It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A400 Xplor "Light"
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:31 pm 
Limited Edition

Hi River Hill,

Beretta now is selling a comb pad that is easily removed and the best part is it can be re-used on another gun or put back on the same gun. It's called a "Gel-Tech" pad and it is available from Brownell's. I have removed them and re-used them. They work as Beretta advertised. It raises the comb about 1/8" and is very soft on the face.

I bought 4 of them and intended to sell them to customers but the skeet season is pretty much over here in Vermont so I have used them all on my guns. I'll order more for next year.

I talked directly to the Beretta tech guys on Monday. I really can't get much info from Customer Support but I know the tech group from the days when they did all the Beretta parts themselves.

Butch said the A400 Light receiver is shorter (didn't know exactly how much) and the Light has all of the Kick Off features that the original A400 has, this includes the KO3 as Randy stated. He also confirmed that the receiver is silver vs green and the gun weighs 6.28 pounds. Brownell's has pads for this gun of various thicknesses so you can have it the right length of pull for summer and winter hunting.
The choice is getting harder between the A400 Light and the camo Vinci.
My problem is I don't have any way to handle new guns most of the time. I guess that's one of the draw backs of living in the sticks.
Ernie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

When is Beretta going to build a A400 heavy? What is this obsession with light guns? All the gizmos in the world will not reduce recoil half as much as a gun weighing 9 pounds. These Berettas have too much muzzle flip to be used in sporting clays which is a direct result of their light weight. As long as Beretta insist on making sub 7 pound A400s the 391 will not be replaced in the sporting clays arena because of the A400's light weight.

I grow tired of the same old ads from every gun maker who produces an auto. "It's the lightest, fastest, most reliable, softest shooting gun ever made." " It reduces felt recoil 72.6% over our competition."

Straight B.S.

I would love to see an ad stating "we built this gun for a man who wants to shoot more than 5 boxes of 12 gauge every season. This gun is for the shooter who puts 1000 rounds a week through his gun needs weight to soak up recoil (actual fee recoil not "felt")"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:13 pm 
Limited Edition

:D
Hi Squareload,

Yea, I get very sick of the current advertising, as you said.

I don't get to shoot 1000 rounds per week, only about 100 so light is good for me. Also for skeet I use 7/8 oz. reloads at about 1150 fps, very soft recoil.
I think for some old fart like me an A400 Light will be fine.

My son had a 391 Tekny's trap with, I think, a 32" barrel. I tried shooting skeet with it and found it too heavy for my style of shooting but it didn't kick.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

Peacore,

I am not saying that light guns shouldn't exist. I have light autos and I also concede that many people like them. I just can't believe that the current market can support so many of the EXACT same gun. Every current producer of autos is producing light guns. Currently the only auto that is heavy without adding all kinds of weight in a sporting version is the Remington 1100 Sporting. The Remington is lacking in many of the areas that make the Beretta series guns desirable.

I guess my beef is I shoot autos at sporting. I have taken apart the Beretta A400 and in my opinion it has a lot of great features that would be very desirable to a volume shooter (sans weight). My hope is they produce an 8 pound A400, I just don't know how they are going to make it heavy.

Good luck with your new gun
S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Squareload, you obviously like heavy guns for "volume shooting" (sporting clays, for example), and you must shoot better scores with heavy guns. I can understand that. What I can't understand is your attitude that heavy guns are best for everyone, and that all guns used for sporting clays should be heavy. That is just not right.

Some clay shooters (like me, for example) prefer light guns. We shoot better scores with light guns. We are not bothered by recoil or what you call "muzzle flip", even when we do shoot 1000 rounds a week. I have learned from 18 years of experience with at least a dozen different guns that light clays guns work better for me. The light guns helped put me in Master class and make me competitive there.

I'm not the only one who likes light clays guns. In fact, I think the main reason the Beretta 391 has become so popular among sporting clays shooters in the last few years is that many of us have learned that we shoot better with a light semi-auto than with the typical O/U.

There is a place for heavy clays guns, and there is a place for light clays guns. I really don't think you should be pontificating on how the kind of gun you prefer is the only kind that is suitable for clays use.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:05 pm 
Limited Edition

SquareLoad,
I think the lighter trend is a result of market studies, which show that shotgun buyers are generally aging and want a lighter, quicker handling gun. I can tell you as a middle aged wingshooter I thought the extrema2 was the end-all waterfowl shotgun, until I got my hands on a Maxus, which is 3/4 lb lighter. Last season, the Ext2 sat in the safe mostly, and I expect the same will happen this year. I sold off a few safe queens and bought the A400...great gun...took a non-KO version pheasant hunting and had a ball with it. Lighter to carry, quick to point, 6.7 lbs of well designed gun. Now, would I opt to shoot 3.5" loads in it? Not likely. Traditionally, an 8lb gun was the standard for waterfowl and many feel the same about their Clays gun. I expect Beretta will tweak the A400 and come out with a variety in the next few years for both specialties(waterfowl & clays). It certainly is more streamlined and sleeker than the EXtrema2. Personally, I don't care for the 391 series sporting stocks...the field stocks fit me better.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

In terms of just continuing our friendly discussion I think that I am in the majority with those who shoot heavy guns for sporting. Beretta even offers weights for their 391 sporting. The shoots I go to are dominated by Perazzi, Kreighoff and Blaser. None of which are light guns. Now I am not trying to make everyone shoot a heavy gun but none of the new autos offered in the last few years have been offered to the shooter who likes a gun with some heft to it. For the guy who likes a light gun there are plenty of choices in autos but the same cannot be said for those who like a heavy gun.

It has been my experience that most shooters (not all) shoot an 8 plus pound 12 bore at targets. I guess I just need to buy an 1100 and get over it. {hs# (but I like the Beretta's system better)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:37 am 
Utility Grade

Squareload: I only average 100 clays a week with my A400 Unico. "Muzzle flip"; that is definately not a problem with the A400. I like 1-1/8 oz loads, very light recoil actually less than my 20ga. It is a joy to carry and those that shoot it are amazed at the balance. Not trying to defend this shotgun, but weight is certainly not an issue in its shootability (if that is a real word?), or swing characteristics.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:10 am 
Limited Edition

:D
Hi 1911tex,

I'm thinking of buying the A400 Light with the Kick Off unit on the butt.

Does your gun have that option and what barrel length do you have?

I'm thinking of getting the 28" barrel to maybe balance the gun better if I do get the Kick Off. However, when I get to hunt geese from a layout blind I like a shorter barrel so I haven't decided yet what will be the best combination for me.

Any thoughts on the balance issue?

Thanks, Ernie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:22 am 
Utility Grade

Peacore: My Unico does not have the Kick-Off on the butt. Never plan to shoot the 3.5" super duper loads. BBL is 28" and love it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:53 pm 
Limited Edition

Peacore,
I have a pair in 26" and found the one with the KO needed more weight, so added a Briley 5oz replacement Mag cap...works great. I'd go with 28" if I had it to do again with the KO. My other one balances fine and only weights 6.7 lbs. The KO version with the Briley Cap is 7.25lbs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have asked Beretta about this gun in camo- a vague answer was given but reply was that we may see one next year. Maybe shot show in January will be when we find out for sure. We hosted the Beretta mobile showroom here this last September in Sun Valley Idaho and the X400 was a very well received gun by a host of our local shooters (free demo who wouldn’t like it)

www.silver-creek.com