It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Changing out shotgun's butt stock effects?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:24 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello,

I have a Remington Model 870 Express Pump Shotgun 12 Gauge. I was wondering if switching the butt stock to a shorter one would effect the gun or the recoil.

Any tips would be appreciated I am new to the shotgun world.
Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Changing out shotgun's butt stock effects?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:27 pm 
Crown Grade

The gun will work fine and it will recoil ever so slightly more due the ever so lighter stock.

However, if the shorter stock makes the gun not fit you right, the recoil is going to feel a lot worse than it did.

How much a gun recoils is a matter of simple physics: mass x velocity

How nasty that recoil feels to you is more complicated and very subjective.

One more thing: why do you want to shorten the stock? I'm 5' 9" and the Express' standard stock is too short for me. I've had one for 16 years now and I can't imagine it with a shorter stock.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:27 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the respond. Your answer was an eye opener I didn't think it would increase the recoil. Much appreciated

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Retro_12_Gauge wrote:
Thanks for the respond. Your answer was an eye opener I didn't think it would increase the recoil. Much appreciated

Any weight you take off the gun increases recoil. Any weight you add to the gun reduces recoil. Recoil is the momentum and energy transmitted by the gun to you.

You could weigh the chunk that you remove from the stock and insert the same mass of lead or steel into the stock bolt's hole and null it out.

HOWEVER, even if the weight and actual recoil remain the same, shortening the stock will change how the gun fits you and how it moves against you. That could make the recoil FEEL more pleasant or more unpleasant. Only one way to find out.......

Does that make sense?