It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20 ga. Model 31 questions?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:37 am 
Tournament Grade

I recently decided to enjoy my grandfathers (1897-1996) model 31. I took to the range last week to shoot for the first time in 4 decades. It worked well at skeet, ok for doubles and as expected not really a trap gun. I would like to restore/ improve this gun to make it more useable. The gun was manufactured in 6/1949 from the markings on the barrel. I plan to fit it with a recoil pad (micro cell ultra light) as even with 3/4 oz. loads 100 rounds was enough. What I'm hoping to find from the experts here is what was the original LOP? As it sits now it has a 14" LOP to the solid factory pad (Remington), seems short. Also the butt, both plate and end of the stock "crescent" shaped, is this original? Lastly there is a hole in the end of the barrel where the original bead used live, can anyone tell what issue bead was? I have a Bradley style bead as well an all brass bead, just not sure what was there originally. Any information or advise would be appreciated. It's a nice old gun I'd like to show a little respect, might even take out for walk this fall.
GS

Post subject: Re: 20 ga. Model 31 questions?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:18 am 
Presentation Grade

You may want to take a look at Remington Society of America on line, some good info there on the old Remington's.

"a man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:33 pm 
Field Grade

My 1948 Shooters Bible lists the LOP for the standard Model 31A as 14" with a bakelite butt plate. Nothing mentioned about a crescent shape at the end of the stock and in the picture in the book it appears the same shape as most other shotguns.

My 16ga Model 31 (from the late 1930s) has a 14" LOP. The butt plate is slightly concave, but not what I would call a crescent shape. It has a simple brass bead on the front for a sight.

And yes, show that gun some respect, it's probably earned it! Model 31s were fine old shotguns and the fact that this one was your grandfather's should make it priceless to you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:39 pm 
Crown Grade

If recoil from a hundred 3/4 ounce 20-gauge shells was an issue, I'm thinking this must be a lightweight Model 31LA with the aeromet receiver? I have such a gun, but it was cut down for a child or a small woman, 12 3/4 inch over a 1 inch Pachmayr pad. I'd love to find a full length original stock for my gun.

If it is a lightweight version with the aeromet receiver, it is great to carry long distances hunting and firing very little, but not for high volume shooting at clay targets. Actually that is the case for all smallbore Model 31s. The Model 31s proclivity to break the tip off the action bar in high volume shooting isn't too big an issue in 12-gauges, as Gunparts Corp. has new manufactured ones, but finding one for a smallbore is quite the task. There was a reason Remington put the twin-action bars on the Model 870!! The Model 31L Aeromet receivers are well known for cracking, a second reason to not use them for regular high volume shooting.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Model 31s!!

Last edited by Researcher01 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:42 pm 
Crown Grade

14" was pretty much the standard on a lot of older guns. I have a Remington Model 17 and it has a 14" LOP. So do my older Ithaca Model 37s.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:07 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for all the information. I was aware that the 31 L had a reputation for cracking and have been shooting 3/4 loads in the 8,500 psi range to help mitigate this. I certainly don't want break the action bar so I might use it more sparingly than planned. The 14" LOP is a bit short even for me (5'7") so I'm going to fit a pad, but of courses keep all the original hardware. I may have miss discribed the shape of the butt stock, slightly concaved is more accurate. I have a thread brasss bead for the front sight, unfortunately the hole in my gun is not threaded. I guess I'll try to find the correct tap or order a press fit one. Thanks all for helping with my project. I hope to use it this fall then hold it in reserve for one of the grand kids.
GS