gun does shoot just fine now. I did go ahead and shoot 2 1/2" AA target loads through it, and it works great. Yes, the barrel does state .410 Bore 3" only" but I didn't experience any issues. Can a longer forcing cone be a problem?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They all strike a bit off center.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

So your 1100 firing pin was "striking the primer twice" and you fixed the problem by installing a new firing pin? :? :?

Pardon me for being a skeptic, but somehow I just have serious doubts that your description of the problem was very accurate. If it was accurate, then I can't see how installing a new firing pin would make any difference in the situation. In my opinion, there is just some information missing that we may never know.

I'm very glad that your gun is working well now. Thanks for keeping us informed of what you did to the gun and what the results were. Enjoy your 1100! {hs#