It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to clean the Rem 1100 - Complete Description With Ph
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ParachuteAdams wrote:
I've been having some trouble cycling 1 0z. target loads, and the folks on the reloading forum seem to think it's primarily a matter of getting the gun really clean.

Cleaning is always the first place to start.
My 1100 was built in 1966. Before I started shooting it (Registered Trap) the outside of the mag tube still had plenty of blue on it. Now after thousands of rounds she is a bit more used looking.
I run my action a little wet with CLP. The CLP really helps the Piston and the Piston Seal move easier on the mag tube and will help keep the build up of garbage inside the gas chamber to a minimum. After shooting you will find that most of the crud will wipe off with a paper towel.

ParachuteAdams wrote:
How do I remove and clean the action spring, and what are the "gotchas?"

I use a screw driver to push down on the Action Spring Plug, push down just enough to take the spring pressure off of the Action Spring Plug Pin, thus letting you remove the pin.
Once the pin is out the rest is easy. Just pull the screwdriver out slowly. The Action Spring and the Action Spring Follower should come out real easy.

I use a cleaning rod with a cloth on the end to clean the tube.

I hope that this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:39 pm 
Limited Edition

ParachuteAdams wrote:

I use a screw driver to push down on the Action Spring Plug, push down just enough to take the spring pressure off of the Action Spring Plug Pin, thus letting you remove the pin.
Once the pin is out the rest is easy. Just pull the screwdriver out slowly. The Action Spring and the Action Spring Follower should come out real easy.

I hope that this helps.[/quote]

I guess I should have phrased my question better. After reading your response, I looked at the schematic in the manual. If I understand you and the drawing correctly, the action spring is accessed through the back of the stock, not from inside the receiver. Is this correct?

Thx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ParachuteAdams wrote:
ParachuteAdams wrote:

I hope that this helps.

I guess I should have phrased my question better. After reading your response, I looked at the schematic in the manual. If I understand you and the drawing correctly, the action spring is accessed through the back of the stock, not from inside the receiver. Is this correct?

Thx[/quote]

Yes the stock must be removed to do this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ParachuteAdams

Got your email and cant figure out how to respond so I will do it here.

Remove the butt pad, 2 screws.
Then you need a LARGE flat head screwdriver or one of the special tools that they sell on ebay or gunbroker that attaches to a socket wrench (I have one but really not needed).
Remove the nut that screws on the outside on the action tube. This is what holds the stock on.
The Action Spring is accessed this way.
If you need any more info please do not hesitate to ask.
When I was new to the gun I was real cautious about taking it apart, afraid that I might break something.

I actually had a little help from the guy that wrote this thread viewtopic.php?f=55&t=113015
He is a friend and one of the reasons that I chose an 1100 to be my full time Trap Gun. Thousands of rounds a year!

Once you take the gun apart a few times. you will see how really easy it is.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:36 am 
Limited Edition

LTB:

Thanks. I just removed the bolt, carrier, trigger a$$'y, etc., and will follow your directions a little later. (I'm off to the range to put a few holes in some paper with my .22) The sun is shining, the lawn is mowed, and I'm going to take advantage of it :D

By the way: you can send an email by clicking on the email icon at the bottom of this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Let me know how it turns out :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:57 am 
Limited Edition

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions. I did take the gun apart and clean it, but didn't go so far as to remove the stock and clean the action spring. As it turns out, the gun is working just fine now, and so as one of the folks in my club, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I concentrated on cleaning the gas ports with a drill bit, and got way more residue out than ever before. I then followed the lead from one of the folks on this forum and put a little CLP on the gas piston, i.e. run the gun wet. I shot some 1 oz loads without any trouble, and am now loading and shooting those loads exclusively.

Thanks again-

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Glad that it worked out for you!
The 1100 really is a great gun and with proper maintenance it will last a lifetime!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have done all the above posted but fo the life of me can't find any buffer pad in my

11-87 SP reciever.is it supposed to have one?

Well I found my answer in the stickys below this one.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Recently purchased an 1100 competition synthetic. First 1100 I ever owned. Followed these instructions, cleaned and lubed everything, assembled the gun and headed to the range. 200 smooth rounds later I returned to the house and repeated the process. I found a few wear spots and a bit of contamination but cleanup was simple. I sure am glad I found these pictures and information................ Larry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:19 am 
Utility Grade

Great post! And I expecially appreciate the photos.

Only thing I would add is a post reassembly checkout. "Jerry Kuhnhausen" has a great series of steps to check proper functioning in his Shop Manual, and I believe this book is out-of-print now. If there is any interest, I can try to recap these steps.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thank you OP and all for the information. I have never owned a semi-auto but recently purchased a used 1100 for my son and this will help us get it to the range.

Danny (#1 Dallas Cowboys fan)
NSCA 644679
ATA 1215927

Caesar Guerini Challenger-grade Impact

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:05 am 
Field Grade

I gotta say that I was extremely nervous to tear into my "new" 1100. It even looks complicated in the photos. But, once I started taking it apart, it was really quite simple. Thank you, thank you, thank you for an excellent guide! {hs#

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:10 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the guide! Really helped me out with cleaning my new 1100 CT.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:15 am 
Utility Grade

New to the 1100, I have a 410 version about 20 years old I have just brought

Sometimes when I reassemble I put the trigger assembly back in ok but when installing the action bar, the bolt just stops at the front of the slot (so you could just insert the handle) but will not go back fully, other times it slots is easily and moves back

I guess the locing bar must snag somewhere, please tell me the secret

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:54 am 
Diamond Grade

Bill,
Thanks for the excellent presentation on how to disassemble, clean, and assemble the 1100 shotgun. Your presentation is far better than the instructions found in the owner's manual and much easier to follow. I only have one suggestion to add to the presentation and this is very minor: The last thing to do after the 1100 is assembled is check to ensure the chamber is empty then squeeze the trigger to release the hammer from its cocked position. An experienced shooter would instinctively know to do this, however, some would follow your instructions to the letter and store the 1100 with the hammer cocked. The thought and care that you put into the presentation is a valuable maintenance source for all 1100 owners and is very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:03 pm 
Utility Grade

With respect i would suggest holding the cocking lever, press the bottom catch and slowly let the action run forward under conrol

Reason just respect for the moving parts and allowing things like the o ring and piston gear to gently move into position as they may be in the wrong positions after stripping

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:03 am 
Diamond Grade

I was always nervous about taking apart my gun to clean and would only do the easy parts frequently just to be safe but with this guide and pictures it has made the whole process easier.

Thanks.

Travis in NC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:09 am 
Utility Grade

WOW,
I didn't know a thing about disassembling and cleaning an 1100 until now. What a comprehensive set of instructions and tips I've found here. Thank you Mr. Wood and all the other guys who have added valuable info and tips to Mr. Wood's original post.
I can now buy an 1100 with confidence.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One thing I'd add to the tutorial is in the reassembly sequence #9 when putting on the "O" ring, I'd suggest pulling it down toward the piston rings before installing the barrel....then putting on the forend and Mag cap....then letting down the bolt by the operating handle will seat the "O" ring into it's position in the groove .....Over the years I've seen a number of the rings damaged exactly at this point by pushing the barrel over one already in position.....I really don't know why this happens but occasionally it does....it is easily prevented in the way I've described......Art

More irredeemably deplorable than ever before

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next