It is currently Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Disassembly of Beretta 391
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This is the most comprehensive and detailed post I have ever seen. WHY didn't I see it before I tried to clean my 3901. I made a lot of mistakes, my thumb is numb from holding buttons (that thing is getting replaced) and I made up a whole new string of swear words. Thank you for this great post. I will have my iPad open to this instruction before I try it again.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:25 pm 
Utility Grade

Seamus,

Is the 391 book still available?

I've set up my 15 yr old grandson with a new 391 parallel target for trap & skeet. He really likes it but we are both wondering how much attention should be payed to the carbon build up on the piston and other parts of the gas system.

Do you address this in the book?

I've seen posts that say ignore it. Others that suggest getting a spare piston and keep one submerged in solvent. I tend to like to keep things clean???

Thanks,

Bob Peterson
peterson81@aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bob, I did get your e-mail on this subject. The reason I didn't respond is there are things going on that leave me with little time. I'm way behind on correspondence and on shipping books that have been ordered, and I apologize to everyone who is waiting. I expect to get caught up this weekend.

There is a little bit in the book about cleaning the piston, but it was not originally intended to be a comprehensive owner's manual, just a guide to disassembly/reassembly. I have added some comments about cleaning and maintenance in special areas that are unique to the Berettas. If I ever write another book, it will be a true owner's manual.

I addressed cleaning the piston in this thread, a couple of posts back, on Aug 17, 2012. Check it out.

I don't see any point whatsoever in trying to keep a piston perfectly clean. That is not necessary, and it serves no purpose except to make an obsessive/compulsive cleaner feel good. If you want to have two pistons and keep one soaking, you can do it, but I won't. After each of us has fired a half-dozen shots, your piston will be as dirty as mine, anyway.

Just a couple of points to add to what I said on Aug 17. - In that post I talked about using a pick to chip out the thick carbon deposits: as I said in the book, a dull utility knife also works well for the worst deposits in the top of the piston, although you will still need a pick to get inside.

The only really important thing to accomplish by cleaning is to keep the bushing in the center free to move in all directions a little bit. I haven't had much trouble with that, but a friend of mine (who cleans his gun more often than I do) recently had a stuck bushing. After cleaning out all the deposits he could, he stuck the shaft of a Phillips screwdriver through the bushing and put sideways pressure on it, to break the bushing free. It moved freely after that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I really want a copy of this book. Is Seamus still around? I tried emailing him, but have not heard back. I took apart my stock to get to the recoil spring. I want to replace it with a better spring than the factory one. Without these online instructions and help from another very helpful member, I would never have figured it out. Thanks to you both for all of the help.

I hope I can get a copy of this disassembly and reassembly book.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Savannah wrote:
I really want a copy of this book. Is Seamus still around? I tried emailing him, but have not heard back. I took apart my stock to get to the recoil spring. I want to replace it with a better spring than the factory one. Without these online instructions and help from another very helpful member, I would never have figured it out. Thanks to you both for all of the help.

He is still here, if you use the instructions in the OP, PayPal the funds, you will get your copy.

Savannah, did you figure out your 3901 issue.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

orphanedcowboy wrote:
Savannah wrote:

He is still here, if you use the instructions in the OP, PayPal the funds, you will get your copy.

Savannah, did you figure out your 3901 issue.

Thank you cowboy, I went back and found the instructions and sent a PayPal payment for a copy of the book.

I may have found the problem. I found some metal shavings near the recoil spring guide. Using Seamus' instructions, I removed the recoil spring and checked the recoil spring tube. I think the factory spring is just to weak and I am going to replace it with a stainless steel spring. I think the weak spring is allowing the bolt to hit the back end of the receiver and causing it to gouge the rails as well. Hopefully a stronger spring will stop this from happening. I have ordered the spring and will try it out again in a few days. I will report back on my post about the problem.

Thanks for asking.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Savanna, I did find your e-mail this morning, and my alter ego got the message from PayPal that you had ordered and paid. Thanks!

I didn't see it sooner because my wife has been sick (flu?) so I wasn't on the net much yesterday. I will get your book out today.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thank you. I hope your wife is feeling better.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Seamus

I haven't received my book yet , hope everything is ok . Sent you a pm on 8/31 and haven't gotten a response .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mike, your book was mailed last week. I didn't respond to the PM until tonight, because I was away from home over the holiday weekend. Yesterday was my mother's 93rd birthday. She does not have internet access in her home.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Not a problem sir, I actually became more concerned about you then the book. I have read your posts for a few years here and when I didnt see a post from you in a week I thought something bad might have happened .

ps, I just noticed we both joined this forum within a few months of each other , as you can see Im mostly read here .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, actually, something did happen - I came down with a case of diverticulitis, but it is under control now. I could have sent the book a few days earlier, but I let a lot of things slip last week because I felt like he//. I'm OK now. Sorry about the delay.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

lol , not a problem glad your back .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

Received my book today and all I can say is WOW , this book covers absolutely everything . Anyone who owns a 391 really needs to have this book .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:46 am 
Presentation Grade

Gret thread !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:41 pm 
Utility Grade

Just received my copy of Seamus' book and I will tell you its worth every penny and then some!
Thanks Seamus for doing a great job!
Chuck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Seamus,

Your manual arrived the other day. Thanks!! Very thorough and you've included some great explanations

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Seamus, I am considering having one of my 391's wood, hydro dipped. I have looked in the manual I purchased from you, and unless I am overlooking it. I can't find anything on removing the fore-end flange sleeve. Ant advise?

Know Guns --- Know Peace --- Know Safety
No Guns --- No Peace --- No Safety

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Seamus--Can you tell me how to remove the recoil spring cap if it doesn't have flat sides?
I purchased my 391 second hand, so I don't have the history, but the spring cap on mine looks to be machined metal, not black like the illustration on pg 16 of your book.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ordered another book. My son ruined mine!!! Thank you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next