It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New 1100 Comp Syn - was before first firing, now jammed
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:34 pm 
Field Grade

Just went to Cabela's and came home with a NIB 1100 Competition Synthetic. I have been shooting a 1100 Classic borrowed from a friend and have been crushing the clays with it, so much that I wanted an 1100 for my own.

What should I do to get it ready for first firing? Are there any special steps to take? I have never had a brand new gun before, so this is new territory for me. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Last edited by bbain on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Brand New 1100 Comp Syn -- before first firing
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Decide if you will run it wet or dry and go shoot it. (the manual says dry, I chose wet)

I usually clean my new guns pretty thoroughly.

I see a number of other gas semi owners shoot handicap shells to 'break in' but I didn't find that necessary in my Comp 1100. It reliably ejects 3/4 oz to 9/8.

good luck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Read the Owner's Manual. Follow the cleaning procedure - you should only have to wipe off factory lube in most cases. Put it back together "PROPERLY" and go shoot it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:02 am 
Tournament Grade

Properly clean and lube. Seeing it`s the Competition, I would adjust the gun to have the "sight picture" that I want then I would pattern the gun to get the "pattern %" that I like and then go have fun shooting it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Do as every one above has said. Plus put a shell catcher on her. I bought one about 6 or 8 months ago. Love it, handles great. I run her a little wet. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:54 pm 
Field Grade

Well, I haven't even gotten it apart to clean it and I have a question: Is the narrow end of the link that resembles a pair of tweezers at the narrow end and a T at the muzzle end supposed to be attached to anything? it is just loose in the receiver and slides back and forth. Seems like it should attached to something. I have the barrel and action bars/bolt out but have not worked up the nerve to remove the trigger assembly yet.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

When completely assembled, the link is 'attached' to the action spring at the tweezer end and the action bar assembly at the T end in that each of those ends are touching or very close to those other parts. Feel free to take the trigger assembly out.

One hint - when reassembling all those parts back together, but the link in place and and then try to keep a little pressure on it with your finger while you are putting the trigger and bolt in place.

good luck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:03 am 
Crown Grade

YouTube can be your best friend at times like this!
Check this out....................https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ry=0&page=
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:37 pm 
Field Grade

I spent many minutes trying to get the trigger assembly back in place while keeping the link in place. It kept popping out of the action spring cup. Finally, someone in one of the YouTube video comments mentioned that putting the bolt and action bar assembly in place BEFORE putting the trigger assembly in would hold the link in place. What a difference! It was still multiple attempts to get the trigger assembly properly in place (it seems a bit "fiddly"). So, off to the range on Thursday to testfire and I anticipate crushing the clays!

Now that it seems that the gun is put together properly, the Owner's Manual makes no mention of how to adjust the stock's comb, etc. So that will be the next quest, right after I verify the function at the range.

Thanks for everyone's help.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:20 pm 
Field Grade

Well, today was a somewhat qualified success. After about 75 rounds of WInchester Universals (3 dram, 1200 fps, 1 1/8 oz. 7.5 shot), the gun jammed after discharge and I couldn't get the bolt to move backwards. An "old hand" at the range takes the gun holds the fore end, puts the butt on the ground with the barrel pointing down range and steps on the operating lever with his foot (heel) and pops the bolt back. The top of the shell crimp was all torn up. Pretty unnerving.

Looking for guidance on what might be the issue since I can't stop in the middle of a trap round and futz with the gun. Is there a recommended way to clear such a jam?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, don't shoot Winchester Universals. Tons of guns have had issues with them. Mine shoot them but they routinely end up with torn bases.

Post subject: Re: New 1100 Comp Syn -- was before first firing, now jammed
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:26 am 
Field Grade

We have an ATA registered shoot tomorrow. I have Remington Gun Clubs for that. If it does jam, a friend is bringing an extra 1100 since I won't be able to fiddle with mine to clear it while on the line. If it jams I will have to talk with Remington on Monday. It sucks not being able to trust the gun. And the way that the "old hand" cleared it seems pretty brute force to me.

If anybody has words of wisdom on this issue (steps to take to clear the jam) I am all ears! Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: New 1100 Comp Syn - was before first firing, now jammed
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have seen Expresses, Browning BPSs, Novas, and Mossberg 500s all beat on the ground to open the action after firing a Winchester Universal. Brute force is what it takes, and I have seen the extractor tear thru the head of the case so you have to stick a dowel down the barrel and hit that.
Some people wrap steel wool on a bore brush and spin it in the chamber to try to alleviate a rough chamber condition, but I prefer a drum brake wheel cylinder hone. IF you have a rough chamber I would call Remington on a new gun. IF. The steel wool will clean a dirty chamber quite well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:45 pm 
Crown Grade

bbain wrote:
I won't be able to fiddle with mine to clear it while on the line.
So is it against ATA rules to stop a round of trap momentarily to clear a gun?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:52 pm 
Limited Edition

If it helps, a friend of mine shoots your identical gun and stopped shooting those shells for that very reason...he said easiest way to not have that problem is not to shoot those shells. FWIW...seeming so many people having the same problem with them, might be worth trying a different shell..good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:32 pm 
Field Grade

Sobrepuesta wrote:
bbain wrote:
I won't be able to fiddle with mine to clear it while on the line.
So is it against ATA rules to stop a round of trap momentarily to clear a gun?

IIRC from watching the Olympics, in that level of competition, there is a time limit for the shooter of the maximum time to call for the bird. I am no expert on the ATA rules, and I could have missed it, but I didn't see anything in the ATA rule book about the amount of time in which to call for the bird, or leaving the line to clear a jam, or a momentary stoppage to clear a jam. However. it will disrupt the rhythm of the squad and the poor soul with a jammed gun will not be very popular!

Let us hope that worrying about taking the time to clear a jam won't be needed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:36 pm 
Field Grade

Virginian wrote:
I have seen Expresses, Browning BPSs, Novas, and Mossberg 500s all beat on the ground to open the action after firing a Winchester Universal. Brute force is what it takes, and I have seen the extractor tear thru the head of the case so you have to stick a dowel down the barrel and hit that.
Some people wrap steel wool on a bore brush and spin it in the chamber to try to alleviate a rough chamber condition, but I prefer a drum brake wheel cylinder hone. IF you have a rough chamber I would call Remington on a new gun. IF. The steel wool will clean a dirty chamber quite well.

Thank you for taking the time to answer. Having trouble with a new gun is very disconcerting. The chamber doesn't feel rough to me, so hopefully leaving the Winchester Universals at home will alleviate the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:35 pm 
Crown Grade

The barrel is fine. AS has been stated, Winchester Universals suck. I have two of Syn Comps and wouldn't consider using Universals in either one unless it was an act of desperation, as in someone is kicking in the door and Universals were the only shells I had. But that would never happen because I can't think of a reason in the world I would ever buy Universals.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:20 pm 
Field Grade

The 1100 and the BW shell catcher performed flawlessly today with Gun Clubs. Too bad I can't say the same for the shooter (20 points below my average!). I suppose it will take some time to get used to the new gun. I will tweak some adjustments to the butt stock and then off to the pattern board on Monday, after I brush up on the whole 13 yard patterning thread.

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:01 pm 
Field Grade

You have to work on the stock comb adjustment by the 'feel' of it. Keep in mind the sight picture you like and rise in small increments. Same with the off-set. You might get an instructor to help out. I shot 3 rounds of trap and left it where it was shooting "flat" - between 50/50 and 60/40. that is where I like it for skeet and clays. I really enjoyed the Competition Synthetic I got last summer. There is a sticky above giving pointers on keeping an 1100 running well.