It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1100 410 questions
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:10 am 
Field Grade

Yesterday I was in the local gun store and I saw one of the coolest looking shotguns I've ever seen. It was a new 1100 in 410. I was fascinated by it. I've heard of them before and seen posts on them, but have never seen one in person. The store was busy And I was short on time, so I didn't bother the guy to pull it out of the glass case it was in. It looked very light and I'm guessing that there is hardly any recoil. Now here's my questions. I know this gun is scaled down and uses pretty much it's own sized parts. Does that make it hard to find parts for? Also since the price was still pretty high, if anyone has one on here, what do you use it for? What's a good reason to have one other than the super coolness factor? Since it seems so light, would it be a good rabbit gun? I've heard that the .410 is an experts gun for clays so since I pretty much still suck at that, I think I'd maybe be just fooling myself. So anyone who has any experience with this gun or any other 410 please let me hear what you think. Thanks.

P.S. They also had a pretty cool looking matching wingmaster in 410 next to it as well.

Post subject: Re: 1100 410 questions
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They were very popular back 30-40 years ago for Skeet. I shot mine yesterday at Skeet and had a lot of fun. You are correct; almost no recoil. Now the downside; they are a little picky about ammunition. If you shoot factory new stuff, then you should never have a problem. Reloaded ammo must have a good radius at the crown to feed properly. If you want to collect your empty hulls, get ready to look for them because the gun may eject them as far as 20 feet away. It's a very fun gun to shoot and own and they really seem to hold their value.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:01 pm 
Field Grade

Awesome. That's good to hear. I would be shooting mostly reloads for a while if I were to buy it.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Parts are no problem. They have been around for 48 years and are still in production.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Model 1100 .410-bores are far from "light weight." As originally introduced the Model 1100 12-, 16- and 20-gauges were built on the same size frame. When the small bore frame was introduced the 28-gauges and .410-bores were built on it. A few years later Remington introduced a 20-gauge on the small bore frame. They seemed to have reliability problems, but Remington continued on and a few years later dropped the 20-gauges built on the regular frame making them immediately in great demand by NSSA Skeet shooters.

At the price of good .410-bore and 28-gauge ammunition today I can't imagine having an autoloader throwing those oh so valuable hulls for reloading all over the place!!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My Tournament Skeet model has a steel weight attached to the magazine cap making the gun a two shot capacity and increases the weight to that of a 12 gauge. No, it certainly isn't a light weight, but that heft is appreciated on the skeet field.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:32 pm 
Crown Grade

I agree with most of the comments made above. With good quality ammunition (AA, STS) or well put together reloads they will cycle reliably, although some may need a little tweeting. I have used one for skeet since 1974 and currently shoot a .410 Sporting for doves, preserve quail, and pigeons over decoys, among other things. There are various opinions about chokes, loads, effective ranges and so forth but I find mine to be very effective and a bunch of fun to shoot.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

casonet wrote:
get ready to look for them because the gun may eject them as far as 20 feet away.

After owning an 1100 in 28ga the Chuck-a-matic I bought a 870 Wingmaster in 410. Didn't feel like chasing those little hulls.

Post subject: 1100 410 questions
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have thousands of both .410 and 28 ga Winchester compression formed hulls that were collected years ago and have been reloaded to the point that they are at the end of their useful life. These are what I shoot in the 1100s. If I lose a few, no big deal.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:13 pm 
Field Grade

The fun factor was one of the main reasons this gun peaked my interest. Not to mention the thought of almost no recoil.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

T&S sells a shell catcher that works with the 28 and .410 1100. If you use it for singles, you'll only have 8 hulls hit the ground.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:39 pm 
Field Grade

I have a Remington 1100 Premier Sporting I use strictly for Sporting Clays. Like most of the others have mentioned they are finicky about ammo. Probably the two best factory shells are AA's and Rem. STS's. They are a blast to shoot and that 1/2 oz. 2 1/2" shell will surprise you believe me and as well as the 3" shells as well. A lot of folks dove and quail hunt with them and I can see them being quite affective as a bird gun. But really have to pay attention to cleaning them correctly and keeping them clean.

If you decide to purchase one you won't regret it for sure. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I love mine and it's matching 28 gauge as well
Great on upland fowl

I love liberal math. It's like fiction, but with numbers and stuff.
Fred G

"Progressivism"...new word - It's common but there's no sense in it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:18 am 
Presentation Grade

I have a .410 1100 Sporting as well. Way too much fun to shoot. Ran into an ejection situation earlier this year. It was my fault from improper cleaning....the gas port was full of crud! The correct sized drill bit and a pipe cleaner solved the problem.

As stated above, if you purchase one, you will never look back.