Shotgun Forum banner

Remington V3

28K views 146 replies 58 participants last post by  fblainen11 
#1 ·
Hey there guys.... looking at maybe getting myself a V3 as was wondering what the thoughts of anyone that may have one are?

Thanks in Advance

#7 ·
The Drake said:
The powder spitting in your face is a well documented issue. Mine did it as did my buddies.
Unfortunately, the "Drake" couldn't be more wrong. Nothing ever gets documented by fake names or rumor. Apparently. the Drake still has no clue.

There is no single issue with the walnut V3 I have ever heard of. Who has?

As for the V3 synthetic, what "the Drake" didn't bother to tell you is that he originally had no issues for months, then "finally" decided he had one, and Remington actually gave him his full purchase price back. God can't please some people.

The Remington Lifetime warranty is better than just good, it is the best in the industry. With countless tens of thousands of V3's in regular use, the reason you don't hear much about problems is that they are very rare and the few that there have been, Remington has very quickly remedied.

#8 ·
Are you looking for anything specific or just in general? The major Remington V3 thread has a lot of info. I am not sure what else you are comparing it to but I have a V3 Walnut and am enjoying it. I use it primarily for sporting clays and it works great for that purpose. I tried both the 26in and 28in and found the 28in muzzle heavy and preferred the 26in version. I have not had issues with gas to the face or anything like that. That being said, the walnut version has a an unvented gasblock and designed slightly different. Not sure if that even has an effect in that. Its also very soft shooting compared to my buddy's Benelli M2 that I was previously shooting on the regular.
I have shot nitro 27s,sts,fed gold medal, Rio, fed top gun, and AA through it and has 1 failure to completely eject with the Fed Top Gun. That being said, I didn't initially clean it from when I got it and it comes shipped with A LOT of lube in the receiver that could have slowed things down. The stoppage doesn't bother me. I think I should have cleaned it.

I will admit to a couple minor annoyances. I do not like the design of the forend nut (a la versamax style). It sometimes comes loose and results in the forearm to wiggle. My forearm does not wiggle when it is tightened all the way down but sometimes it comes loose by even just 1 click and I have to retighten. I am not sure what to do about this as it is just annoying and the forearm wiggle drives me crazy when shooting. I was thinking about Teflon tape but haven't tried it yet. Tujays(RIP) came up with a solution on the versamax thread but I haven't tried that yet.

My mid bead also fell out and my shooting partner found it on the ground so I still have it. That being said, I shoot considerably better without it. I have zero use for it and it's kinda a blessing in disguise.

Also, the walnut version is slightly heavier than the synthetic by a quarter pound. You have to decide what is important to you. I really like the walnut version. That being said, I do wish they made the 26inch synthetic in blades camo as I like that camo better than the mossy oak that is in 26 inch. Depending on what you want your new shotgun for, it could be a great gun for you.

#10 ·
I purchased a v3 synthetic w/28 inch barrel. I have had no malfunctions, or gas blow back problems. I use it for sporting clays, hunting, and recently wobble trap. Great gun. Would buy another. Maybe a 26 inch walnut stock in the future. I would like to see a 20 gauge offering

#11 ·
I have a camo synthetic V3 with 28" barrel. If I had a do-over, I'd go with a 26" barrel I think. The gun is more muzzle heavy than other shotguns I have and 26" might do the trick. Guns super reliable and shoots soft. Good factory recoil pad. No springs in the buttstock to worry about or clean. Trigger and safety feel about right out of the box, not overly stiff or tight. Forend is little on the blocky side up close to the receiver, more normal further out.

#21 ·
A recent Google search turned up something interesting....a $100 rebate coming up in August. Pair that with the gunbroker prices and this becomes a deal not many of us can pass up. $399 for this gun drops it to Turkish gun prices with a lifetime warranty. Looks like I'll have a new gun during dove season :)

#22 ·
RandyWakeman said:
The Remington Lifetime warranty is better than just good, it is the best in the industry.
Much has been made over Remington's new warranty. While it is certainly an improvement, I think some time will have to pass before it can be called 'the best in the industry.' If they are still offering/standing behind it in a decade or more, that will be one thing, but remember, companies like Henry Repeating Arms having been doing this for much longer than Big R. Henry has a well-established reputation for lifetime support & customer service; I'm not saying Remington can't get to that level, and maintain it, but I don't think they can own up to this claim just yet.
Time will tell, and there do seem to be many more positive reports regarding Remington products of late, so that is a promising sign {hs# :B3

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

#23 ·
NH Squirrelhunter said:
Much has been made over Remington's new warranty. While it is certainly an improvement, I think some time will have to pass before it can be called 'the best in the industry.'
Hardly-- it is the best in the industry quite easily in the repeating shotgun category. No one else does it: Browning has no warranty, neither does Weatherby, and so it goes. It is written down so there is no confusion. No one else comes close in the pump / autoloading shotgun department.

#24 ·
RandyWakeman said:
NH Squirrelhunter said:
Much has been made over Remington's new warranty. While it is certainly an improvement, I think some time will have to pass before it can be called 'the best in the industry.'
Hardly-- it is the best in the industry quite easily in the repeating shotgun category. No one else does it: Browning has no warranty, neither does Weatherby, and so it goes. It is written down so there is no confusion. No one else comes close in the pump / autoloading shotgun department.
Well, yes, I suppose if you ammended 'best in the industry' to 'best currently offered in the pump & semi-auto shotgun genre' that would be quite true :mrgreen: But I believe you can see my point... {hs#

Speaking of the V3, since it is the primary topic of this thead, have you shot this gun left-shouldered or know of anyone who has? I'm curious as to how comfortable (or not) it might be for the LH - or in this case, right handed but left eye dominant - shooter.

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

P.S. In addition to those you listed, Big R's new policy handily trumps Ithaca's. Despite the supposed quality & corresponding price tags of its guns, I was shocked to see Ithaca offers a decidedly non-premium warranty: http://ithacagun.com/warranty.php

#25 ·
NH Squirrelhunter said:
Speaking of the V3, since it is the primary topic of this thead, have you shot this gun left-shouldered or know of anyone who has? I'm curious as to how comfortable (or not) it might be for the LH - or in this case, right handed but left eye dominant - shooter.

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~
Yes, but since I'm "bats rights, throws right" my thoughts on that are of limited value. Several LH shooters (say, Phil @ F&S) shoot right hand eject autos a lot. Other LH shooters want a true LH model, whether Fabarm / Benelli, etc.

If you have no problem with neutral cast, you'll probably do okay with the V3 synthetic. If you have no problem with a RH 870 Wingmaster, there isn't much difference with the V3. The walnut V3 has a subtle RH palm swell . . . some LH shooters object to that.

Like anything else, you'll have to try it yourself.

#26 ·
RandyWakeman said:
NH Squirrelhunter said:

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~
Yes, but since I'm "bats rights, throws right" my thoughts on that are of limited value. Several LH shooters (say, Phil @ F&S) shoot right hand eject autos a lot. Other LH shooters want a true LH model, whether Fabarm / Benelli, etc.

If you have no problem with neutral cast, you'll probably do okay with the V3 synthetic. If you have no problem with a RH 870 Wingmaster, there isn't much difference with the V3.
The walnut V3 has a subtle RH palm swell . . . some LH shooters object to that.
Like anything else, you'll have to try it yourself.
Fair enough - thanks Randy...I watched your YouTube video on this topic as well {hs# :B3 I suppose the old saw about 'you won't know till you try it' is indeed applicable here...too bad theren't any places around here where one try out such things prior to purchasing. Then again, I haven't even seen a V3 for sale anywhere local yet...

I am used to, and comfortable with, running actions from the right side - particularly when it comes to loading, unloading, clearing malfunctions, etc. Perhaps I've been lucky, but most shotguns I have picked up have fit me reasonably well. Regardless of action type, I very much prefer having a reversible or ambidextrous safety.

I'd heard of the blowback issues with the V3, and was curious if those might be worse when shooting off the left shoulder...

If that $100 rebate comes to fruition, that should certainly help sell a few extra V3s... :B3

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.