It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Load combination for my Whitewing (686)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:32 pm 
Field Grade

Hi folks, I took this to the Beretta web site and asked question on-line. Must say I am a little disappointed in their agents. Seem like global resources that may not have ever seen a shotgun. In any event, my Whitewing O/U is a .20 ga, 3", 26 1/2 ". I asked this question:
Hello, I purchased a 20 Ga. Whitewing from Dicks Sporting Goods a number of years back. I believe it came with 3 'mobilechokes'. The documentation suggests the chamber is 3 inches, so I assume I could use 3 inch shells. I purchased some "Remington Nitro Pheasant" loads which are 3 In. and 1 1/4 oz. of shot (#5). The box states these are copper plated hard lead shot. Is this shotshell safe to fire out of my Whitewing, regardless of choke? I was considering using this in the second-fired barell, since the bird will likely be further away, does that make sense and would these pattern well? Thanks!
So I just want to make sure that load thru even a full mobilechoke would not be harmful in any way? I hunt grouse and pheasant mostly, and have bottom / top at IC / M, with bottom first to fire. I also have a full choke, but have not really used it yet. To this point I have only used 2 3/4 shells (usually 7 1/2 in first and 6 in second) but wondered for second shot (usually long) - would I benefit with 3" ? And then, wouldnt most Beretta's with 26 1/2 in barrels pattern mostly the same, and if so, anyone have any better recommendation for a 3" load to try ?
Thanks in advance for advice and opinions...

Post subject: Re: Load combination for my Whitewing (686)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not sure if you are looking for an answer here? My opinion is that any 3" or shorter lead load will be safe to shoot in that gun with any choke. You will probably have to shoot a couple of patterns through the full choke to see what it is actually doing. I think most Berettas would pattern the same way. That is why they can mark the chokes mod, full, etc. But I also think that a 3", 1 1/4 load might pattern different than lighter loads. I would suggest shoot a pattern with the mod choke and then the full choke and see how they compare.
I like the whitewing. never seen one in 20 gauge. I have shot some 3" 20 gauge loads. definitely got my attention in a light gun.
Not sure how Beretta handles their website. Have never seen it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:51 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the info - yes, that is what I was looking for. I do not know enough about metal strengths, so when I see copper coated lead, I wasnt sure if that is closer to steel, or closer to lead. So I am heeding the warning in my gun manual to not throw steel from a F choke, and thus the question. So I guess if the shot is not solid steel, other metals (plated, etc) would be fine for the choke/barrel.

And yes, the 6+ lb gun does a fair kick, so perhaps a 3" load out of second barrel will provide extra incentive to get it right the 'first' time :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

copper shot has a thin copper "wash" over the lead shot. Nickel shot has a thin nickel plating. Both shot behave just like uncoated lead shot. The hardness of the lead shot is determined by the percentage of antimony alloyed in. Not so much from the surface coatings.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:09 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you Bill M ! I shot a cockbird this AM with my Small Munsterlander, and then patterned the 3" along with 2 other 2 3/4 - #6. I almost think the Winchester 6's beats it out - and as you warned, I also "noticed" the 3" ! I need a better patterning process though - freehand is probably not the answer - but I got the idea..

Thanks again....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:51 am 
Presentation Grade

You are good for any load in that 20 gauge. The only issue you might have would be steel shot in the full choke. I'd avoid that, but anything else is fine.
Gofer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:05 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks again folks !