It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Versa Max or V3
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:29 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm going to buy one of them. It will be mainly a waterfowl gun with a little sporting clays thrown in. I will not shoot the 3 1/2 inch shells. Checking on price I can get a V3 for 7-800 while Versa Max is still going 1-1200 Is the Versa Max that much better just because it can handle the 3 1/2 Thanks

Post subject: Re: Versa Max or V3
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Chimneyman wrote:
I'm going to buy one of them. It will be mainly a waterfowl gun with a little sporting clays thrown in. I will not shoot the 3 1/2 inch shells. Checking on price I can get a V3 for 7-800 while Versa Max is still going 1-1200 Is the Versa Max that much better just because it can handle the 3 1/2 Thanks

NO, there is not a better or worse here at all in my opinion.
To me it is personal preference thing along with intended usage for each individual. In your case I would recommend that you get the V3, but only you can make that decision.
The VM is the perfect heavy use high volume waterfowl gun while the V3 will be a perfect waterfowl shotgun along with being better suited for clay games and upland game in my opinion.

I love liberal math. It's like fiction, but with numbers and stuff.
Fred G

"Progressivism"...new word - It's common but there's no sense in it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:45 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Chimneyman wrote:
I will not shoot the 3 1/2 inch shells.

As close to a no-brainer as there is: the V3 wins on every level.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:08 am 
Presentation Grade

JMHO, no 3 1/2's…………the V3.

"a man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just asked myself the same question on Saturday morning. I went and picked up a Versa Max. But, only because I want to shoot 3.5". In your case get the V3 and let us know what you think. But, I will say this. I'm not a fan of shooting 3.5" shells. But, out of the VM it isn't as bad as I figured it would be. Saturday I shot 25 3.5", 25 3" and 100 1.75" shells at clays. It really wasn't bad at all. I felt fine afterward and didn't have a bruise lol.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

Many things to consider its very very far from a no brainer.

VM has the rubber inlays that are nice. Larger safety. All adjustments for cast and length. Hi Viz site's. Different choke system and VM camo has extended chokes. VM has different camo patterns. VM has the ability to float the 4th shell. VM has accessories like upgraded carrier, larger bolt release button, tactical bolt handle..........I am sure there are other things too but just cant think of them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:28 am 
Tournament Grade

The Drake wrote:

VM has the rubber inlays that are nice. Larger safety. All adjustments for cast and length. Hi Viz site's. Different choke system and VM camo has extended chokes. VM has different camo patterns. VM has the ability to float the 4th shell. VM has accessories like upgraded carrier, larger bolt release button, tactical bolt handle..........I am sure there are other things too but just cant think of them.

Well I don't see it that way. The Versa max was Remington's response to the Benelli Super Black Eagle, Remington wanted in on the waterfowl gun market.

Other than the Versa max being chambered 3 1/2" ( if that's a plus or not ? ) I don't see the advantage.

VM is heavier than the V3, don't point or swing as nice as the V3, NO action spring in the stock, mag cut off, Rem Choke ( get them anywhere for cheap )

as far as a hiviz sight goes, ( now there's a deal breaker when buying a shotgun..lol ) you can buy them at Wally World for like $10 bucks

Your better off shooting 2 3/4" hevi shot #13, or fed. HW, than any 3 1/2" steel load that came down the pike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

43x wrote:
The Drake wrote:

Well I don't see it that way. The Versa max was Remington's response to the Benelli Super Black Eagle, Remington wanted in on the waterfowl gun market.

Other than the Versa max being chambered 3 1/2" ( if that's a plus or not ? ) I don't see the advantage.

VM is heavier than the V3, don't point or swing as nice as the V3, NO action spring in the stock, mag cut off, Rem Choke ( get them anywhere for cheap )

as far as a hiviz sight goes, ( now there's a deal breaker when buying a shotgun..lol ) you can buy them at Wally World for like $10 bucks

Your better off shooting 2 3/4" hevi shot #13, or fed. HW, than any 3 1/2" steel load that came down the pike

Of all the differences you pick the Hi Viz site.........WOW !!!!

These are vastly different guns. Again look at the list.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:19 am 
Tournament Grade

I for one love my Versa Max camo 26"bl. the older I have gotten (I HATE RECOIL!). the 26" for me swings fast and easy. working my ranch and throwing 125 lbs. bales of hay to cows. I have never thought the Versa Max was that heavy. I have never shot 3.5 shells. I have always bought 3.5" guns for the weight , to cut the dam recoil down. for me the Versa Max is my kind of gun. I can shoot it hot and heavy and never have a sore shoulder. just finished my third season. this gun has been perfect.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:03 am 
Presentation Grade

gary s. wrote:
I for one love my Versa Max camo 26"bl. the older I have gotten (I HATE RECOIL!). the 26" for me swings fast and easy. working my ranch and throwing 125 lbs. bales of hay to cows. I have never thought the Versa Max was that heavy. I have never shot 3.5 shells. I have always bought 3.5" guns for the weight , to cut the dam recoil down. for me the Versa Max is my kind of gun. I can shoot it hot and heavy and never have a sore shoulder. just finished my third season. this gun has been perfect.

Well said. I've never shot a 3.5" shell either and love how light the Versamax is on my shoulder

13 Savage Bmag 17wsm (for sale)
13 Remington XCR2 270
12 Kel-tec sub 2000 9mm

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

so Chimneyman, what did you buy?

13 Remington XCR2 270
12 Kel-tec sub 2000 9mm

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:35 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought the Versa Max Owned it for a month then sold it. First time I took it out 3 or 4 times it would eject the first shell then fail to load the second. Cleaned it good that night tried it next day with different shells it did the same thing. Called Remington sent it to Paducah guns ???? got it back 3 weeks later very first time I tried it it failed to load the second shell again I then sold it. I know there are lemons in everything and not giving up on new Remingtons but my 1100 works just fine with everything but Win Universal Still kinda interested in the Wood V 3 when it comes out

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

Wow that's disappointing! Mine has been absolutely flawless! So sorry to hear that. I would have asked them to replace it.

13 Remington XCR2 270
12 Kel-tec sub 2000 9mm

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

3 years and my Versamax has never jammed(did break an extractor shooting 3.5" the 3rd year)......2 months on the V3 and so far so good.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:16 pm 
Utility Grade

I started to go through the process of trying to get Remington to replace it but I sold it for 50.00 less than I paid [yes I told him and let him shoot it ) so it wasn't worth the hassle

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

It's not for the money, it was to gi the versa max a fair shot.
What about you Drake, you have both. Would you pick one over the other or are you glad you have both?

13 Remington XCR2 270
12 Kel-tec sub 2000 9mm

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Chimneyman wrote:
I started to go through the process of trying to get Remington to replace it but I sold it for 50.00 less than I paid [yes I told him and let him shoot it ) so it wasn't worth the hassle

I could have fixed it in 5 minutes or less {hs#

I love liberal math. It's like fiction, but with numbers and stuff.
Fred G

"Progressivism"...new word - It's common but there's no sense in it.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:09 am 
Crown Grade

kuffs06 wrote:

He gave his VM a fair shot. He gave Remington a chance to repair it, and it still came back with the same defect.

He did the only intelligent thing: sell it down the road.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:09 am 
Tournament Grade

kuffs06 wrote:
What about you Drake, you have both. Would you pick one over the other or are you glad you have both?

Going to have to put it through a year of waterfowl hunting to answer that.......

As of right now the only thing I wish the V3 had that the Versamax has is the rubber inlays......the V3 cycles smoother and much faster, loading into the magazine is is much nicer, choke system is better, balance is very nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:28 pm 
Field Grade

TuJays wrote:
Chimneyman wrote:

I could have fixed it in 5 minutes or less {hs#

Please tell me how? I have 2 Versa Max's and they will both do it some times only with 3.5 shells. The second shell will just lay in the shell carrier, if you just bump the gun or tap the shell carrier it will load it just fine? Remington sent a new trigger assembly and it does it also. Never happens if shooting 3in.