It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: beretta Urika AL391 - 2 End cap ?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:47 pm 
Utility Grade

Sorry for the questions but trying to get my Beretta Urika AL 391-2
up and running with a sling for hunting. Here goes, I purchased a Sure Cycle forend cap
with swivel. My original cap has a spring in it and compresses, The new sure cycle cap does not.
Is this new sure cycle cap going to work on my gun since it does not compress like the oem cap ?

Post subject: Re: beretta Urika AL391 - 2 End cap ?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If it is designed for it, should work. I don't see Jeff turning out a product that would potentially damage a gun.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am not familiar with the Sure Cycle cap, but if it does not have a spring of some sort, don't use it!

The 391, like all the Berettas in the 300 series, requires spring pressure to hold the barrel tightly against the receiver, while allowing the barrel to lengthen as it warms up from shooting, and to absorb vibrations. Even the earliest models (300 - 303) had a little spring force in the forend cap, in the form of a stack of Belleville washers. The 390/3901 has a long, separate spring, and the 391 has a short spring inside the cap.

Just pressing the barrel in place tightly with a solid forend nut is not enough. As the barrel warms up, the cap will get tighter, putting pressure on the gas cylinder. Without anything to absorb vibrations, you risk breaking the gas cylinder off the barrel.

I have seen pictures of gas cylinders that came off the barrel. While a defective weld (brazed?) may be involved, Beretta has claimed in some cases that it was the owner's fault for allowing the forend cap to get rusted up to the point that the spring would not function. I think they later accepted responsibility in some cases, but their initial response points out that they consider the spring to be very important.

My guess is, using an aftermarket cap without a spring in it would void the warrantee on the gun.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Here is a update, I called Sure Cycle and they seem to be very knowledgeable about Beretta and say this is really a better cap then the oem. What impressed me was he went on to explain why and they have had nothing but good reviews. So I'm gonna test it out

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oh, and I replaced my rubber tires with steel ones!

About the same effect, I agree with Seamus! When metal expands, something has to give. How many stocks do you suppose have been cracked by overly tight stock bolts, when the wood drew moisture and expanded? Lots of them!

The world is full of snake oil salesmen, just ask Barnum and Baily!

Remember which party got us to where we are, (along with too many RINOs)!
VOTE!

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:07 am 
Utility Grade

how are the Briley end caps?
I have been thinking about replacing mine, too lazy to really clean it out correctly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was looking at a Montefeltro and noticed the forend nut looks like Seamus's converted 391 nut, any one have both that they can try the Monte nut.on the 391?

Delivered by a sleigh and 8 tiny reindeer

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA 646442

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The spring in the 391 cap is what adjusts the headspace in the gun as it heats up or cools down, VERY important! Without it you will either break off your gas valve assembly or the cap/fore-end will keep coming loose, and probably not much middle ground. You may have a 390 cap and not a 391 cap -- ??

The Briley caps are good, very easy to disassemble to clean, but the easy disassembly means that sometimes the pieces keep coming apart and need a little thread locker to hold them together -- which in turn makes the disassembly for cleaning more problematic, effectively nullifying the initial benefit. They look cool and are available in several colors.

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with factory caps. The small stock one weighs 3 oz, or if you want adjustable 4, 6 and 8oz, there is the weighted target set available from Beretta and Brownell's, and I'm sure a few others. This is what I now use on my main target guns, use the stock cap on my field 391's.

The simple answer is, "K80, 32" flat-rib bbls, S&S custom stock, 55/45, Bornaghi 1oz 1250 7-½'s, M/M, Castelani, Lonesome Charlie, K-lube, qMaxx blue, Bore-snake, green Brake-cleen, and a very cold and dry Stoli martini."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:32 pm 
Limited Edition

Does anyone know what the construction of the A300 Outlander Forend cap is?

Vic.