It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 11-87 questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:07 am 
Field Grade

Got a pretty good deal on a couple of 11-87s, both are 12 ga. which have seen much use. I got these guns primarily for hunting, so I just want them to WORK.

1 - first is a 28", synthetic, sportsman that does not lock open after the last hull is ejected. What would cause this?

2 - second is a 26", wood, "Special Purpose" that feels like a tank. Haven't shot it yet but the bore looks like a mirror. I am perplexed because the serial # on the receiver begins with the letter P, followed by a C. The Remington dating chart I have seen indicates this was manufactured in June (P) of 1982 (C). How can this be, since as I understand it, the 11-87 came out in 1987 ???

Perplexed

Post subject: Re: 11-87 questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You're reading the serial number as a barrel date code. Model 11-87 Serial Number prefix 'PC' was 1987 until present as of about 2012.
On the first one, does it lock back every time when you pull the bolt back manually, first time every time ? If so, you likely need slightly stronger shells, or stick an oversized O ring in front of the piston to block gasses from the relief ports with lighter loads - remove it with heavier loads. If it doesn't lock back manually you very likely need a new carrier latch.

Post subject: Re: 11-87 questions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:30 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks Virginian. Come to think of it, I put a brand new action spring in the Sportsman. Maybe that's why it won't lock open. The spring might be too strong for the WalMart Federal shells.