It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: re: How to clean the Rem 1100 - Complete Description With Ph
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:47 am 
Utility Grade

Hi, I'm new around here, but threads like this will keep me coming back. thanks, all, for the info!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

very good, i would like two take me rem wingmaster 870 apart but afraid it wont go back two good.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:31 pm 
Field Grade

Willian Wood,

Thank you for that terrific posting! This is what forums are all about. DR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:14 am 
Diamond Grade

How is the Mag spring and spring retainer removed? I remove the follower, but haven't removed the spring system yet.
Thanks in advance! Nice job on the pics.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:01 am 
Presentation Grade

I just bought my first 1100. I came to this forum to ask how to take care of the gun. Wow, I found this post right off. Excellent! Thank you for taking the time to put together such a thoughful and complete explaination. You have saved me tons of time and trouble.

Mark

NSSA Member #167754

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:56 am 

I wanted to post a thank-you to Mr. Wood also. I finally broke down and tried the drill trick on the bore last night. That was almost better than ***. Seriously. Good stuff.

Kill 'em all

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for this informative thread. I refer to it often as well as refer people to it often.

Last edited by Smoky on Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:04 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks wood for the excellent posts. I am a total noob when it comes to shotguns, and your post had me disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled without any major problems. The drill bit thing for the gas ports was a real eye-opener. even after blasting gunscrubber through them, I still pushed gunk out of there with the drill bit. simply awesome. I am using a boresnake with my barrel cleaning though. Still do the drill bit before and after snaking. With more posts like this, I think this type of website is a shooter's best friend.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:07 am 
Tournament Grade

One of the best solvents that I have used to get the plastic (and powder) crud loose is Kroil. Just spray it on and let it work for about 5 min. The penetrating ability of this stuff is amazing. Plastic crud from choke tubes will come off MUCH easier than anything else that I have used. Be sure to put a couple drops of CLP on the tube threads and you won't have any future seizing problems.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mr. William Wood,

I, too, would like to add my voice to the chorus of "thank yous." I am not what anybody would call "mechanically inclined," but by carefully following your instructions I was able to completely strip down my 11-87, clean and lube it, and reassemble it. The even more amazing thing is that after doing this it actually worked!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

DMB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:18 am 
Utility Grade

Excellent post on cleaning the Remington. In my "other life" as a gunsmith I worked on lots of Remingtons, mostly cleanings and repairs from neglect. The "dirty" gas system is the weak link in this gun. Mr. Wood's post suggests using a light oil lube on the magazine tube which does make cleaning residue easier - providing the magazine tube/gas system is cleaned after each use. If it is neglected the combination of lube and fouling creates a baked on mess which I have seen build up to the point that the piston and seal actually broke when the gun tried to cycle. On that particular gun the foreend split as well.

It is also a good idea to check the feed latch to make sure it is still well staked in place.

Over time the link wears and sharpens the receiver rails from the friction that takes place. Take care wiping these receiver rails. Some are as sharp as a knife and will cut just as quickly.

To alleviate this wear problem, I always polished the area on the link where it contacts the rail and put a dab of grease on each rail. Once these rails are worn out, unless the factory can repair them, your receiver is no good.

Again, a great post and excellent followup comments!

Teach a kid to shoot and take him hunting.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:58 am 
Tournament Grade

Great advice Papa D and I even repeated it in my "1100 Longevity" tips post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:47 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks. I went to your post for the Remington 1100 longevity tips. Great information! Learned a few things myself! This is a great forum isn't it? Thanks for your postings!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:58 pm 
Field Grade

Great write up..........

Just got my first 1100 (used one) the other day and had never had a semi auto apart before. I printed this post and followed it word for word and everything went great.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:17 pm 
Utility Grade

Bill, thank you very much for all your work putting this cleaning and maintenance routine together.
Just purchased a 1972 1100 took it out to shoot sporting clays.

When I got home I took her down and removing the trigger group the feed latch fell out of the receiver.
It is a heck of a job to try and install the trigger group while holding this latch in place.
Went back to the shop where I purcahsed it and they will have to restake it in place.

One other item they I'm going to try is 100% silicone on tube.
Since it drys with a lube left behind, maybe it will help the next time cleaning this area.

I'm a retired aircraft experimental machinist and found areas of very sharp edges from parts moving againsit each other and stoned these areas to break the edge.
I was told by the repair shop not to take down the trigger group (lots of little parts going flying) and as per usual warned about over lube, another reason I think this silicone may work.
The product I've used for years is KEL 110 pure silicone in aerosol can.

Ben.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:24 pm 
Utility Grade

Mr. Wood, thank you for the great help, I have a used but new to me 1100.
Your article was the best I've seen by far.

What I'd like to do is be able to burn it to a disc and then have a friend print it out for me so that I may have close at hand when cleaning.
Any suggestions on how to burn it to a disc?
Thank you,
Ben.

Post subject: Re: How to clean the Rem 1100 - Complete Description With Ph
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:10 am 
Utility Grade

William R Wood wrote:
7) Remove the link that fits into the action spring tube from inside the receiver. You can take this part out with your fingers or needle nose pliers or big tweezers (I use a hemostat).

Excellent posts, with great pictures, but I have one question: in #7 where is "the link that fits into the action spring tube from inside the receiver"? I've looked for it, and have referenced Brownell's exploded views but I am stumped.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:02 am 
Utility Grade

To Ben Berg--just copy and past the text into MicrosoftWord or WordPerfect, save it in your documents file, then burn it the way you would burn any other disc. A great free program that's easier (for me at least) is Burn4Free, found here:
http://www.burn4free.com/
You can also copy the photos to your documents and add them to the disc if you would like.

Post subject: Re: How to clean the Rem 1100 - Complete Description With Ph
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Blazin wrote:
Excellent posts, with great pictures, but I have one question: in #7 where is "the link that fits into the action spring tube from inside the receiver"? I've looked for it, and have referenced Brownell's exploded views but I am stumped.

Hey, Blazin. Make sure you are taking out the bolt assembly and the trigger group. You should then see the link resting at the back of the rails toward the butt end of the receiver. The best way to describe the link is that it looks like a long pair of curved tweezers, with the griping end squeezed together and inserted in the end of the action spring tube. The other end, the flat end that rides on the back of the bolt, can be gripped and pulled straight forward (assuming the bolt assembly and trigger group have been removed). You will then have removed the link from the spring, and can gently twist it around a bit to dislodge it and pull it out. Being as I am somewhat mechanically challenged, I was stumped on this part of the assembly/reassembly at first, too. But Mr. William Wood's pictures are quite good and if you stare at them long enough I think it will become obvious.

Oh yes, when you put it (i.e., the link) back in you will need something like a pair of needle nose pliers to squeeze the ends together that go into the action spring tube. Also, make sure that it is put in the correct way with the curved portion bending up toward the top of the receiver (I tried to put mine in upside down a time or two in the past :oops: ).

Hope this helps. I'm sure you can do it.

DMB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:03 pm 
Limited Edition

Wow. This is one of the most helpful posts I have encountered on this site. I just bought a 11-87, my first semi auto, and was dreading stripping it down, and figuring it out step by step, and possibly screwing up and having to spend all my time fixing it. This step by step process was great. I completely cleaned it in about 30 minutes. Im sure I can get it faster as time goes on.

Remington should put this in their manuals.

Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next