It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: silver pigeon II OR III
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:48 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm wanting to purchase a Beretta silver pigeon . is there a big difference between the II and III. i know the III has more engraving but for the money is the difference that much and if so what are they I'm looking at a 20 ga/28" thank you

Post subject: Re: silver pigeon II OR III
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:07 am 
Presentation Grade

Same gun, different styles of engraving...

My preference is for the SP II- I have a 12 and a 20/28 two barrel set. The relief engraving is reminicent of the Germanic style. The engraving on the III, IV, and V is the same except that the III is in the white, the IV is Gold inlaid birds over a blued receiver, and the V is gold inlaid birds over faux case coloring. I, for one, do not care for how the birds are depicted on the sideplates, as the engraving doesn't faithfully portray the magnificent game birds as they are in nature. JMHO... your results may vary.

Although some may tell you that you will find a better grade of wood on the higher graded guns, I have found that to be untrue with the exception of the V , which seems to usually have a better stick of wood on average, but not always so. I have passed over several SP V .410s due to rather mediocre stocks that were much lower grades than they should be. I will eventually buy a Joel Etchen SP II Sporting 28/.410 with 30" tubes and Strada rib when the opportunity avails itself.

That said, both of my SP IIs have wood graded at EELL or AAA-AAA+, even by Rich Cole standards and would be $900-$1200 add ons if purchased aftermarket.

Last edited by strato-caster on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:47 am 
Crown Grade

There are the same gun with difference engraving.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:42 am 
Limited Edition

Fancy engraving is overrated IMO. Get the SPII. If you want to save even some more, look for a SPI. Great gun for the money. For the record, I have a SPII and have no desire to have any more engraving or fancier wood than what I already have.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:32 am 
Utility Grade

I purchased a white onyx last nite . It just felt really good wasn't impressed with the engraving on the the Sp 1. The Sp felt lighter but i think I'll enjoy the the onyx . I plan to use it for trap and skeet . I liked the Sp 2 but they are hard to find i guess they are not making them anymore . That is what i was told by Beretta . Thank you for your help .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was informed by Beretta that the SP !! is no longer being made..and the price on a good used one is above the retail of a new one eg: 2898. I have all 68 series in small gauges and find the sp II to be prettier...however, internally they are the same as a SP I or white onyx...you pay more for pretty...wood is a disappointment for most Beretta guns when compared to my other B guns...my favorite is a SP II 28 gauge, 30" barrels, manual safety. I have gravitated toward Beretta after issues with some Citori guns...nothing major, just small, repetitive and annoying...plus, the Beretta seems to be a better fit without special fitting...but that is just my .02$ some may find it quite the opposite for them...however, no reservation about recommending the Beretta from top to bottom...but not too crazy about their SXS guns... :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:05 am 
Limited Edition

Yeah, the SPII has not been made for quite a few years now. They are a nice mix of engraving and function. I still have my 12 gauge SPII but sold my 28 gauge last year because i didn't shoot it much. They are great guns.