It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: How to clean the Rem 1100 - Complete Description With Ph
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:35 am 
Field Grade

Great post!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:24 pm 
Utility Grade

I've been lurking on this forum for a while, and had to register to express my appreciation for this article. My 12 year old flat black 1100 is in for the cleaning of its life.

Thanks!
JB

Post subject: Re: re: How to clean the Rem 1100 - Complete Description Wit
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:19 am 
Crown Grade

Bwanar wrote:
How is the Mag spring and spring retainer removed? I remove the follower, but haven't removed the spring system yet.
Thanks in advance! Nice job on the pics.

I struggle to understand how you can remove the follower but don't know how to remove the mag spring and spring retainer.

If you can't remove the mag spring retainer, the only way to get the follower is out the back of the magazine and into the receiver. And if you can do that, your gun has serious problems.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you very much for this post. I inherited my grandfather's 1100 3 years ago. I took it to my local gun shop and they replaced the piston and o-ring assembly and said the gun was good to go. Embarrassingly I've shot it for 2 seasons without fully breaking it down because I was too scared to mess anything up. (I have cleaned the barrell but not "this" good). After reading this post and being on this website I took the plunge and broke it all the way down following your step by step process and it was great. I haven't had any issues with the gun but it was a little dirty and now it's not. Plus I know how to break it down now. Again, thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

Great series/pictures.

I just squirt a little oil into the works and clean the bore and my 1100 keeps chugging right along. If, however; I ignore the occasional oiling she will hang up sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:00 pm 
Field Grade

Well done, just finished reading everything and comments. Excellent job.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:48 pm 
Field Grade

Just bought my first 1100. It came from a pawn shop, apparently the previous owner believed in wiping the outside down, but never cleaned the insides. The exterior of the magazine tube has some heavy pitting on exterior near where the piston works etc. Is this something that I should be worried about?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I hope you didn't pay much for it, without looking it over. The magazine tube is not a DIY replacement project. I would clean it well, go over it with steel wool, lube it, and hope for the best. If the rings slide back and forth relatively freely over the pitting, it will probably function. I would carefully check over and clean the gas cylinder and ports as well. Mark

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:47 pm 
Field Grade

I paid 250 out the door for it, it has a 30" VR Full Choke Barrel, Here are the pics of the pitting I was talking about.

This is about the only negative on the gun.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:29 am 
Utility Grade

I inherited an 1973 1100 from my father-in-law that has pitting just like that. I've had no issues firing light to heavy loads with it so far. Hope the same goes for you!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:43 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks MarkL.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:29 am 
Presentation Grade

My Dad bought an 1100 with rust pitting just like that at a gun show over 30 years ago. I used a little fine steel wool & Hoppes #9 to remove the rust and smooth it down a little. That was my primary gun for over 20 years, and I'm guessing I put 30k rounds through it in that time. I still break out ol' Rusty when I'm in a shooting slump. My guess is your gun should function fine. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:53 am 
Limited Edition

For 1100 magazine tubes showing corrosion the tube can be coated with "Utra bore coat" ($50.00) used in rifle barrels to fill the corrosion pores. Once the coating has been applied place the shotgun's action in your kitchen oven to bake the coating into the metal. The final coating finish will be very smooth and so much easier to clean the magazine tube after use.

Super X

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Great info!!! I would just add to be careful when cleaning the inside of the receiver. There are a few razor sharp edges in there that WILL cut your fingers. I learned this the hard way. Then forgot. Then learned again...haha.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:17 am 
Limited Edition

A fantastic and informative thread. Thanks so much for creating this. It prompted me to break out my 20ga 1100 and give it a good cleaning this AM. It's a 1967 vintage and one of my very favorite rabbit/bird guns (26" Skeet).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:46 am 
Field Grade

Thank you for posting this very detailed and comprehensive description. I purchased an 1100 for hunting and, using these directions, took it down for cleaning and inspection. Excellent! For anyone reading the instructions and being a bit overwhelmed (I know I was), if you have a reasonable level of mechanical ability, Just Do It.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:58 am 
Presentation Grade

Tag

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:49 am 
Utility Grade

Needsome advice ...Glad to see this. I just recently got a Remington 1100 used and in great shape . Born date of March 1978. Found it hard a couple of time to chamber to Putin a shell. The bolt was a little tight . Also the shells seem to have back Firefox sparked in the chamber while I was shooting instead of heaving the flash come out the barrel , a couple of times. Is this a problem? When I got the gun it seemed to be dried if any oil ,so the guy who sold it to m, lubed the bolt and inside the chamber . Any guess why the bolt is hard to chamber at first and why back flash went in chamber , much appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:28 am 
Field Grade

Great post...thanks OP. I don't clean mine nearly as often or as throughly but our procedures are basically the same. I don't use any oil inside my receiver or trigger group. Trigger group is blasted with brake cleaner and the action rails where the link and carrier ride get a thin coat of grease. I also run the mag tube wet with RemOil to ease cleaning. I wipe the mag tube and clean the barrel and gas system every time I shoot. I take the trigger group out and clean the receiver, inside the mag tube and the action spring tube once a year...between 5-15k rounds.

These guns last forever and are extremely reliable when cared for...

http://emmetcountysportsmensclub.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6