It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old guns rule
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:03 pm 
Field Grade

I took my Remington Sportsman 12-gauge to the range today. My primary interest was seeing what pattern the full choked shotgun delivered. I also had my new pump 12-gauge with which I was going to shoot some 5-stand. I'm still getting my feet under me and this was my 5th round. I was also trying out an improved-modified choke in the gun. My result was a 12/25, not bad for a newbie but I'd shot better, 19/25, with a 20-gauge of the same brand and model. I went back to the car and switched to the Sportsman, shooting a 22 on my 6th try. Old guns (and to perhaps a lesser extent old guys) rule!

Michael

Post subject: Re: Old guns rule
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:13 am 
Presentation Grade

I have old and new............It's just about gun fit.

12GA v. 20GA in the same gun, all about fit again, got rid of my 12GA Browing BPS, swung like a 2x4, love my 20GA BPS, altogether different fit and feel.

"a man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:37 am 
Crown Grade

Full choke on a typical 5-stand is somewhat tight; most are easily shot with IC, LM, or M, so don't get discouraged with your 12/25. Just means you really have to be pointing in the right spot!

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Don't expect to shoot 22/25 every time now. I figure you'll settle into the 15 - 17/25 range.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Sounds like you are shooting very well, but watch out,
this is addicting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:28 pm 
Crown Grade

5-stand is the most humbling clays game to me. There's what I think is a pretty challenging course where I shoot and it'll ruin a good run of skeet or sporting clays. Maybe I should shoot 5-stand first instead of last...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:52 pm 
Field Grade

5-Stand is a lot of fun. But it is very humbling as well, depending on the target setter :wink: But good luck on your new found obsession :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:40 pm 
Field Grade

longislandloco wrote:
I have old and new............It's just about gun fit.

12GA v. 20GA in the same gun, all about fit again, got rid of my 12GA Browing BPS, swung like a 2x4, love my 20GA BPS, altogether different fit and feel.

I have to agree. I tried the 12-gauge pump again with my own reloads and with some Winchester AA target loads shooting 18 for 25 both sets.