It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shells for my model 11
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

This fall I plan on useing my model 11 Sportsman for pheasants, it's a 12 ga. I have had it fitted for steel choke tubes and want to find some ammunition for it. Lead or steel. I've totally refinished it.

I want to leave the spring set for heavy loads to avoid the cracking problems I've heard about, is that a reasonable precaution ? I've only hunted with this gun once, I've shot trap with it useing 1.125 number 7s and it cycles those reasonably well. Maybe one failure to eject in 50 shots. It belonged to my father-in-law, who hardly ever used it.

Would this shell be suitable ?

Remington Ammunition NEHV125 Express XLR 12 ga 2.75" 1-1/8 oz 5 Shot 1450 fps

It's a lead shell which I can use on my own property.

Anyone have a steel recommendation ?

Any other tips on useing this old girl ?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Shells for my model 11
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

McFarmer,

I do not have the reference material on the Sportsman models to review, however the earliest Model 11's were designed to shoot only up to 3.25 Drams of Powder (1220 fps) and 1.25 ounces of shot.

Only the tamest lead pheasant load meets these specs and almost none of the steel loads will get you to an equivalent recoil energy let alone much higher pressures.

Some of the non-toxic alternatives for double guns may be easier on your gun, however they are pricey.

Will

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks for that, it's a 1947 model if that makes any difference.

Ammo cost isn't that big a deal, it will go through maybe a dozen shells.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:06 am 
Crown Grade

:arrow: I'm assuming this is about a Remington m11? (Browning design/ Remington's version of a auto 5) :?:
:idea: If so.check this out!
Remington owners manual for M11 shotgun....................http://stevespages.com/pdf/remington_11.pdf

Hope this helps a bit? :B3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:08 am 
Presentation Grade

wb wrote:
:arrow: I'm assuming this is about a Remington m11? (Browning design/ Remington's version of a auto 5) :?:
:idea: If so.check this out!
Remington owners manual for M11 shotgun....................http://stevespages.com/pdf/remington_11.pdf

Hope this helps a bit? :B3

Yes it is, thanks for that manual.

I couldn't find anything regarding what loads to use. They always talk about settings for "heavy" and "light" but I've never had anyone give me exact numbers for those.

Last edited by McFarmer on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:07 am 
Crown Grade

It's not an exact science, your gun's springs and friction pieces are unique to your gun. But anything over 1 1/8 oz sounds like a heavy load to me. I think a Model 11, with all of that steel, is as strong or stronger than any gun out there. What I'd do is set up the gun for heavy loads with a completely dry magazine tube and test fire whatever shells I want to use. Then add a few drops of oil if it jams.