Shotgun Forum banner

V3 vs 1100 sporting

20K views 88 replies 18 participants last post by  StanofKansas 
#1 ·
I was looking at maybe picking up a new semi. I like the looks of the 1100 sporting. But I was curious if the v3 would be worth looking at. I already have the 1100 competition which I do like. The sporting would be nice since It has the looks I like and I am familiar with the system. But it's an older system. Or go with a v3 which is a newer model, which is some what an unknown to me.

#3 ·
from_the_plaines said:
But I was curious if the v3 would be worth looking at. I already have the 1100 competition which I do like. The sporting would be nice since It has the looks I like and I am familiar with the system. But it's an older system. Or go with a v3 which is a newer model, which is some what an unknown to me.
You might want to wait and see if the V3 Premier appears.

#5 ·
RandyWakeman said:
from_the_plaines said:
But I was curious if the v3 would be worth looking at. I already have the 1100 competition which I do like. The sporting would be nice since It has the looks I like and I am familiar with the system. But it's an older system. Or go with a v3 which is a newer model, which is some what an unknown to me.
You might want to wait and see if the V3 Premier appears.
I really really hope they release something like that.

#6 ·
Tidefanatic said:
Makes one wonder if the Fall won`t see an expansion of the V3 line(?). Sure hope so.
Are you going to buy one, or do you just want to see one? :s

The question is (that no one can answer) is what exactly will the economy and the American way of of life look like in August and September? Are schools going to be open across the country?

It is clear that people do not always buy what they claim they want. In fact, they very rarely do . . . whether it is a cell phone, a car, or a shotgun. Already, the original V3 synthetic Field Sport has developed into walnut, Compact, Pro Waterfowl, Pro Turkey, TAC-13, Tactical, and Competition Tactical models.

They have already make up some V3 Premier samples: polished blue barrel, outstanding walnut. Sure, I want one - -- but personally, I want a 20 gauge more.

#7 ·
RandyWakeman said:
Tidefanatic said:
Makes one wonder if the Fall won`t see an expansion of the V3 line(?). Sure hope so.
Are you going to buy one, or do you just want to see one? :s

The question is (that no one can answer) is what exactly will the economy and the American way of of life look like in August and September? Are schools going to be open across the country?

It is clear that people do not always buy what they claim they want. In fact, they very rarely do . . . whether it is a cell phone, a car, or a shotgun. Already, the original V3 synthetic Field Sport has developed into walnut, Compact, Pro Waterfowl, Pro Turkey, TAC-13, Tactical, and Competition Tactical models.

They have already make up some V3 Premier samples: polished blue barrel, outstanding walnut. Sure, I want one - -- but personally, I want a 20 gauge more.
Well, to answer your question Randy, I`d like to see one first. Buying usually comes after that, if it`s to occur.

#8 ·
That wasn't the main question. The question is (that no one can answer) is what exactly will the economy and the American way of of life look like in August and September? Are schools going to be open across the country?

The typical American shotgun-buyer is cheap. Really cheap. It isn't a matter of just seeing something, of course we want it to be right down the street at are local gun shop. Then, of course, the price is too high . . . whatever the price is, it is too high. So, after beating up the local gun shop and wasting their time, it is off to Grab-a-Gun, Bud's or "the best place to buy the gun." The best place means the cheapest place, of course. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Whether it is Remington or anyone, they are forced to make stuff that people actually buy. That ain't pretty.

#9 ·
RandyWakeman said:
That wasn't the main question. The question is (that no one can answer) is what exactly will the economy and the American way of of life look like in August and September? Are schools going to be open across the country?

The typical American shotgun-buyer is cheap. Really cheap. It isn't a matter of just seeing something, of course we want it to be right down the street at are local gun shop. Then, of course, the price is too high . . . whatever the price is, it is too high. So, after beating up the local gun shop and wasting their time, it is off to Grab-a-Gun, Bud's or "the best place to buy the gun." The best place means the cheapest place, of course. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Whether it is Remington or anyone, they are forced to make stuff that people actually buy. That ain't pretty.
Rant over?

#10 ·
S.Davis said in part, "It's one of maybe 3 really handsome semi-autos ever produced, and they are quite clearly more solidly crafted than a V3." He was saying that about the Model 1100.

I have a long history with the 1100. Not as extensive as Virginian but not a small amount either. I am not sure that the V3 won't prove to be just as "solidly crafted," long lived and maybe more reliable than the 1100. If a target version arrives then we will be able to tell after some extensive usage and time.

Due to the far simpler gas system design, I am going to put my money on the V3 if and when a target version appears. However, I don't think I will survive long enough to see that comparison to its conclusion.

#11 ·
The only local gun store less than and hour away with any kind of selection is wally world. All of the bigger places have the gun racks 8-10' behind the counter you can't read the price or description unless a clerk is free. if they are busy forget it. and unless they have a sale going on it's "msrp" all the way. All I need to do is run into one "expert" know it all and I'm out the door. Jaquas in Findlay Ohio is the one exception but they are more that three hours away.
For this old geezer the internet is the best gun shop there is..... rant over. Sorry.
Back on topic , I think the V-3 is a winner It was recommended by many members here. I really like Mine.

#12 ·
.45colt said:
The only local gun store less than and hour away with any kind of selection is wally world. All of the bigger places have the gun racks 8-10' behind the counter you can't read the price or description unless a clerk is free. if they are busy forget it. and unless they have a sale going on it's "msrp" all the way. All I need to do is run into one "expert" know it all and I'm out the door. Jaquas in Findlay Ohio is the one exception but they are more that three hours away.
For this old geezer the internet is the best gun shop there is..... rant over. Sorry.
Back on topic , I think the V-3 is a winner It was recommended by many members here. I really like Mine.
I do too, but IMO, the 1100 is a proven high bar to reach. Not one of the all time classics for nothing. I won`t be on the planet long enough for the V3 to be in production long enough to match it!

#14 ·
Virginian said:
I do not like the feel of aluminum receivers so it is no contest for me.
True! There is nothing that sounds as solid, durable and long lasting as the sound of the bolt slamming closed in the receiver of an old Browning Auto 5. That sound to include a slight ringing cannot be duplicated with any other alloy.

#17 ·
S.davis said:
The steel receiver is a big part of the reason an 1100 at least feels or seems more well crafted to me. I'm willing to accept that the V3 is better engineered. It certainly ought to be, since its been 50 years between the 2 designs, and for as ugly as a V3 is, it should be functional.

That said, there is no way Remington comes out with a steel receiver V3. I'm not a millwright, but it seems like it would require all new tooling? My guess is longer barrel, prettier wood (although I think they already have wood that would pass for premier on many other current production shotguns), polished finish, hopefully some silly refinements like a metal trigger guard, extended bolt handle (though I'm not really a fan of that), grip cap maybe.

As long as it's not some goofy green receiver or porting or something really dumb, I suspect I'll be happy, but I doubt I'll get my beloved white line spacers.
I bet if you could source the white plastic, you could make a life time supply of white line spacers. {hs# :lol:

#18 ·
S.davis said:
I wish I was that much of a craftsman. Regrettably, I've never had the hands, eyes or patience for anything more refined than the crudest demolition work.
Again, if you can get the plastic in the white thickness that you would need; I bet someone could produce your spacers. You could then put them on the V3 or any other gun that you want so adorned.

#22 ·
I didn't say all Breda shotgun receivers were made from steel rather they are available from current production if you so desire. My 870's, 1100'S & Auto-5's & SX1 are steel receivers. The Benelli(s), Beretta(s), Franchi(s), 1300(s), SX3, M37(s) & Versamax residing in the safe(s) are alloy.

I like all of them.

#25 ·
S.davis said:
The steel receiver is a big part of the reason an 1100 at least feels or seems more well crafted to me. I'm willing to accept that the V3 is better engineered. It certainly ought to be, since its been 50 years between the 2 designs, and for as ugly as a V3 is, it should be functional.

That said, there is no way Remington comes out with a steel receiver V3. I'm not a millwright, but it seems like it would require all new tooling? My guess is longer barrel, prettier wood (although I think they already have wood that would pass for premier on many other current production shotguns), polished finish, hopefully some silly refinements like a metal trigger guard, extended bolt handle (though I'm not really a fan of that), grip cap maybe.

As long as it's not some goofy green receiver or porting or something really dumb, I suspect I'll be happy, but I doubt I'll get my beloved white line spacers.
Just put some additional weight into the stock of the V3, you can achieve even less perceived recoil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.