It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: re: How to clean the Rem 1100 - Complete Description With Ph
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:50 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

An incredibly thorough and complete description for cleaning an 1100! Thank you!

One thing I would add - If you're going to use any kind of compressed air, be it from a compressor or canned air - PLEASE USE EYE PROTECTION. Compressed air does a great job of getting crud out of hard-to-reach places, but that also means the crud has to go somewhere else. You don't want that "somewhere else" to be your eyes.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you took better care of it maybe the finish wouldn't be worn off the receiver ! And that piston and gas seal are the wrong parts !
Seriously, a great article for anyone not completely familiar with an 1100, or in fact any autoloader. I just did all that for 2 used 1100s I just bought, so it struck home. I would second the call one poster put out for Kroil. Truly amazing stuff if you have never used it. Soak old rusty bolts with it and they come apart a day later. Takes out wad residue like nothing else. I may have missed it (even though I ran through the article 5 times), but sometimes, especially if you shoot a lot of heavy duck loads with nasty powder like Blue Dot, or you are clumsy and dunk the gun in muddy water, you need to pull out and clean the action spring and tube too. In fact the article on longevity is right on in suggesting replacing the action spring periodically.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yes!

Definitely a must read for all 1100 owners. I just bought a 1979 Tournament Trap a few weeks ago. We had a 100 bird event at the Trap club today. About 3 times the bolt didn't quite close all the way after the first shot during the doubles portion of the shooting.

When I got home I looked up this thread and followed it and hopefully got my problem solved.

I wish I would have read all the follow up posts before I did the whole procedure. I discovered Papa Ds post about the sharp edges inside the receiver to be VERY true. I was wiping the inside of the receiver back and forth with a rag around my middle finger when that sharp edge bit me.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Great Post! I finally slowed down and looked at the sticky posts at the top.

Thank you!

Maggs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:05 am 
Utility Grade

Hi all. I am a noobie on this forum and new to maintaining my shotty. It is a Remington 1100 Tac-4 with the 8 round magazine.

This thread is great! I am running into a problem in disassembling my 1100. It has the extended magazine, so there is a ring rather than a cap on the mag that holds the forend in place. It seems extremely tight when trying to turn it to the point that I am questioning whether it is supposed to unscrew and slide off the front of the mag tube. I don't want to mess it up.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Shark.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:52 am 
Utility Grade

I am new to this site - where can I find the article for cleaning the Remington 1100 that was written by Mr Wood?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:17 pm 

All you need to do is click on this topic and it is the first one. It is very long with some great photos.
And welcome to Shotgunworld.

American by birth, Texan by the Grace of God.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:38 pm 
Utility Grade

Bill - indeed a helpful post. I also noticed the carpet pad on your workbench to keep thing in their place and from getting scratched - another great idea. Will the bore cleaner damage the finish if it gets on the outside of the forearm?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:26 am 
Tournament Grade

Mr Wood: you are a scholar and a gentleman indeed. Ditto for others who contributed to this thread.
I just acquired a Rem Matched Pair mfg 1969, hardly shot at all, but also stored in a manner that has required serious cleaning. One thing that I've done immediately was to order a full set of quality cleaning devices, including good quality rod, jags, brass tornados and regular brass cleaning brushes all four skeet gauges. (I didn't even know what a jag was until this and similar threads on SGW.)
I'm also not very mechanical, but I got through the whole process last evening on the 28 no problem, so now I'm actually looking forward to tackling the 410.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:24 pm 
Utility Grade

I wanted to take a minute to thank Mr. William Wood for his excellent tutorial and to others adding to or contributing to this post/sticky. Thank you very much.

I have coveted my 1100 Semi-Auto since I won it in a raffle at a Turkey Shoot my dad took me to as a young lad. My Dad always taught me to clean my rifles (.22 cal semi auto and bolt action) but my training consisted of cleaning the barrel and maybe oiling the action if it appeared you could get some oil on any important parts by aiming and dripping. Dad was not big on dis assembling or thoroughly caring for the guns.

As a result, from approximately 1973 till now (admittedly, the gun has not been fired in 12 years) it has never been cleaned to the degree I just undertook as a result of Mr. Woods Tutorial.

Thanks again.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:59 pm 
Field Grade

Mr. Wood.

I also sincerely want to thank you for your post.

My wife and I have been shooting together for nearly 20 years. While we are quite experienced with handguns we have never owned a shotgun. I purchased a new Remington 1100 12ga. a few weeks ago. With the many years of experience cleaning handguns I was sure I would be able to figure it out but with this post it just made it very simple. By the way, we have taken to shooting clays and after two trips out with me the wife is researching shotguns for her.

Again, thanks for a wonderful and informative post.

Fernie.

Post subject: Re: How to clean the Rem 1100 - Complete Description With Photos
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:02 am 
Tournament Grade

Fantastic writeup and pictures.

The only comment I have relates to cleaning the magazine tube and piston. I use BreakFree CLP on my 1100 and it does not allow residue to bake on; it stays wet. All that's required is to wipe the old filthy black lube off with a rag, respray, and you're done. No steel wool, no scraping, no dental picks, nothing. I was amazed at how it stayed uncooked.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:36 am 
Tournament Grade

Thank you so much for posting this, I would have never got my gun back together without the pictures. I still took me multiple attempts to get the reciever back together right, but I wouldn't have managed it at all without this thread.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:31 am 
Field Grade

I'm living in retarded european metric system so I could not find suitable drill bit for cleaning those gas holes. Wheter the bit is too big or too small. What is the right size of the drill bit in your measurement system? I think I can find a one in local hardware store.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

The bit does not have to be exact. you spin it with your fingers kind of wallow it a little and it will clean the gas port. Just put the biggest bit you can into the hole with your fingers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:59 pm 
Field Grade

Smoky wrote:
The bit does not have to be exact. you spin it with your fingers kind of wallow it a little and it will clean the gas port. Just put the biggest bit you can into the hole with your fingers.

OK, thank you very kindly. 2,5 mm seems to be the one. Not too much dirt coming out. I suppose this is self cleaning system after all :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:12 pm 
Field Grade

Would it be a good idea to use Flitz metal polish on the mag tube?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Great write up Mr. Wood. I'll add two things that work for myself and my Son. First my Son doesn't have compressed air to clean his G3 so I told him to use the computer air in a can to dry off parts after a good solvent bath. The other tip for the Finish fellow is I use tip cleaners to clean the barrels gas ports. They are used to clean the tips on O2 /Act burning torches.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:35 pm 
Limited Edition

awesome article...these really are great shooting guns and should be cared for and cleaned properly...now we all know how...thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thank you Sir for the GREAT POST!

Between you and northeastm1a's post (Others as well), I have faith my old 1100 and new 1100 Competition to come will last long after I will be in the dirt... :lol: Truly many great years of fun and competitive shooting will be enjoyed without problems while watching others curse on the range for not treating their guns as they should.

As everyone else as faithful Remington owners or not have stated, This has been truly enlightening.

David

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next